Used gpu- good idea?

rage4order

Gawd
I know this probably been asked a million times, but thoughts on used gpu's? My son need a new-ish gpu and someone is selling a Radeon 6650xt on marketplace for $220. From what I've read, this is a good mid-tier gpu. Is this a good price and what are your experiences buying used?

Agree with pendragon1. At $220, you might as well buy new. Why not look at this forum’s For Sale For Trade section?
I been looking the last few days and hadn't seen anything. I'd like to keep it at or below $200. I'll keep checking.

Buying any used pc parts is always a roll of the dice, but usually, if bought from a reputable seller, you can grab some pretty good deals....I have successfully bought (& sold) tons of hardware here & at some other tech forums nottaproblemo, so perhaps I have been fortunate in that regard...

However, I agree, $220 is a bit steep for that used card :)

I just passed on my HD 7970 to I believe it's fourth owner...still going strong over a decade later. I've had good luck with hardware making it well past its usable lifetime, so as long as the price is right I've got no concerns about buying used. Even mining/AI cards don't bother me too much for the right price.

what are your experiences buying used?
Excellent, GPU-CPU-system can be somewhat stress tested right away and you roll the dice like a new one that would have no warranty after that.

Electronic chips themselve rarely have issue everything said and it is not a house-new car level or big nice oled tv expense for the warranty to matter that much. The one GPU that broke for me in my life was bought new and had its issue right after the warranty window was done.

You can have a new 7600 for $250 + tax right now too, which is not a stronger card than a 6650xt, about tie at 1080p.

But could have longer-better driver support, display port 2.1, hdmi 2.1a, full av1 encoding if he is into streaming, if the 6650xt is cheaper specially with no tax can still be a good option, but I feel it mean it should be a bit cheaper with no warranty-used.

I know this probably been asked a million times, but thoughts on used gpu's? My son need a new-ish gpu and someone is selling a Radeon 6650xt on marketplace for $220. From what I've read, this is a good mid-tier gpu. Is this a good price and what are your experiences buying used?
In general, used GPU's can be a great value. But, you should either test before exchanging cash or buy from a seller that offers returns, like a refurbisher.

The price for the one you are looking at is a hard pass for me. Without knowing the brand and specs of the model I see new 6650XT's going for $250-260 - retail return policy, full warranty, etc. At those prices (10-15% discount), you might look for an open box return at a reputable seller online.

I see lots of marketplace sellers asking nearly full retail for their used stuff. Hard pass for me.

In general, used GPU's can be a great value. But, you should either test before exchanging cash or buy from a seller that offers returns, like a refurbisher.

The price for the one you are looking at is a hard pass for me. Without knowing the brand and specs of the model I see new 6650XT's going for $250-260 - retail return policy, full warranty, etc. At those prices (10-15% discount), you might look for an open box return at a reputable seller online.

I see lots of marketplace sellers asking nearly full retail for their used stuff. Hard pass for me.
Yea, I'm noticing the stupid prices on marketplace. Thanks for all the input!

What card is he running right now?
It's an old Nvidia gtx960. He mainly plays Fortnite online and it seems to be handling it well enough. I just don't want to get to the point where I HAVE to buy one so I'm trying to stay ahead of the game- no pun intended. 😁

I've sold my last 6-7 GPU's via Craigslist and have made a lot of people happy doing so. You might check your local listings to see what's available. As a seller I always fire up GPU-Z and a quick benchmark or a game just to show 'em that everything is working fine. Ditto with transferring any warranties. That might not be justified for a purchase under $200, but anything over that I think it's worth a quick demo.

I have a 6900 XT for sale. I think $220 sounds about right. Can his PSU/Case support it?

I sold a blower cooler 2080Ti a few months ago for just a little more than they are asking for that 6650. You can definitely get some better value if you are patient. Too many people who bought stuff during the bubble still think they are worth bubble prices.

I have a 6900 XT for sale. I think $220 sounds about right. Can his PSU/Case support it?

Hah if OP doesn’t take this as a deal I would! Threadripper could rise again and maybe then can get kids to leave my PC alone. :)

That kind of offer make a psu-case upgrade if needed quite worth it, that kid would be set for a long time for the 3 items.

That's my only worry. It's a mAtx board and case so I have to be careful on size of the gpu. Although my case is a full sized, so if I'd doesn't fit his, It'd fit just fine in mine.

That's my only worry. It's a mAtx board and case so I have to be careful on size of the gpu. Although my case is a full sized, so if I'd doesn't fit his, It'd fit just fine in mine.
Look up specs online and figure it out. Will be happy to help him out....if ...it can actually help him out.

A 6900XT for that price and he'd use a pizza box for a case for a month or two until you sort a better PSU (if needed) and case.

And you're father for the decade. Or at least the next 4-5 years.

I bought a RTX 2070 super last week for 140€. I guess u will not get more frames/€ actually.
Its not high end, but the performance is good enough to play everything. And its cheap.

Look up specs online and figure it out. Will be happy to help him out....if ...it can actually help him out.
Ok, so I was finally able to check his pc. It has a 750w psu and only has two 8-pin connectors. Size-wise, it should fit. Would I need a bigger psu?

Ok, so I was finally able to check his pc. It has a 750w psu and only has two 8-pin connectors. Size-wise, it should fit. Would I need a bigger psu?
If bad comes to bad, lower the power a little. He's playing Fortnite. I assume he's not using a high refresh rate monitor. This is like buying clothes two sizes to big for your 10 year old. He'll grow into it soon enough.

Send Kyle the money. Best bang for buck I've seen, maybe ever. He's offering a top 10 level GPU. There are literally only 10 other GPU's you can buy that outperform this one. Massive performance improvement. Is the 960 a 2GB model or 4GB? It doesn't matter cause the 6900XT is 16. You should be waiting on UPS at this point. We should be waiting for your happy kid update. We can scoff at the CPU bottlenecking it later.

Used cards are a great bargain tbh , I use the swap here or reddit and haven’t had a bad experience yet . A lot more bang for your buck .

I bought a 6700XT used for $200 about a year ago. I sold a build with it and it's been working fine ever since. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I bought a 6700XT used for $200 about a year ago. I sold a build with it and it's been working fine ever since. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That’s great for my daughters build I’m trying to get a 6700xt or 3060 ti . $200 is a steal !

I’ve bought tons of used video cards , saves tons of money and will keep doing it !

In addition to inspecting item etc, when I buy used I like to converse with the seller. When I get to know the seller a bit it helps me get a gut feeling whether the item I'm buying is good. I feel like this hasn't let me down at all.

In addition to inspecting item etc, when I buy used I like to converse with the seller. When I get to know the seller a bit it helps me get a gut feeling whether the item I'm buying is good. I feel like this hasn't let me down at all.
Yep - I feel you need to get a good vibe from the seller - I dunno how often ppl get a dud but it doesn't seem to be too often - from what I've read - but, for used gpus - the warranty is probably harder to 'get' - meaning you need the receipt and most gpu brands don't have a transferable warranty - so, a receipt is a must to even cover yourself just in case - if they registered online, there's a possible/potential problem there. Hopefully, you don't need one - but, something to keep in mind.
For myself, I've only bought 2 used gpus - a Sapphire RX 580 and RTX 3080 Tuf - both were fine. I want to keep it that way - i.e. good experiences. I'm actually looking to buy used cuz I want a high end/upper tier gpu and they're too expensive (new/retail). I understand wanting to have good value but a top tier card.

I would say buy the Intel Arc A750 made by Sparkle for $209.99 with $10 off pomo code and free shipping, Intel has been making a lot of progress on their drivers if you want something with better RT than the RX 6650 has going for it.

Back