Uber Driver Suspected In Michigan Shootings

HardOCP News

[H] News
This has to be a PR nightmare Uber. Although there was no way to know this was going to happen, I hope the company steps up to help the families of the victims. :(

An Uber UBER.UL representative confirmed Dalton was a company driver and had passed background checks. The attack renewed interest in how Uber screens drivers, who use their personal vehicles to ferry customers at prices generally below those of established taxi companies. Critics say the process is flawed because the company never meets potential drivers in person.

This is not unusual. Public carriage is serious business. But what does Uber care? They simply tell local authorities to go pi** up a rope and no one stands up to them. I hope the company goes out of business.

Authorities could not confirm if Dalton was working for Uber during the shooting spree on Saturday evening.
This is the ultra dick move though, because he's an "Uber employee" to get headlines, not that he was a insurance salesman who killed 6 people.

I don't see how Uber has anything to do with this. Guy went nuts and randomly kills some people, and oh by the way he drove for Uber sometimes. It's not like he took on passengers and then killed them.

I don't see how Uber has anything to do with this. Guy went nuts and randomly kills some people, and oh by the way he drove for Uber sometimes. It's not like he took on passengers and then killed them.
I agree, but apparently this guy was driving around passengers in between shootings. He started out with scaring a passenger so badly on a ride that she jumped out of the car. This was about two hours prior to the events of the actual killings, and she did call the police, but unfortunately they didn't stop him in time. I think Uber really dodged a bullet here, because this guy didn't go all the way. The thinking is that he might've tried to use the rides during the rampage as an alibi, but if he had really gone all out, he could've been eating up actual Uber passengers for hours instead of shooting randoms.

How weird would that situation be riding as that guy's passenger?

'Hey guys, you need to go where again? Okay downtown no problem. Hey I need to make a stop real quick and shoot a few ppl. Oh no no no, I'm not going to shoot you guys, you are paying my bills don't worry'.

On a more serious note, I would be curious to know if they drug tested him and what they found in his system and if he is taking any kind of presecrption meds like Prozac or something.

This sounds like more of an endorsement than anything.

"Uber is so safe, not even our psycopathic drivers, mid-killing spree, will harm you."

This has to be a PR nightmare Uber. Although there was no way to know this was going to happen, I hope the company steps up to help the families of the victims. :(

An Uber UBER.UL representative confirmed Dalton was a company driver and had passed background checks. The attack renewed interest in how Uber screens drivers, who use their personal vehicles to ferry customers at prices generally below those of established taxi companies. Critics say the process is flawed because the company never meets potential drivers in person.

See Steve, this is how you forget about a pesky Uber lawsuit....because something crazy like this happens! lol

"I kind of jokingly said to the driver, 'You're not the shooter, are you?' He gave me some sort of a 'no' response. ... I said, 'Are you sure?' And he said, 'No, I'm not. I'm just tired,' " Derek told WOOD. "And we proceeded to have a pretty normal conversation after that."

Very sad, but kind of hilarious given I just had a recent scare with an Uber driver.

This is the ultra dick move though, because he's an "Uber employee" to get headlines, not that he was a insurance salesman who killed 6 people.

Or it could be related to the investigation believing that he was shooting people in between Uber runs. Just saying...

I don't think Uber actually does backgrounds. I have a friend who has a DUI on his record, he applied with Lyft and was promptly denied. He applied to Uber and was given the green light - he drives for them daily.

If employees of any company commit crimes during their working hours, the company will be sued. I don't know if Uber can get out of this because the drivers are contractors.

If employees of any company commit crimes during their working hours, the company will be sued. I don't know if Uber can get out of this because the drivers are contractors.
not likely as they are ultimately responsible for their employees being properly vetted..

Agree completely, and I can't stand the way lyft/uber are trying to get around laws by calling it "ride sharing". This is a problem in our society, say anything to get headlines... sad thing is I will have to hear about how Uber hires murders from in-laws.

Oh again a loaded news piece aimed against uber.

It's really getting tiresome. Like the guy's occupation or employer has anything to do with the shootings.

Yes uber is wrong for acting as a drive sharing app, when it's clearly doing a taxi service. Thankfully in my country they passed some new laws, that say they have to be kept to the same standards as regular taxi drivers, meaning they must have the same qualifications, their vehicles must meet the same standards, and they must pay the same taxes.

He also probably used public roads, ate at Taco Bell, filled up gas at Chevron ... has nothing to do with Uber.

Why the hell do people fear the spoopy YOUBERR when Taxi drivers have been raping, kidnapping, and killing fools regularly for a century or more. I mean, seriously, check the history of crime that happens INSIDE OF licensed, name-brand taxi service vehicles. Just because Uber no longer has to deal with the archaic and monopolistic licensing BS that taxi services have thrust uppon themselves, suddenly they are SO MUCH WORSE when the same exact shit happens in their unlicensed vehicles.

This isn't even an Uber-related story. This is a guy who killed some fools, but also may have driven an uber for a couple extra bucks.

because they did nothing/ very little about it when people complained?

Uber acknowledges getting complaints about shooting suspect

Well, My question is this: Is he convicted or a suspect? If he is just a suspect, how would YOU feel if your job was terminated because someone accused you of a crime? What if someone beneath you wanted you gone, so they cooked up a dodgy story about you being linked to a serial killer investigation. An anonymous phone call is all it takes. Completely and obviously BS, but hey: Now you're a suspect. Guess what? Some pissant complains to management that you are a suspect, now bye bye, no more job.

Thats not how the system works, because shit like that would be a daily event. 'Suspect' and 'Criminal' are not the same thing, EVEN if it means certain scumbags can slip through the cracks.

Well, My question is this: Is he convicted or a suspect? If he is just a suspect, how would YOU feel if your job was terminated because someone accused you of a crime? What if someone beneath you wanted you gone, so they cooked up a dodgy story about you being linked to a serial killer investigation. An anonymous phone call is all it takes. Completely and obviously BS, but hey: Now you're a suspect. Guess what? Some pissant complains to management that you are a suspect, now bye bye, no more job.

Thats not how the system works, because shit like that would be a daily event. 'Suspect' and 'Criminal' are not the same thing, EVEN if it means certain scumbags can slip through the cracks.

I don't do stupid things and yes my employer could terminate me if I were arrested for a few different reasons

1. missing work
2. bad image for company
3. Inability to do job based upon what the charges are...

How would you feel if the guy who came to fix your furnace stole from you and the company had previous complaints. My guess you would be peeved and rightfully so.

I don't do stupid things and yes my employer could terminate me if I were arrested for a few different reasons

1. missing work
2. bad image for company
3. Inability to do job based upon what the charges are...

How would you feel if the guy who came to fix your furnace stole from you and the company had previous complaints. My guess you would be peeved and rightfully so.

As I said "Suspect" and "Convict". Two different things.

Fill in the blanks:

_____ until proven ______

This is ridiculous how they keep referring to the killer as an Uber driver, what does that have to do with anything? How many killers have we seen in the past years, but they rarely tell us the name of the company they work for. I live in Michigan, and people are pissed, because the name of the company is getting more news than the actual victims and poor families. Not to mention, the unions are having a hay day bashing Uber on the Radio. The Victims should be the focus, and how to prevent this in the future. I am not an Uber driver and i have never used Uber, but the victims should be the focus.
http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...hooting-victims-what-we-know-so-far/80724874/
Do not blame Uber, do not blame the weapon used, blame the shooter, Jason Dalton.

This is ridiculous how they keep referring to the killer as an Uber driver, what does that have to do with anything? How many killers have we seen in the past years, but they rarely tell us the name of the company they work for. I live in Michigan, and people are pissed, because the name of the company is getting more news than the actual victims and poor families. Not to mention, the unions are having a hay day bashing Uber on the Radio. The Victims should be the focus, and how to prevent this in the future. I am not an Uber driver and i have never used Uber, but the victims should be the focus.
http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...hooting-victims-what-we-know-so-far/80724874/
Do not blame Uber, do not blame the weapon used, blame the shooter, Jason Dalton.

I think part of the reason they bring it up is that during that time he was still being given fares and could have killed others and started off the night almost killing somebody else he was giving a ride to before they jumped out of the car and hulled ass away to call people about him snapping. Mix that with the fact that this is a semi warning to people to be careful when getting in the vehicle of a stranger and watch for them to be acting weird. I do agree that they should tone that down some and talk about the victims, however that won't get the headlines. Honestly the only reason we are talking about it here is that it involved uber, otherwise its man shoots 6 people, that is nothing new for some areas.

As I said "Suspect" and "Convict". Two different things.

Fill in the blanks:

_____ until proven ______

I doubt your company would care that you were innocent if you are missing work because you have been arrested and detained

great way to dodge the question btw

This is ridiculous how they keep referring to the killer as an Uber driver, what does that have to do with anything? How many killers have we seen in the past years, but they rarely tell us the name of the company they work for.

They do in all of the cases of workplace violence I've ever seen reported. Which is what this is. This guy goes around shooting people from his Uber car, picking up Uber fares in between shootings, scares one Uber fare so badly with his driving that they jumped out of the car, and we're supposed to scrub all references to Uber from reporting of the incident? Does that make sense to you?

This guy goes around shooting people from his Uber car, picking up Uber fares in between shootings, scares one Uber fare so badly with his driving that they jumped out of the car, and we're supposed to scrub all references to Uber from reporting of the incident? Does that make sense to you?

It's not so much as scrubbing Uber, but the Yahoo article I just saw, every single paragraph had Uber in it. You'd think somehow Uber had a hand in the murders. The real problem is the cold-blooded murderer, but Uber is in the lime light for some odd reason. You'd almost think that it's the only fact in the case so far. (Disclosure: no position on Uber.) I don't even know the dude's name, but I know he worked for Uber.

I like how uber driver shoots someone it Is all over the news, but a few months back an uber driver (with a concealed carry permit) in crime zone chicago STOPPED a shooting and the news was practically buried.

Good job the media isnt selling BS /s

Back