Upgrading motherboard from Dell XPS 8940 worth it?

johnvosh

n00b
Hello everyone, I hope you are doing well!

This weekend, I took and upgraded my main drive in my PC. I went from a standard 256GB nvme/2TB Segate 7200RPM drive combo to a 2TB WD Black SN850X drive/6TB WD 5400RPM combo. The 2TB drive is now my main drive with all my installs, data, etc. and the 6TB is my backup drive. My main games I play went from taking a small handful of minutes to load to well under a minute now, which is awesome!

Now the problem... I only get up to 900MB/s reads on this drive. The PC in question is a Dell XPS 8940 with a Core i7 11700 with upgraded heatsink/fan, upgraded to 32GB PC3200 DDR4 running at 2666, GeForce RTX 3060 12GB. Apparently Dell cheaped out and it has a H470 chipset instead of the new 500 series chipset. So even my video card is stuck on PCI-E version 3.0. Running Win 11 Pro latest version and updates

My question is; Would upgrading the motherboard to the MSI Mag B560M Mortar WiFi be worth it? I'd keep the CPU, Ram, Video Cards and drives. I've already got another case, 550 Watt PSU that I can use. I usually am watching YouTube or Video's while playing a game. I am running an Acer 24" 166hz 1080p secondary monitor and an Acer 27" 60hz 1080p main monitor. Right now I am primarily playing FS22 with lots of mods

Attachments

• CrystalDiskInfo_20240120145226.png
    CrystalDiskInfo_20240120145226.png
    53 KB · Views: 0
  • hwinfo run.jpg
    hwinfo run.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 0
  • slow speeds.jpg
    slow speeds.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 0
pcie 3 vs 4 wont make much of a difference for that gpu.
as for the drive speed, that depends on if you need the speed. for everyday use and gaming higher transfer rates wont make much of a difference.
your call.

A drive in the same computer is not really a backup at all. Sure, it lets you copy data from one drive to another incase the main drive fails, but otherwise, it is not a backup at all, any real backup should be off the computer your backing up.

You wont likely be able to update the mobo, OEM's like Dell tend to use offset mounting holes for their boards and cases and rear I/O panels are not removable, as well as special header connector plugs for the front panels and power buttons.

A drive in the same computer is not really a backup at all. Sure, it lets you copy data from one drive to another incase the main drive fails, but otherwise, it is not a backup at all, any real backup should be off the computer your backing up.

You wont likely be able to update the mobo, OEM's like Dell tend to use offset mounting holes for their boards and cases and rear I/O panels are not removable, as well as special header connector plugs for the front panels and power buttons.
i took it as "mass storage" not backup for those reasons.
he addressed that, hes got a case and psu.

Back