Troubleshooting And Repairing Windows 10 Problems

This won't answer your question, but my nephew who was unimpressed by 8 and moved to Apple, played with 10 on his friends computer and instantly wanted to switch to 10. Sure he's young and what he uses it for will differ dramatically from you or I, but his comments caught me off guard.

I start building a 10 rig next week, and I suspect I'll like it better than 8. Once I've done that, I may move this rig back to 7 so I can do more direct comparisons.

I did briefly help a friend with a 10 machine last weekend, and I thought it was strange that you couldn't search for Control Panel tools from the start menu. I know you can do that in 7 and 8. Maybe heatlesssun has some comments on that, but it sure seems like a bug to me (and an annoying one at that).

It has to be a bug then because, so far, I have been able to do a search for the control panel tools successfully every time. However, on a new install, the search needs to be built which takes a little bit of time because otherwise, that is the one time I could not search for the control panel tools.

I've heard others complain about this problem. From my experience searching for Control Panel options from Cortana (Cortana is the system search utility, even when her data sharing and other functionality are turned off) works but doesn't seem to find every option even when the search criteria matches the name on the Control Panel item. But other terms will find the item. Kind of odd.

We were trying to create a restore disk and it drove me nuts, because it wasn't there. At some point I said, let's look in Control Panel and it came up.

I tried Cortana's voice command, but assuming you can type with all of your fingers, I'm not sure it really makes sense on a desktop. I assume they'll get this stuff fixed eventually. We'll see what I think after I build the new system. I may reinstall 7 on this one just to compare the two to see if I like it better than 8/10. I don't feel like I miss 7 (maybe the start menu for pinned items), but I'd miss the Netflix app if I only ran 7.

It has to be a bug then because, so far, I have been able to do a search for the control panel tools successfully every time. However, on a new install, the search needs to be built which takes a little bit of time because otherwise, that is the one time I could not search for the control panel tools.

It was strange...but honestly, I still think it's crazy for it not to have Control Panel tools in the default install. I hope you're right though, because my system runs most of the time, so it should have the DB built within a day, I assume.

We were trying to create a restore disk and it drove me nuts, because it wasn't there. At some point I said, let's look in Control Panel and it came up.

I tried Cortana's voice command, but assuming you can type with all of your fingers, I'm not sure it really makes sense on a desktop. I assume they'll get this stuff fixed eventually. We'll see what I think after I build the new system. I may reinstall 7 on this one just to compare the two to see if I like it better than 8/10. I don't feel like I miss 7 (maybe the start menu for pinned items), but I'd miss the Netflix app if I only ran 7.

Just searching for "create restore disk" on a couple of machines and that did find "Create a recovery drive" on both. With voice using Cortana, you have to say "open" or "start" first to get her to open programs and apps. You can say "open uninstall programs" and she will open up "Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features" but I couldn't come up with a phrase for her to open "Create a recovery drive", she always just ended up doing a web search.

One issue with Explorer that I'm constantly encountering is the QUICKACCESS list and THIS PC on the left side of the Explorer screen starts to go haywire, listing the same item multiple times. This is after thousands and gigabytes of data transferring, as well as multiple deletions of tens of thousands of files, but I do it every day. Sometimes Explorer just hangs and quits, and I'm not sure what has been deleted and what hasn't.

The other thing is the Search Windows bar.....This seems UBER slow compared to Windows 7/8.1 searches.

Just searching for "create restore disk" on a couple of machines and that did find "Create a recovery drive" on both. With voice using Cortana, you have to say "open" or "start" first to get her to open programs and apps. You can say "open uninstall programs" and she will open up "Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features" but I couldn't come up with a phrase for her to open "Create a recovery drive", she always just ended up doing a web search.

I was just typing...no voice. I think I typed recovery and/or restore and it didn't work.
After I found it, I tried searching for it still got nothing. Sounds like whoever said MS has to build a DB may be right. I'll have more to say once I'm actually using the OS. If it fixes itself, I can live with it, but I still think this should be there when you install it. After all, you probably should build a restore/recovery disk early on.

Full disclosure, it's a laptop, so it could be something that Toshiba (or whoever MFG it) screwed up.

Back