Upgrade from GTX 460

Rydawg5143

Supreme [H]ardness
Looking to upgrade my GTX 460. Looks like I can get 120ish for my card, so want to spend 200ish total for a new card. Mainly play rift, tf2, l4d2 etc

I have no preference on brand, I[ve had Nvidia and ATI that have been solid for many years.

Thoughts

for 200$ the only card that comes to my mind its a GTX 660 non Ti. and for a little more than 200$ a HD 7870.

resolution? have you oced the card as a stock 460 has 15-20% untapped performance. even at 1080 there is no real need to upgrade for those games that you listed especially TF2 and L4D.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just recently picked up a Sapphire HD 7850 2gb for my project rig and it was under $200 (plus there's a $15 MIR, and the Never Settle Bundle) and its running pretty smooth, would be more than enough for what it looks like you'd be throwing at it. I've only run Diablo 3 on it, and so far its a pretty decent step up from my old HD 5770 I was running previously.

resolution? have you oced the card as a stock 460 has 15-20% untapped performance. even at 1080 there is no real need to upgrade for those games that you listed especially TF2 and L4D.

This man. I run my GTX 460 at 800 MHz core without any issues, and could probably take it higher.

Should be able to play THIS YEAR's CROP of AAA games at 1920x1080 @ medium. tf2, l4d should be cake :D

my vote.... get another 460 for 120 and SLI. have more performance and put 80 bucks back in your pocket...

my vote.... get another 460 for 120 and SLI. have more performance and put 80 bucks back in your pocket...
at this point going 460 sli is a bit silly. 1 gb of vram is going to limit the settings that setup is capable of so why put up with potentially more problems from using two older cards?

I put 2 460 gtx's in my uncles rig and over clocked them to 825 and they beat out my 7970 (in 3d mark) Granted they are limited to 1g ram they still put up some nice numbers. I would just grab a second one for the time being off ebay or here for 80 bucks and be happy till the next gen stuff comes out and pick up a new card then.

I put 2 460 gtx's in my uncles rig and over clocked them to 825 and they beat out my 7970 (in 3d mark) Granted they are limited to 1g ram they still put up some nice numbers. I would just grab a second one for the time being off ebay or here for 80 bucks and be happy till the next gen stuff comes out and pick up a new card then.

That 1GB of ram is going to bite the OP in the ass if he decides to buy a newer mainstream game like say Skyrim. His best bet is top step up to a 2GB card at least for games he may play in the future, or just OC what he has now. If his card wasn't so limited SLI would have been a perfect solution for him. Really a second card would just be a $80 band aid.

Synthetics bench... are not games.. And high numbers not mean better card for games... The 1GBvram will pretty damage badle the experience of the OP on games,... Also 460's are power hungry.. So that mean higher bills to pay..

Back