Trying to recover data

darknite

Gawd
So i lost a drive last week full of all my Anime. Basically came up said failed SMART and i can't read anything off of it. Backup for that drive was a WD 2TB My Book that i can't seem to find the power cord for.
So I took the drive out and plugged it in directly to the computer. (It's a WD Green)
Doesn't show up unless i go into disk management and it wants me to format it. Shows up as unallocated.
I've tried a few programs, Hiren's Boot CD for one, to try and recover something/ anything off of my backup drive and the best i can get is a bunch of RAW files that are incorrect. Shows up as .mkv but the files are huge. 1-4GB compared to what should be about 250mb to 1GB. Nothing wants to see the files on the drive.
I guess my question is, what can i use to get my files off of the backup drive correctly? I think WD puts something on there to keep me from doing this. I'm going to keep searching for the power cord, but need something to try out in the mean time.

probably special format recognized by the mybook controller

what power adapter do you need for that? might be the easiest way

12V 1.5A center positive 2.1mm

try ebay for a power adapter. That would be your best chance for a new one.

Also try piriforms recuva to see if you can salvage anything off the crashed drive.

Do some research but IIRC:
you can do a "quick format" where it redoes the file directory
then you can mount the drive
which allows you to see it for Recuva
then you can do a setting in Recuva that allows it to scan for deleted files on a reformatted disk
this might allow you to regain some of your files
BUT DOUBLE CHECK. I just recall seeing that feature and extrapolating that from one of the options. Hit some forums that specialize with that program unless someone on here is well versed it in.

But of the humanity your hentai collection has been lost :/ I feel your pain J/K :rolleyes:

Look at the description of the features on your WD My Book and see if it mentions encryption. One of the reasons I've always avoided buying WD's external drives is that the bridge board (in the case) does encryption of the drive's contents. The bridge board dies?... You lose all of your data.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-self-encrypting-drive-you-may-already-own/

what type of encrtption is it? You might be able to brute force it with a modern GPU or two if you take your time.

Or you could just call NSA for the encryption key -_-

Ok i figured WD did something with that encryption. How irritating. I've only seen it on the big ones. I love recuva, that was the first thing i tried. Ill look into doing the quick format.
I have about 24 power cords and none of em work.

Ok i figured WD did something with that encryption. How irritating. I've only seen it on the big ones. I love recuva, that was the first thing i tried. Ill look into doing the quick format.
I have about 24 power cords and none of em work.

there are stores dude...you know...where you buy things?

definitely try ebay first on getting a new PSU first. Then research the quick format...DO NOT TAKE MY WORD for it. double check it.

Back