Unlimited Online Photo Storage Free With Amazon Prime

I've made a complete transition to Onedrive. I find it superior to Google drive in pretty much every way.

I love Onedrive, I use it everyday. I have the Onedrive app on my android phone which backs up all of my photos and videos. It does not compress or alter them in anyway. I've never had any issues with all the various file types I save there. If you're looking for more than just a place to backup photo's, I suggest to check it out. Only fault is the storage space vs cost.

I'll have to look into Amazon's online photo storage. At least give it a try to see how useful it is. Could be used as a secondary backup I guess.

I use OneDrive because it's basically built into Windows. I do wish it could sync as fast as Dropbox, though.

Maybe you should get the hell off the internet and stop being a lazy fuck and mail your [H] forum posts to Kyle or Steve so they can transcribe your nonsensical rants about the stupidity of new technology onto their technology forum.

Im not lazy, im... wait for it.... Eccentric! It costs me more money to sit here and type this out then it does to buy a pencil, paper, envelope, and a damned stamp. Which was the point to begin with. Take your damned drive with you and regardless of court orders sent to MS, your data still has the ability to be destroyed and not used against you if you are quick enough to destroy it during an arrest, or you just dont want others to gain access to it.

Is it more convenient to get stuff for multiple devices? Absolutely. Is it secure when literally tens of thousands of people have access to the same cloud servers as you? No. Will you be angry when one of your photos in your collection is now used by someone else and you become the poster child for ClevelandSteamers.com? Maybe. lol

A local backup drive isn't at all the same thing as cloud storage.

It isn't a honeypot to online attacks, or

it still works when the internet is down?

Most of the convenience would be captured hooking the drive to a local network. You end up with it online but it isn't exactly a worldwide known honeypot.

My PC should have had options to be a local could and other functionality'/server for my mobile devices at home five years ago. If Microsoft had done this, they may not be panicking to offer the next 'shiny' which in this case is the cloud.

It isn't a honeypot to online attacks, or

it still works when the internet is down?

Most of the convenience would be captured hooking the drive to a local network. You end up with it online but it isn't exactly a worldwide known honeypot.

My PC should have had options to be a local could and other functionality'/server for my mobile devices at home five years ago. If Microsoft had done this, they may not be panicking to offer the next 'shiny' which in this case is the cloud.[/QUOTE]

The thing you're ignoring is cost. The economics of cloud storage are becoming compelling. What is the cost of setting and maintaining infrastructure for unlimited failsafe storage? And Windows PCs have been honeypots for attacks for years. Tons of local data has been compromised over the years and continues to be.

I'm not saying that cloud storage is perfect but this isn't a zero sum game where all of sudden cloud storage goes away and then everyone has to go out and buy storage and somehow get that all into integrate with all of their various devices and apps.

As for Microsoft panicking in this area, that's an odd statement. Their cloud business is booming and the moves they've made in the last week and a half with unlimited cloud storage for all Office 365 subscribers, better integration of Office clients with Dropbox and now offering Office for mobile devices for free and adding Dropbox support are being universally applauded. Of course these moves were in response to competition. And while these moves certainly take revenue off table for Microsoft, they make Office much more difficult to compete against.

As for Microsoft panicking in this area, that's an odd statement. Their cloud business is booming and the moves they've made in the last week and a half with unlimited cloud storage for all Office 365 subscribers, better integration of Office clients with Dropbox and now offering Office for mobile devices for free and adding Dropbox support are being universally applauded. Of course these moves were in response to competition. And while these moves certainly take revenue off table for Microsoft, they make Office much more difficult to compete against.
Their core identity was making and OS for PC's. Two years ago they tried to become a Mobile Devices Company like Apple, now they are becoming a 'cloud' service company like Google. They don't know what they are and are running after the latest shiny.

Their core identity was making and OS for PC's. Two years ago they tried to become a Mobile Devices Company like Apple, now they are becoming a 'cloud' service company like Google. They don't know what they are and are running after the latest shiny.

Microsoft has been working on cloud stuff for a decade now at least. It's not a new thing to them and neither is mobile, Microsoft has had a phone OS out for over a decade now as well. They are having a lot of success with their cloud business so why not? It's been long expected that Microsoft's core identify as you put it, of selling OSes for desktop PCs, wasn't going to be a growing or long term sustainable business and that they HAD to do new things.

Back