VPN on my server. How to get other PC's on network to use it.

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
Hey guys.
Looking for a little guidance on this issue. I have a Win7 machine that shares my internet to my other PC's through a switch/hub. Set up a VPN to get my blacked -out NHL games. When it is enabled the rest of my network looses internet.
Any help is appreciated.

o_O people share internet like this still?
I think you should do one of the DIY routers like pfsense and have it share the internet to your LAN as well as do you vpn connection.

Your setup should be as follows:

Wireless endpoints:
Internet -> Modem -> Wireless Router/Firewall -> <Access Point(s)> if you use them instead of a wireless router ->
Wireless Endpoints (laptop, printers, phones, etc.)

Wired endpoints:
Internet -> Modem -> Router/Firewall -> Switch-> Wireless APs(if applicable) or Wired Endpoints (servers, PCs, printers, etc.)

If you are just trying to use an external VPN service to access blacked out sports games, then all you need to do is use the VPN service's client on that computer to connect and then stream. That's the easiest way, and pretty standard. Or, you are you trying to use a VPN on a server, and route your local computers through that server so they are all connected via VPN? If you don't know exactly what you are doing with routing, NAT, and security rules for thje latter will be very difficult for you to do and reliability will be a concern here.

Your setup should be as follows:

Wireless endpoints:
Internet -> Modem -> Wireless Router/Firewall -> <Access Point(s)> if you use them instead of a wireless router ->
Wireless Endpoints (laptop, printers, phones, etc.)

Wired endpoints:
Internet -> Modem -> Router/Firewall -> Switch-> Wireless APs(if applicable) or Wired Endpoints (servers, PCs, printers, etc.)

If you are just trying to use an external VPN service to access blacked out sports games, then all you need to do is use the VPN service's client on that computer to connect and then stream. That's the easiest way, and pretty standard. Or, you are you trying to use a VPN on a server, and route your local computers through that server so they are all connected via VPN? If you don't know exactly what you are doing with routing, NAT, and security rules for thje latter will be very difficult for you to do and reliability will be a concern here.
Thanks. I will try the easier way and see how it goes.

Back