User login to CMD window- no desktop

RocketTech

2[H]4U
Dunno if I'm overtired or what, but I can't remember where to fix this:
Windows 7 SP1, user logs in and no desktop, just cmd window. Type 'explorer', hit enter and the desktop appears. Seems to me 'explorer.exe' was deleted from the login script, but I cannot for the life of me find to re-enable it. All other accounts login to desktop normally.
Scanned for malware offline, none found.
Checked running processes, nothing leapt out at me.
Used Autoruns and MSconfig to no avail.
Checked the registry at HKLM\CurrentUser, nothing jumped out at me. Disabled everything in the Run folder just to be sure.
No System Restore points available. I think this computer was recently hit by the FBI warning.

Help a brother out?

Try this,
Run regedit and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon and look for a shell key with a value of cmd.exe and delete it.

May also need HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor and look for an autorun key with that exe and delete it as well.

Try this,
Run regedit and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon and look for a shell key with a value of cmd.exe and delete it.

May also need HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor and look for an autorun key with that exe and delete it as well.

The WindowsNT\...Winlogon key with the cmd.exe value did the trick- saved my bacon. Only other think I could think to do was delete and add the user again.

How'd you come across that key? I'll have to remember it.

I had the same issue awhile back. I still had a page bookmarked that had the solution on it. Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Back