VPS/Dedicated servers

tdktank59

Gawd
Hey everyone. I know there is a hosting sticky for this sorta. Its old and out of date (my post from 2008 or 2009 on a shared hosting provider is still only 1 page back) and doesn't really adress my issue that im having, anyways...

I am currently using Linode, had a DDoS attack and they basically said there was nothing they could do besides recommend for me to use a 3rd party mitigation service (cloud flare was an example they used). We ended up going with that and while it works great its pricy so I started doing some searching around for other competitors to linode that offered DDoS services either for free or a more reasonable charge (or more features such as for multiple servers).

Came up with Rack Space, Liquid Web and 1and1 (there are more but I wont go into depth of the ones that failed to make the cut.)

Rack Space and Liquid Web have recent reviews on their VPS solutions and look great, great features and all sorts of other stuff, and LW offered a DDoS protection service for all servers on my account while RS would offer me a cisco asa hardware layer. Both similarly priced with linode and all that sort of jazz and offer the features I need/want. (some that linode did not offer such as block storage)

Which leaves 1and1. Their prices are bottom of the barrel and while when talking to support and sales they answered all my requirement questions and assured me performance would be good. They also offer free DDoS services since they want to protect their network. I wanted to get some reviews from any users using 1and1 for either dedicated or VPS solutions (root servers as some refer to them as). Most of the reviews out there are for shared hosting and old, or just bashing them with no reason or proof involved. Whats fun is even the support guy (seemed technical) said that shared hosting sucks because its always changing and more people come and go etc... Felt good that he was able to rag on his own companies service!

So basically i need root, don't want a control panel (plesk or cpanel, plus they wont run on ubuntu anyways) since I know how to manage my servers. Shouldn't need to talk to support unless there is hardware failure or an issue with their service. So as long as I can get stuff done and only talk to them about billing and getting new gear and what not ill be happy with un-knowledgeable support. Just want to know if their gear is good and reliable compared to the any other server company.

The main reason im looking at 1and1 is that they are so cheap, and id like to save money if their hardware and network are good.

TO mods: I understand if you lock this, just trying to get relevant results since the hosting tread is basically useless when looking for anything other than shared hosting.

1and1 stinks. Linode is really one of the best VPS places around, if you're getting DDOS'ed none of the low-end providers are going to be able to help you out.

Ok, so these two snippets are the ones to focus on...
Rack Space and Liquid Web have recent reviews on their VPS solutions and look great, great features and all sorts of other stuff, and LW offered a DDoS protection service for all servers on my account while RS would offer me a cisco asa hardware layer. Both similarly priced with linode and all that sort of jazz and offer the features I need/want. (some that linode did not offer such as block storage)
The main reason im looking at 1and1 is that they are so cheap, and id like to save money if their hardware and network are good.

It honestly sounds like you've already made the first step by tossing out 1and1 as a contender, but are looking for a reason to leave them in the running. If uptime and resilience are so important, then why wouldn't you go with a host that will make you happy and provide the features you need?

If price is the only concern, then think about this math: take a yearly cost of RackSpace or LiquidWeb, then subtract the yearly cost of 1and1. Divide the remainder by 12 to see a per-month difference. Then ask yourself whether that dividend is worth the potential time spent dealing with a host that is insufficient for your needs.

And just to be clear -- The point I am trying to make is that sometimes it's better to only cry once.

1and1 stinks. Linode is really one of the best VPS places around, if you're getting DDOS'ed none of the low-end providers are going to be able to help you out.

I appreciate the response, Linode is great! its the issue that they do not have anything for me other than o go to the third party.

the others had solutions for me, to solve my issues for all of my clients rather than just one of them.

Ok, so these two snippets are the ones to focus on...
It honestly sounds like you've already made the first step by tossing out 1and1 as a contender, but are looking for a reason to leave them in the running. If uptime and resilience are so important, then why wouldn't you go with a host that will make you happy and provide the features you need?
Yes and no, im only familiar with their shared service, not their dedicated or vps solutions.
Really ive already thrown out their VPS solutions since they don't provide internal networking, So I have to go out and back in and their dedi's come with unlimited bandwidth.

That being said I have never delt with these services and 99% of the reviews out there that I found are for their shared hosting. So looking for some answers. Maybe that is the answer that no one has reviewed them for their dedis and other things.

If price is the only concern, then think about this math: take a yearly cost of RackSpace or LiquidWeb, then subtract the yearly cost of 1and1. Divide the remainder by 12 to see a per-month difference. Then ask yourself whether that dividend is worth the potential time spent dealing with a host that is insufficient for your needs.

I will, thanks. Price is not the only thing im considering. Theres some cool stuff I can do with LiquidWeb that no one else offers. However Rack space is just as good. It all depends on how much them come back to me with for the price of an asa.

And just to be clear -- The point I am trying to make is that sometimes it's better to only cry once.

I appreciate it. And thats why im asking these questions, is it worth considering them at all. I couldn't find the answer on the web so figured some more "hardcore" people may have some experience to share. I had a client a year or so back that was on 1and1 but I don't remember why we moved from them. However thinking back and all I can remember was plesk was the reason, and price... And through linode I could offer him a cheaper solution that out performed it. That is no longer the case, and I don't have to get plesk on my server so all is good there.

You may want to look into digital ocean. They have competitive prices and give you SSDs. Not sure on their ddos policy as I'm not using them but I know of 2 people who are using their low end package without complaints.

You could talk to colocateusa.net we have dedicated services with them and a very good price and have not had a issue at all with them. We have had the services for just over a year now.

Back