Titanfall: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum

Laughing at the idea that more people = better. Really looking forward to this game.

Some people like massive battles, I being one of them. If anything couldn't they just have different modes that accommodate both sides? A mode for 32v32 massive battles and a mode for 6v6 competitive play. But then again in this age of games no developer cares to cater to consumers anymore,just investors. Also weren't they gloating at E3 at how the game will be run in the cloud to offload some of the computation? Looks like its just another sim city thing and only there for DRM being as the game is online only.

This is shame and its validated my decision to not pre-order or buy until reviews are out. I know this game is not like BF4 but when I play on servers with <20 people it feels very lonely, let alone 12. Maps would have to be tiny to compensate for this.

To those saying its a console limitation, I don't think that's the case this generation. I'm leaning towards a graphics engine limitation.

They have to dumb it down to run on the Xbox One or does this apply to the PC version too?

I have absolutely no issue with this. Small sided matches are generally more strategic than the cluster fucks that are COD and BF where its impossible to even try to be too strategic.

The best online competition is in small sided games, I.E Original GW GvG system (dont get me started on the bullshit that is WvW in GW2), Dota 2, hell even 4v4 in halo was very strategic, and GOW.

Some people like massive battles, I being one of them. If anything couldn't they just have different modes that accommodate both sides? A mode for 32v32 massive battles and a mode for 6v6 competitive play. But then again in this age of games no developer cares to cater to consumers anymore,just investors. Also weren't they gloating at E3 at how the game will be run in the cloud to offload some of the computation? Looks like its just another sim city thing and only there for DRM being as the game is online only.

Because launch window games arent using it means it isnt possible? give me break

Because launch window games arent using it means it isnt possible? give me break
Still doesnt answer my first question. Why not have two gamemodes? And yes,the cloud computation thing is just a gimmick. "we have billions of transistors in the cloud" Give me a break.

I have absolutely no issue with this. Small sided matches are generally more strategic than the cluster fucks that are COD and BF where its impossible to even try to be too strategic.
That's only true if you are playing with random people. Playing with an organized squad (or two) in Battlefield 4 is a completely different experience. Personally, I never play solo.

I'm glad I didn't pre-order. I will reserve judgement until the game comes out but this game looks and sounds last-gen. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Still doesnt answer my first question. Why not have two gamemodes? And yes,the cloud computation thing is just a gimmick. "we have billions of transistors in the cloud" Give me a break.

How exactly is it a gimmick when sony is doing the exact same thing with their recently announced streaming service. Just because it hasnt been fully implemented yet doesnt mean it isnt possible

How exactly is it a gimmick when sony is doing the exact same thing with their recently announced streaming service. Just because it hasnt been fully implemented yet doesnt mean it isnt possible

I am talking about cloud computation just like EA did with sim city. A bunch of BS

I am talking about cloud computation just like EA did with sim city. A bunch of BS

You can have computing in the 'cloud' which is effective, it's just a matter of spending enough money for good hardware and bandwidth as well as choosing the right things to have the servers do.

MMO's are pretty good at cloud computing if you ask me.

Path of Exile does a lot of this as well, but is unfortunately less successful at it.

Until I can storm the beaches of Normandy with 150,000 fellow teammates, I don't want to hear about how awesome 6v6 is.

Played plenty of BC2 & BF3 games (Conquest/hide & go shoot-someone-in the back) with 64 people and only come across 5 people in 15 minutes because everyone was waiting to whore a vehicle or camping. Had far more intense games playing COD2 (8 players) back in the day on the 360 and 10 player games like Gears of War & Uncharted 3.

Having large amounts of players is 100% pointless if the maps are massive (Battlefield) and when players can spawn behind the last person who killed them and shoot them in the back (Battlefield, COD, Halo).

Played plenty of BC2 & BF3 games (Conquest/hide & go shoot-someone-in the back) with 64 people and only come across 5 people in 15 minutes because everyone was waiting to whore a vehicle or camping. Had far more intense games playing COD2 (8 players) back in the day on the 360 and 10 player games like Gears of War & Uncharted 3.

Having large amounts of players is 100% pointless if the maps are massive (Battlefield) and when players can spawn behind the last person who killed them and shoot them in the back (Battlefield, COD, Halo).

That's fine, but the problem is they didn't give us the option of a higher player count on PC if we wanted to join more populated matches. They capped it because of consoles and called it a day. This will be a port with zero investment on the PC side of things.

This is following in the old steps of MW2. Respawn is Infinity Ward all over again.

It's pointless to you. That does not mean it's pointless to everyone. There are guys with mods that make all the dragons in Skyrim looks like Thomas the Train characters. You may not like it, but someone else obviously does. The whole point of PC gaming is options and flexibility. Capping a game at 6v6 is simply a console limitation. PC needs to be given more options. 8v8, 12v12, heck, whatever number you want to put in there. The players will decided for themselves what they like and what works. If anything more than 6v6 sucks - guess what, no harm no foul people will play 6v6.

THAT is the point of PC gaming. You can play however the fuck you want to play, it's your preference.

So, end of the day -- Titanfall is a SOURCE ( one of the most moddable engines on the planet ) engine game that will be locked down on day 1 to 6v6 only, approved servers only with no mod support - on PC. If that does not scream console neutered to you, I don't know what does. It literally takes more work to keep a source game from being modded than just letting people do what they want.

It's pointless to you. That does not mean it's pointless to everyone. There are guys with mods that make all the dragons in Skyrim looks like Thomas the Train characters. You may not like it, but someone else obviously does. The whole point of PC gaming is options and flexibility. Capping a game at 6v6 is simply a console limitation. PC needs to be given more options. 8v8, 12v12, heck, whatever number you want to put in there. The players will decided for themselves what they like and what works. If anything more than 6v6 sucks - guess what, no harm no foul people will play 6v6.

THAT is the point of PC gaming. You can play however the fuck you want to play, it's your preference.

So, end of the day -- Titanfall is a SOURCE ( one of the most moddable engines on the planet ) engine game that will be locked down on day 1 to 6v6 only, approved servers only with no mod support - on PC. If that does not scream console neutered to you, I don't know what does. It literally takes more work to keep a source game from being modded than just letting people do what they want.

Didn't realize it was a source game. This news is even more laughable.

I never got the hype for this game.
The engine is old.
It looked like a shitty shooter.
It looked like a shitty mech.
Parkour games are usually shit.

All the above things made me expect this would be a shit game, and 6 V 6 confirms it.
All the videos I had seen, they all looked stupid.

From PCGamer.com:

The response was significant enough that Titanfall producer Drew "DKo5" McCoy responded to the complaints on NeoGAF.

"Lots of armchair game designing going on in here. I'd suggest playing before judging a something as insignificant as a number in a vacuum.

"Vince is right - we tried a huge amount of playercounts (all the way down to 1v1 and up quite high) and designed the maps, gameplay mechanics, and entire experience around which played best. If anyone wants to chase the numbers game, perhaps we're not the experience they're after? I dunno.

"And FYI, for amount of stuff happening at once in a map you'll be hard pressed to find a game that keeps the action higher. I literally have to stop playing every few rounds because my heart just can't take it some times. Remember, you can get out of your Titan and let it roam on AI mode - meaning there can be 12 Pilots wallrunning around, 12 Titans stomping below, and dozens of AI doing their thing.

"Oh, and I keep seeing people thinking we've got "bots" when we talk about AI. Thats not how they are. The AI in Titanfall are not replacements for human players. Our playercount is not 6v6 because of AI - AI play their own role in the game and are a different class of character in the game.

"Can't wait! Only a couple months until speculative threads like this are gone and people are actually talking about their experiences with the game. Its truly fun stuff, and I hope everyone at least gives it a try."

Remember before you preorder anything guys. SimCity was made to sound pretty great before it came out, as was Diablo III. I'm waiting on mod support and some reviews for this one.

It's pointless to you.

Missed my point. Devs can allow high player caps but if the maps and game types are not specifically designed to accommodate X amount of players, the game types offered and game play speed, it won't work. Obviously this is subjective.

IMO, games like Halo, COD and Battlefield (non-Rush modes) are obviously designed to allow for revenge spawn & and spawn killing to accommodate new and unskilled players.

Rush fixes most of BF's issues with the fixed spawns and forced directional combat aside from the spawn/revenge spawn killing. I prefer fixed spawn points since they typically are accompanied with better map design which does not allow rampant spawn and revenge-spawn killing as well as higher player caps.

Missed my point. Devs can allow high player caps but if the maps and game types are not specifically designed to accommodate X amount of players, the game types offered and game play speed, it won't work. Obviously this is subjective.

IMO, games like Halo, COD and Battlefield (non-Rush modes) are obviously designed to allow for revenge spawn & and spawn killing to accommodate new and unskilled players.

Rush fixes most of BF's issues with the fixed spawns and forced directional combat aside from the spawn/revenge spawn killing. I prefer fixed spawn points since they typically are accompanied with better map design which does not allow rampant spawn and revenge-spawn killing as well as higher player caps.

What do you mean it won't work? I have played plenty of MP games where there were playercounts that made the games somewhat of a clusterfuck at times. That was the fun part. If you want a different experience, go to a smaller server.

Can you imagine this game in the hands of some of the good source engine modders? With giant maps, more players allowed, every option you could think of? How can locked down servers, 6v6 only and no mod capability be BETTER than that?

Yea considering it's source, I see no reasons to not allow player-made maps (other than greed, of course).

What do you mean it won't work?

It's possible to complete a 64 player Conquest game in Battlefield's larger maps without finding anyone on the larger maps or spend the game spawning and randomly being sniped by snipers, tanks and jets. The maps are massive to accommodate 64 players, lowering the cap decreases the likelihood of the above happening but also further decreases the chances to play a combat filled game. .

It's possible to play a 64 player TDM game and spend the entire game getting spawn killed in COD & Battlefield and Halo (to a far lesser degree).

=It won't work

Better designed maps and fixed spawn points plus spawn protection could rectify most of the above issues regardless of the player cap but the above games incorporate spawn & revenge spawn killing to accommodate noobs.

Back