Um.. is this real? The BenQ XL2420?

I am really curious about this display. I only wonder about the pixel size since I currently have 21.5" 1080p screen. It would probably be just fine, though. It matches my needs pretty nicely. It is not cheap but in this case it might mean that you get what you are paying for.

I'd like to roll the dice and upgrade to this but BenQ won't take the XL2410T i just bought for an upgrade. If anyone's interested in getting the XL2410T for cheap.... PM me. I'm in Massachusetts.

My (hope enough comprehensive) review:

http://extrahardware.cnews.cz/benq-xl2420t-120hz-rychlik-pro-narocne-hrace-recenze

Google Translate CZ -> EN (interactive graphs are working only in original linked above):
http://translate.google.com/transla...2420t-120hz-rychlik-pro-narocne-hrace-recenze

In short: very good (pro)gaming monitor, bad universal monitor. Check review for more details and measurements.

+ very fast response (about 5 ms rise + fall in almost all cases)
+ low or almost no input lag especially in 120Hz
+ gamma for details in shadows
+ great and practical design
+ programmable modes and buttons
- no chance to set something like normal gamma (unnatural image for photos and movies)
- bad predefined modes like Photo
- low contrast in the modes with reachable 70 cd/m2 (in the modes with 1000:1 you can set only 130+ cd/m2)
- catastrophically narrow viewing angles
- bad backlight uniformity
…

Last edited:
My (hope enough comprehensive) review:

http://extrahardware.cnews.cz/benq-xl2420t-120hz-rychlik-pro-narocne-hrace-recenze

Google Translate CZ -> EN (interactive graphs are working only in original linked above):
http://translate.google.com/transla...2420t-120hz-rychlik-pro-narocne-hrace-recenze

In short: very good (pro)gaming monitor, bad universal monitor. Check review for more details and measurements.

+ very fast response (about 5 ms rise + fall in almost all cases)
+ low or almost no input lag especially in 120Hz
+ gamma for details in shadows
+ great and practical design
+ programmable modes and buttons
- no chance to set something like normal gamma (unnatural image for photos and movies)
- bad predefined modes like Photo
- low contrast in the modes with reachable 70 cd/m2 (in the modes with 1000:1 you can set only 130+ cd/m2)
- catastrophically narrow viewing angles
- bad backlight uniformity
…
That's quite a different conclusion than what others have reported.

Not yet, NCIX is stocking them though.

I bought one of these from Canada Computers today. They say the have 10+ in stock at the warehouse and are charging $386 instead of $419 like everywhere else (NCIX/Newegg). I had it shipped to the local store near me instead of my house. If I don't end up being lazy I'll clone display with my XL2410T and post some pics...

I bought one of these from Canada Computers today. They say the have 10+ in stock at the warehouse and are charging $386 instead of $419 like everywhere else (NCIX/Newegg). I had it shipped to the local store near me instead of my house. If I don't end up being lazy I'll clone display with my XL2410T and post some pics...
Here's to non lazyness!

I disliked the anti-glare coating and returned mine. Fuzzy picture, and the colors just look sad with banding, which in my oppinion is more noticable on matte displays, than on reflective ones (which are annoying in other regards).
My conclusion was that I had to find a PLS/IPS monitor, with medium anti-glare. Samsungs A850-series have a nice anti-glare coating. I'm contemplating buying one of those. :)

Why did you buy a XL2420T if gaming related performance wasn't your focus? No one is buying a TN panel for PQ.

I've started to think that there will never be good enough compromise monitor...

Was that directed at me larkin? I do play games, and gaming performance is important to me. My current monitor (reflective TN-based) does not show such excessive banding, hence me conclusion about anti-glare coating.
I'm looking forward to the day that proper gaming performance is compatible with PQ. A monitor that did not have a ridiculous price (sub $ 1000), but rocked a 120Hz refresh-rate, low delay times, true 8bit colours and a light matte coating, would be an instant best-seller I think.

Yeah, that was at you. I'm surprised the coating has an effect on color banding. That seems more like a processing thing. While I think you probably shouldn't have gone for this monitor if response time wasn't the end all be all for you I do agree that it would be nice if these gaming TN panels upped their PQ game. I have a XL2410T and a Sammy 244t and find it annoying that I have to move windows on to the sammy for PQ and game on the benq. One monitor would be nice. Maybe when IPS goes 120hz?

I've read on other forums that the colour mode, especially the black "enhancer" out of the box is messed up and that might have been the reason for the banding. They seem to default to their FPS mode which brightens all the blacks so you can see people hiding in the shadows and such.

Really they should just use a default that has a more normal PQ and let you engage the FPS mode... anyway, still waiting on mine to arrive, hopefully today or tomorrow so I can play with it over the weekend.

i was excited about this monitor but since i like to watch movies as well as play games and the black equaliser will probably mess up all the blacks itlooks like im going to save for a bit and buy the asus VG278H

i was excited about this monitor but since i like to watch movies as well as play games and the black equaliser will probably mess up all the blacks itlooks like im going to save for a bit and buy the asus VG278H

The black equalizer can and should be disabled..

how are the colours on the monitors? i want to watch movies as well as play games but i watch movies more so colours and depth of blacks are important how is it once blackness equaliser is disabled?

this monitor looks better than the asus it just worries me that archaic games like counter strike are being used to advertise it how about games like skyrim and battlefield 3 ? do they look good on it?

@ crazy chuckster
the tx has a built in ir emitter while the normal hasnt. Benq told me that the tx wont be available in the uk :(

FYI the TX is the only one that can do 3D over HDMI (PS3, non-PC blurays, etc) because you need a built-in emitter to do that. Take note, I think this was poorly reported!

It's a TN...what to compare? Anything is destroyed by viewing agles....
Who would've thought in say 1998 that by 2012 monitors would suck so badly, right?...

True, but I'm using a Samsung S23A950D right now and provided I'm looking dead on, viewing angles are not an issue. Problem is when playing games like Batman or Dirt 3 while sitting in my recliner which is MUCH lower...then 1/2 the screen disappears, lol!

Sadly TN is one of the reasons i learned to correct my posture LOL, win / win though.

This is the most eye stressing display over ever laid eyes on. If you're sensitive to flicker on led panels, stay far away.

i tested the benq xl2420t today and can't recommend it

colors are either over- or under-saturated
brightness 0 is still too bright
blacks are brighter than on my glowing ips
visible overdrive artifacts even with "ama off"
osd leaves much to be desired

definitely not worth 370€
my old vx2268wm was better in every way (expect for ccfl hum)

i tested the benq xl2420t today and can't recommend it

colors are either over- or under-saturated
brightness 0 is still too bright
blacks are brighter than on my glowing ips
visible overdrive artifacts even with "ama off"
osd leaves much to be desired

definitely not worth 370€
my old vx2268wm was better in every way (expect for ccfl hum)

Pretty much identical experience to three other people I know who own either the vx2268wm or 2233rz. The excessive overdrive is their biggest complaint.

Don't notice any in my TX to be honest :confused:

Bought it for the speed and features, not colors. I have a plasma for that.

EDIT: The 2410 was noticeable. Can't find it on this one.

Last edited:
Back