Using a 32" lcd tv as computer monitor?

Stongatola

n00b
Hello...

I'm looking at possibly purchasing this 32" samsung TV http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10099955&catid=23521&logon=&langid=EN TV as my computer monitor, primarily for gaming, surfing, and some autoCAD. It's 1080p (running at 1920x1080 or so) and has a 5 ms response time. I'm also considering the Hanns-G 28", but for various reasons I'd "rather" get the TV.

To be honest, I'm concerned about ordering the Hanns-G online because of shipping costs, and limited return policy, and, as such, I'd rather get the LCD tv as I can purchase it locally and can return it within 30 days if I don't like it (all for around the same price as the Hanns-G).

I'd be viewing the monitor from about 3' away, and I'd like any/all opinions on using the TV as a computer monitor. Lastly, I should note that it wouldn't be for watching movies, or TV, to be honest.

Thanks in advance, and I haven't seen any posts on the issue by using the search function.

Thanks again...

Dave

Go with the 32" I have the Toshiba 1080p 32rv530 and absolutely LOVE it. Just for reference this was an upgrade from a Dell 2407, and i use it for PC, Xbox 360 and PS3

How far away do you sit from it, and how's the text look? While I know it'll be great for gaming, I do surf and autocad with it. That's my main concern, and I would be replacing a 22" acer...

Dave

About 3 feet, and the text looks fine. Can't comment on autocad though.

I've been running a Westinghouse 37" 1080p LVM-37w3 for almost 2 years. 1080p is a great resolution, and I prefer it to 1920x1200 just for it's native resolution when playing on multimedia devicess (PS3/360/BluRay/HD-DVD, HD Satellite). 3 feet is about right for this screen size as a monitor.

Ah, finally a thread discussing TVs as PC Displays.

I'm also considering this as an option. Some other questions worth asking:

Input lag - is it on a par with the pitiful lineup of non-TN 24-30" PC displays (30-50ms) or worse?

Sharpness - any setting is going to make text look like crap. I know the Samsung series 6 allows you to disable processing, but the Panasonic TVs cannot. Are there other models that allow processing or sharpness to be disabled?

Screen door effect - sitting so close to a large screen, can you see the chicken wire effect?

From what I've heard the Sharps use a pixel technology that causes text to look bad, I could be mistaken but i would definitely check on it before buying one. I do not have a sharp but this is just what i have heard. I notice no input lag on my particular monitor but i can not speak for others.

As far as sharpness i am unsure on my Toshiba it can be turned down to 0 but i am don't know if it can be turned off.

Screen door effect, Not unless i get within a foot or so of the screen.

i have a cheap 32" LCD 720p and i use it for everything, i play CS:S and BF2 on it no issues at all...

the text on websites is totally readable from 8 feet away

Big thing with sitting close to an lcd tv is brightness. LCD tvs are brighter then a pc monitor because they are designed for someone sitting farther away. Just make sure that you can dim the one you are looking at enough for close viewing.

Ah, finally a thread discussing TVs as PC Displays.

Input lag - is it on a par with the pitiful lineup of non-TN 24-30" PC displays (30-50ms) or worse?

Sharpness - any setting is going to make text look like crap. I know the Samsung series 6 allows you to disable processing, but the Panasonic TVs cannot. Are there other models that allow processing or sharpness to be disabled?

Screen door effect - sitting so close to a large screen, can you see the chicken wire effect?

Sorry, just to ask a couple of things off of your questions: Sharpness as mentioned...I'm looking at the Samsung LN32A550, but I don't see any mention of disabling processing. Can't see anything on that. What is it exactly?

As well, what is this screen door/chicken wire effect you're referring to?

I'm assuming that at 5ms, it'll be on par with my Acer for any lag, as that's the listed spec as well...

For the most part, it'll be used for gaming, but I would still like to surf and use it for other reading, not just gaming...

Thanks in advance...

Dave

I'd REALLY appreciate some more feedback as I am in the same boat. I am thinking about returning my L227WTG for the 32"samsung. One of the reasons I upgraded from my 19" CRT in the first place was because it was giving me eye strain but the LG hasn't helped like I thought it would. Perhaps people are just not meant to spend long hours infront of a PC?

Now, a lot of people seem to be happy with their LCD TVs as computer monitors but has anyone tried it and was not happy maybe they thought it was too big for example? Can anyone think of any cons? The only one that comes to mind is bigger screen equates to higher power consumption but that should be offset by the fact that I now have the ability to watch TV, movies and hook up all my consoles for some HD goodness! 32" should also make reading text easier as it is bigger and I will be sitting 3' away.

Any reason to look at other brands such as sony, sharp, toshiba, panasonic etc.. or stick with samsung? It seems to be highly recommended, not to mention it's cheaper! :p

Back