Is VT-d worth it?

• Yes, absolutely

Votes: 24 72.7%
  • Nah, VT-x is good enough

Votes: 9 27.3%

• Total voters

memphist0

Gawd
Just noticed with the K version of Ivy Bridge VT-d is disabled, Not sure why Intel did that. Anyway I was wondering for those of you that might have VT-d enabled processors is it worth it? The only VM software I use is Workstation 8.

If you have a use for it, definitely. You either need vt-d or you don't imo - if you aren't going to use passthrough, then it's a nonfactor.

Havent needed it yet, I keep rolling back to Vmware workstation.
The 1366 rig in my sig supports Vt-d, but until it retires I cant use it for the server. That and the board has a bad DIMM slot anyway....needs to be RMA'ed.

I don't think you can take advantage of VT-d with VMWare Workstation 8 (VT-x is required though).

My hosts support it..The only time I've used it was for testing something and doing a course lab. Else I never use it.

If your going to do the best thing ever, aka an All In One solution, then yea you need it

workstation does not use vt-d anyway. I know ESXi does and so does cytrix'x version but I am unsure what other os's do.

If your going to do the best thing ever, aka an All In One solution, then yea you need it

Haha, great take on it. Passthrough of an hba is really a fantastic use, and shouldn't be discounted. VGA passthrough is still buggy, but if you get it working has some nice upsides, not to mention is simply very neat.

I don't think you can take advantage of VT-d with VMWare Workstation 8 (VT-x is required though).

Thats basicly what I was saying, I keep using my VMs in Workstation instead ESXi...
...and none of my hardware supports VT-d, except the Rampage in my main system. Which I dont use ESXi or workstation on. The other two systems are for those. Mainly the server. The ESXi test bed has parts borrowed from it at the moment.

hey guys I'm wondering what's the cheapest way to do this with nested virtual machines? Is the 1045t a better choice than a 2500? I need it to support vt-d, Thanks

If you think VT-x and VT-d are similar features that can be compared to each other, then you really have no clue what the purpose and benefits of VT-d are.

Back