used 7900 xtx with no warranty question

Gabe3

2[H]4U
I bought a used powercolor 7900 xtx on amazon for $736. I asked powercolor about a warranty and it has none since its used. I guess I could place an order for a new one and screenshot the invoice then cancel it so I'd have a warranty? I know its kinda wrong but its also kinda wrong to not warranty your product.

Print the invoice from Amazon and request an RMA
I just bought the card yesterday. What do you mean? the invoice says used so if I ever have to warranty the card that invoice is not going to work. I wonder if amazon tells powercolor the serial number of used cards so powercolor can void them.

Last edited:
I bought a used powercolor 7900 xtx on amazon for $736. I asked powercolor about a warranty and it has none since its used. I guess I could place an order for a new one and screenshot the invoice then cancel it so I'd have a warranty? I know its kinda wrong but its also kinda wrong to not warranty your product.
I just bought the card yesterday. What do you mean? the invoice says used so if I ever have to warranty the card that invoice is not going to work. I wonder if amazon tells powercolor the serial number of used cards so powercolor can void them.
If you want a warranty, buy new. You got a huge discount in exchange for buying used, you know the policy. Return it if you don't like it. Fraud isn't cool.

Unless you bought it from Powercolor, and there is an explicit description of a warranty, there is almost never a warranty on used items.

Unless you bought it from Powercolor, and there is an explicit description of a warranty, there is almost never a warranty on used items.
evga and msi warranty covers second hand gpus. if you don't have an invoice, msi will use the serial number which the warranty period begins when the item is shipped to the retailer if I remember right.

evga and msi warranty covers second hand gpus. if you don't have an invoice, msi will use the serial number which the warranty period begins when the item is shipped to the retailer if I remember right.
Direct from their Warranty page: The warranty only covers the ORIGINAL owner of the product and may not be transferred thru resale or other methods. (https://www.powercolor.com/rmaus). It doesn't really matter what other companies do.

Call Powercolor and ask if they would honor. Is it broken? If powercolor says no warranty, then return it. If you take care of your GPU it will likely last throughout the warranty anyways

Direct from their Warranty page: The warranty only covers the ORIGINAL owner of the product and may not be transferred thru resale or other methods. (https://www.powercolor.com/rmaus). It doesn't really matter what other companies do.
I know it doesn't matter. I'm just saying I've only had evga and msi cards so I think its crummy they don't warranty a second owner.

Reactions: pavel
like this
If you want a warranty, buy new. You got a huge discount in exchange for buying used, you know the policy. Return it if you don't like it. Fraud isn't cool.
These companies should be allowing transferable warranty, though - at least, go by the serial # and allow 3 years regardless of who owns it. Many of the companies used to allow it and slowly but surely, most companies have eliminated it.
Gamers often bash MSI and ASUS cards - especially their AMD versions but in my country - they allow transferable warranty. I sometimes see a used Sapphire card for sale - but, the fact that all the AMD AIB (not counting ASUS and MSI) brands don't allow transferable warranty - would make me reluctant. What if you think the cards are overpriced and you can get a 'deal' plus avoid tax?

I don't blame the OP for picking a used card - but, it's pretty crappy that these companies don't allow RMAs on used cards. Why not? Perhaps, they should lower their prices so ppl don't go the used card route?

I know it doesn't matter. I'm just saying I've only had evga and msi cards so I think its crummy they don't warranty a second owner.
Just before EVGA 'went out business' - at least in my country, they stopped honoring 2nd owner/second hand cards. If they still are taking RMAs, they probably won't RMA a 2nd hand card.

ASUS, too - but, it might depend on your country/region.

Yep. That's what I read. For used, it would probably just be date of manufacture. I got an open box MSI 4090 at Microcenter, too, and all it took was contacting support and they transferred it over onto the account I made on MSI's web site and used my purchase date as the start of the warranty (which was 3 years). I think that's because it was open box at MC, though, so it was just marked as "Clearance".

Sucks that Powercolor doesn't warranty secondhand at all. I would be curious as to whether they warranty open box cards, as for a while I was sort of halfway considering an open box Powercolor 7900XTX they had in the store.

Maybe you could look into Squaretrade or something? You got it for a pretty low price... but those extended warranties have really dicey reviews, so not sure if it's worth it.

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
PowerColor (and Sapphire) only offer a 2 year warranty. Some other AIBs like XFX, Asus, and MSI offer 3 year warranties.

Pick your poison. Do you want a cheaper card with no warranty? What's the likelihood it will fail within 2 years? I'd probably just keep it and gamble on it not failing. Test the card out fully while in Amazon's return period (30 days probably?)

Don't try sketchy stuff to get a valid warranty on that card. You want a warranty, buy a brand new card.

PowerColor (and Sapphire) only offer a 2 year warranty. Some other AIBs like XFX, Asus, and MSI offer 3 year warranties.

Pick your poison. Do you want a cheaper card with no warranty? What's the likelihood it will fail within 2 years? I'd probably just keep it and gamble on it not failing. Test the card out fully while in Amazon's return period (30 days probably?)

Don't try sketchy stuff to get a valid warranty on that card. You want a warranty, buy a brand new card.
Gigabyte adds a 4th year, if you register the card soon after purchase.

Are you in the US? Many states have an implied warranty by law where "a device has to be able to do what it was designed to do, even if sold used" and "generally, customers have four years to enforce an implied warranty claim. However, some states do not allow exclusions or limitations on the length of an implied warranty." FTC source

Are you in the US? Many states have an implied warranty by law where "a device has to be able to do what it was designed to do, even if sold used" and "generally, customers have four years to enforce an implied warranty claim. However, some states do not allow exclusions or limitations on the length of an implied warranty." FTC source
interesting. I am in the US. I got the card yesterday and my screen was randomly going black with certain parts staying white while playing warzone. seemed like artifacting. guess I'll be returning it. Its got alot of coil wine.

These companies should be allowing transferable warranty, though - at least, go by the serial # and allow 3 years regardless of who owns it. Many of the companies used to allow it and slowly but surely, most companies have eliminated it.
Gamers often bash MSI and ASUS cards - especially their AMD versions but in my country - they allow transferable warranty. I sometimes see a used Sapphire card for sale - but, the fact that all the AMD AIB (not counting ASUS and MSI) brands don't allow transferable warranty - would make me reluctant. What if you think the cards are overpriced and you can get a 'deal' plus avoid tax?

I don't blame the OP for picking a used card - but, it's pretty crappy that these companies don't allow RMAs on used cards. Why not? Perhaps, they should lower their prices so ppl don't go the used card route?

No. They shouldn't since the transferable warranties may RMA abuse too easy and this raises prices for everyone over time.

No. They shouldn't since the transferable warranties may RMA abuse too easy and this raises prices for everyone over time.
How would people abuse RMA? If the card doesn't have physical damage it should have a warranty. Original owner only warranties are just an excuse.

Wait till cars have original owner warranties.

How would people abuse RMA? If the card doesn't have physical damage it should have a warranty. Original owner only warranties are just an excuse.
It's a hold-over from the crypto craze days. Idiots damaging their cards and then trying to RMA them.

Wait till cars have original owner warranties.
Well, they've phasing out gas-powered ones. What will happen next before what you're saying, is that the government will confiscate your gas-powered car.

Nonsense. The companies typically go by serial number. If it got RMA'ed over and over, there might be some red flags.

It's a hold-over from the crypto craze days. Idiots damaging their cards and then trying to RMA them.
Boo hoo. These companies profited from the crypto craze days - the prices increased because of supply/demand - some ppl even argued (the conspiracy?!?) that they caused supply issues on purpose - to further inflate prices.

The companies have in their disclaimer, the right to deny RMAs - and wouldn't mining cards have a pattern of hardware abuse they could identify (after some time of receiving similar hardware problems)?

There's only a few GPU companies left that transfer warranty with the serial number. They should all do it again now that crypto mining is dead IMO, but they're all scummy and just looking to maximize profit at your loss. I think only gigabyte and MSI can be done based off of the serial / manufacture date.

Back