VHDL/FPGA Boards

JC0724

Weaksauce
I am in a Logic Design Class and we are now writing code in VHDL and Using a Spartan 3E Nexus 2 board I believe. I really like it so I decided I want to get my on FPGA board to practice on my own for class and when the class is over.

I am using Xilinx software and board so I figured I should get that. I can't seem to find a Spartan 3E Nexus board so I was looking to purchase the Spartan-3E Starter Kit.

This may be a dumb question but I am not sure if the Spartan-3E Starter Kit will work the same as the Spartan 3E Nexus 2 board. Can anybody verify this for me?

What do you mean by "work the same"? They're both FPGA boards, so I'd imagine that they would work the same, especially since both boards are 3E. The Xilinx site should give you the specs to compare the models as far as features go. I believe the Nexus is for the JTAG interface, but its been a while since I've worked with those boards, sorry.

Last edited:
ok I am still learning this. What exactly is a FPGA board and JTAG interface?

My originally question which is probably not really a smart one. Is I can't find a Spartan 3E Nexus board to buy so I am wondering if I get the Spartan-3E Starter Kit, will it do everything the Nexus board does?

I can't compare specs of the two since I can't seem to find a Spartan 3E Nexus to compare to the Spartan-3E Starter Kit. Like I said this could be a dumb question as they might just happen to be the exact same boards.

Thanks that actually helped a lot, I can compare and see the differences.

What is Dilgilent vs Xilinx?

Digilent designs the board around a Xilinx Spartan 3E FPGA

Back