Upgrade or Wait

yergg

Weaksauce
Need some opinions.

I currently have 2 x MSI 460 GTX Hawks 1GB in SLI.

I play Civilization V, Modern Warfare 3, and Black Ops II all at 1080p and I like to turn up the goodies to the max.

Should I stick with what I got, should I look to upgrade to a current single card, or should I wait to see what's next?

I want to keep my card around $350-400; so no Titan.

Other System Specs:
Intel i7-2500K @ 4.5Ghz
ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 Mobo
16GB G. SKill DDR3 1600 CAS 8
2 x Samsung 830 SSD 128GB RAID 0
500GB Segate 7200 HDD - Files

Thanks in advance,

yergg

I will never understand why someone has to ask if they should upgrade. it is YOUR pc and YOUR experience so only YOU can decide if an upgrade id needed. and for the games you listed even a single oced gtx460 can max those.

No point in waiting if youre needing something now. Ive learned that no matter how long you wait, there will always be something newer, better and cheaper right around the corner. If youre aching for an upgrade, buy what you need now. A GTX670 or 7970 would be the best cards you can get for $400. They'll play anything at max settings at 1920x1080.

Post above me is correct EXCEPT new better and cheaper is at the end of this month.

i ended up buying a card off someone here in the FS section since i needed something now. will probably upgrade next month depending on what nvidia 700 series cards are priced at and how they affect the rest of the gpu market. OP, just wait it out and see what the markets like next month.

New cards come out once a year.... And it happens to be at the end of this month. It would be ridiculous to buy two weeks before new cards drop.

No point in waiting if youre needing something now. Ive learned that no matter how long you wait, there will always be something newer, better and cheaper right around the corner. If youre aching for an upgrade, buy what you need now. A GTX670 or 7970 would be the best cards you can get for $400. They'll play anything at max settings at 1920x1080.

^ best post ever....! agree with the GTX670 or 7970...they are still cards for a loooong time. specially at 1080p.. only wait is better if people planing to save some money and pick a actual generation when the next comes out and get a price drop..

If you do not closely follow tech news you may not be aware of shortly coming product updates, price cuts and/or promotions (such as bundles) this is why it may be prudent to ask about upgrades.

One may not know Nvidia is refreshing their product line starting later this month.

AMDs Never Settle Reloaded bundle had not completely filtered down to retail channels even after being officially announced.

Price cuts are often also rumored prior to being announced as well.

There is difference with inquiring and waiting for short term market changes as opposed to waiting entire product cycles/generations. The thought process between waiting for the 7xx series now is different then wanting to wait for Maxwell. Inquiring and waiting for Haswell is not the same as waiting for Skylake.

Last edited:
I have a 670 windforce x3 ATM. It was in sli, but I'm slowly upgrading as well. Currently I run 5670x1080 on high settings with the single card. I almost nabbed 3 680 4gbs a month ago, but then waited for more news on the 700 series. The 780(Titan LE) had my eye, but I started reading about maxwell and then Volta... By the time Volta is released, I would have to probably upgrade my whole system because hardware would cause bottle necking. Or at least OC..... So depending on price, 780 may be my next grab or save up for maxwell and complete my sys for the next 5-7 years of satisfaction.

Anyway, story aside, wait till the next "holiday" for deals hopefully on the new gpu series... (or Better sales on new and/or preowned 600 series) Memorial day ,may27,and Father's Day, june 16,will be the next big sales.

Even if it is a rehash, it's drops the prices of this generation. We are discussing waiting a week. Not 2 months. A damn week.

Well, i think you should of grabbed one of those voltage unlocked HD7950 when Sapphire had them for $269 and came with 3 free games.. the 3Gb of onboard ram is very useful and enough to ride the storm out til we see whats going to happen.

uh ? what's coming in a month ? a rehash ?
Nvidia's next gen is a rehash. But it looks like the 760 = 670, 770 = 680 and the 780 is the Titan LE, which does sound quite tasty. So you should get more performance for your money.

Also, when these are released this month. Retailers will be trying to clear the previous stock. So wait if you can!

Even if it is a rehash, it's drops the prices of this generation. We are discussing waiting a week. Not 2 months. A damn week.

I wouldn't say that. Nvidia is notorious for not dropping their prices after the new cards come out. I mean the GTX580 was well over $400 after the GTX600 cards came out. If the GTX700's come out in the next couple weeks, I will be shocked if the current 600 cards go down any.

I wouldn't say that. Nvidia is notorious for not dropping their prices after the new cards come out. I mean the GTX580 was well over $400 after the GTX600 cards came out. If the GTX700's come out in the next couple weeks, I will be shocked if the current 600 cards go down any.

Maybe not a instant drop price for the NVIDiA part... But as people said above.. Retailers would do.. Just for reason to clear their actual stock.. Remember more cheap sales are better than few expensives. So yes the price drop will happens as always..

Thanks to those who replied intelligently.

Personally, I am torn. I tend to lean towards nVidia, but it appears the next refresh of the 70 series (770) is going to be based on the current chips. I was looking more towards scaling back to one card for heat and power reasons, so I wanted to get some feedback from the best forum posters in the world to answer the question "What would you do?"

but it appears the next refresh of the 70 series (770) is going to be based on the current chips. I was looking more towards scaling back to one card for heat and power reasons, so I wanted to get some feedback from the best forum posters in the world to answer the question "What would you do?"

Well,

You have two 460 hawks. If you grab a decent 660ti/670 or even 760ti/770(if price falls in your range) your power and heat are going to be under what both hawks produce ,plus increase in performance and VRAM.

Well,

You have two 460 hawks. If you grab a decent 660ti/670 or even 760ti/770(if price falls in your range) your power and heat are going to be under what both hawks produce ,plus increase in performance and VRAM.

^ agree..

Need some opinions.

I currently have 2 x MSI 460 GTX Hawks 1GB in SLI.

I play Civilization V, Modern Warfare 3, and Black Ops II all at 1080p and I like to turn up the goodies to the max.

Should I stick with what I got, should I look to upgrade to a current single card, or should I wait to see what's next?

I want to keep my card around $350-400; so no Titan.

Other System Specs:
Intel i7-2500K @ 4.5Ghz
ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 Mobo
16GB G. SKill DDR3 1600 CAS 8
2 x Samsung 830 SSD 128GB RAID 0
500GB Segate 7200 HDD - Files

Thanks in advance,

yergg

I would probably wait until later this month and see what Nvidia announces for the 7 series but that being said, a single GTX 670 will outperform your two 460's by a decent margin and fit in your budget while drawing less power and generating less heat. I would wait on the 7 series though if for no other reason than to drive down prices on the 6 series which could save you some money compared to buying today.

Back