Upgrading from G92 8800GTS.. best upgrade?

W.O.T. Stang

Limp Gawd
I picked up a 28" monitor that has a native resolution of 1920x1200 for gaming. While the 8800GTS still hangs on, im dipping in the 20 FPS mark at times and AA is a huge slash in performance now. I'm looking to get the best possible upgrade for about $200, and hopefully continue using my 500w powersupply (34amp 12v).

So far i've found EVGA GTX 260 but i have not done any research on it yet. Would this be a noticible upgrade for this resolution? Also would it be the best performance for the money?

I'd love to get a 275, but funds just wont allow for it and a phenom II 955 and probably a better powersuppy since im 2 amps under the recommended 36amp spec.

Going to do some reading myself, but I thought I would ask here for some opinions so I get the best possible deal for the cash.

I would look for a used card somewhere on either this forum or another. Maybe try your local Craigslist and Kijiji. I just picked up my 285 for $220CDN.

Good choice/brand. Too bad the 5850's aren't more in stock at normal pricing, that would have lasted you even longer.

But enjoy!

4890 if you can't sell the old card, or maybe a 5850 if you can get 75 or 80$ for the G92.

4890 is a good choice, went from my g92 8800gts to one. Will definitely give you the extra fps for your new monitor with a little AA in the most demanding games.
Though you can find much better deals on it, picked mine up back in June for $165 shipped, seen them as low as $134 I believe. Not XFX though, while I'd prefer to have gone with them, I didn't see even the $20 price difference as being worth it, definitely not $40+ on a relatively cheap card.

d hopefully continue using my 500w powersupply (34amp 12v).

Which Rosewill PSU do you have? With Rosewill, they use a huge variety of OEMS for their PSUs so while one Rosewill PSU could be good, another with the same specs can be very horrible

Which Rosewill PSU do you have? With Rosewill, they use a huge variety of OEMS for their PSUs so while one Rosewill PSU could be good, another with the same specs can be very horrible

Here is the PSU that I have. I've been using it for almost 2 years now with no problems.

http://www.rosewill.com/products/375/productDetail.htm

As far as the card, im very excited about it. Really do wish I could find a 5850/5870, but there are so many online retailers I trust these days. The XFX card seemed very nice. It seems that had problems with that particular card when it was first realeased from the reviews I was reading. From what I understand there is no longer an issue.

Oh.. this is also my first ATI/AMD card, so im hoping they dont disappoint!

Here is the PSU that I have. I've been using it for almost 2 years now with no problems.

http://www.rosewill.com/products/375/productDetail.htm

I'd recommend replacing the PSU. It failed under proper testing here at [H]:
http://hardocp.com/article/2009/02/16/entry_level_power_supply_roundup/8

Oh and the PSU on has 31A on the +12V rail. You don't add up the +12V rails to get the total amperage. You determine the amperage on the +12V rails by first finding out what's the total combined, max load, combined or max wattage set aside for the +12V rails/section alone. Then divide that total by 12 and you get how much amps the PSU has on the +12V rail.

That's the correct way to find out how much amps a power supply has. Don't add up the amps on the +12V rail to figure out the amperage. Doesn't work that way.

I went from an 8800GT to a 4890 and I was surprised at how much of a difference it made. Plus you might be able to find someone selling one in the "for sell" forum. I got mine there for $160 shipped.

I would have tried for a GTX280 used, I have seen them for $150-175 but the 4890 is going to be a BIG upgrade too so good for you.

I have a gtx 275 and play on 1920x1200 and I can say it does it's job just fine. As long as you get something similar in performance you should be good

Maybe this will be a little help--i saw this on newegg MSI R4890 CYCLONE Radeon HD 4890 1GB -Of course you have to pay $194.99 ,but it comes with a 30$ rebate--i hate those darn rebates myself,but your total price for the card would be $164.99

I bit the bullet and got the xfx 4890. I *could* try looking for a used card, but I'd rather spend the little extra and get one new from someone I can completely trust. Looks like I got it just in time, because it's sold out as well now.

Should be a good upgrade in conjunction with the 965 Phenom II X4 on the way. Thanks again to everyone & happy gaming!

The 4890 is around similar performance to the 275, though usually the AMD card is less expensive. :)

Good choice on the XFX the double lifetime warranty really helps when tryin to resell....get some benches!!

Back