Using unsupported cpu in MB ?

MindBuster

2[H]4U
So, I got enough spare parts from dumpster diving to build a complete rig, but the MB only supports certain cpu's, would anything happen if I tried using an unsupported cpu ? like frying anything or would it just not boot ?

Parts:

ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 (cpu list: http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 )
9800GTX
512MB DDR400
600w psu
250GB HDD

and a E8400 I would like to try, I also have a E2160 that already sat in the MB, but would ofcourse like to get the E8400 running.

The cpu support list stops at E7500, but would there be any chance/risk trying the E8400 ?

Chances are the e8400 just didn't exist when the support list was made. Make sure you are running the latest bios and go for it. At worst it just won't work or may not be able to identify the CPU and you'll have to set the multi and such yourself. Not really any chance of frying something.

Yep, you may need another cheap LGA775 chip to do a BIOS update before the E8400 will work (pick up a LGA775 Pentium D for cost of shipping used somewhere) but I'd try with the E8400 itself first. It won't fry anything, but it may not post if the microcode isn't recognized.

Back