Tim Cook: Running Apple ‘Is Sort Of A Lonely Job’

HardOCP News

[H] News
Tim Cook sat down for an interview with the Washington Post and discussed a wide range of topics such as taxes, the ability to unlock iPhones and why Apple refuses to do it, its $3 billion purchase of Beats and why it's so lonely at the top.

Cook sat down with The Washington Post to discuss his first five years in one of Corporate America’s most glaring spotlights. In two sprawling and highly self-reflective interviews — one in his office and another by phone just before he left for vacation in Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks — Cook described why the visibility of the job has been “shocking,” how he’s learned to deal with the scrutiny, and who he’s turned to for advice at pivotal moments (Warren Buffett, on his decision to return cash to shareholders, and Anderson Cooper about publicly disclosing he is gay).

718.gif

The closer you get to the top, the fewer peers you have. The fewer people there are able to actually relate to you. Especially when we are talking about the top end of a company like Apple.
If only he did not have "one dollar more" syndrome, he could retire. He is fabulously wealthy at this point. He could retire easily and live a life of leisure. He would have the time and money for whatever he wanted to do with whoever he wanted to do it with.

I see info like this:

More importantly, almost all of Apple’s cash and securities are stashed overseas, proceeds from sales outside the United States that Apple will not bring back because it would then have to pay U.S. taxes. Maestri said Tuesday that $200 billion of Apple’s reserves — a whopping 93% — are overseas, and Cook has expressly said Apple does not plan to sacrifice roughly 40% of that stash in order to bring the proceeds home to Cupertino, Calif.

and it makes me hate the company even more (info taken from: Apple isn’t really sitting on $216 billion in cash).

Boo fucking hoo, Tim, boo fucking hoo, cry me a god damned river of cash why don't ya.

The closer you get to the top, the fewer peers you have. The fewer people there are able to actually relate to you. Especially when we are talking about the top end of a company like Apple.
If only he did not have "one dollar more" syndrome, he could retire. He is fabulously wealthy at this point. He could retire easily and live a life of leisure. He would have the time and money for whatever he wanted to do with whoever he wanted to do it with.

Pretty much this.

Apple has entered its Steve Ballmer phase: milking existing hardware and software while the company gets stale and boring.

I don't own many Apple products except for their amazing aluminum keyboard and an iPad. I must say that their iOS runs like a BOSS in comparison to Windows 10 and Android

Why does Apple, the company, owe taxes on that?

Philosophically or literally? Literally, I don't know, but Philosophically, Apple sits on American soil, uses American workers driving on American tax paid roads, who learned from American tax paid education, many of whom received American tax-paid subsidies and gained experience in the American Economy....

Essentially, No business can exist in a vacuum: A business uses the splendour of its land to produce a product and enjoy the profits, in turn, however, it owes the country who paid out for the infrastructure and lifestyle that the business takes advantage of. How much it owes and how much success one can say is attributed to the country's splendour is another conversation entirely.

If Apple is so successful and wealthy, then why don't they lower prices and help people out?

I don't own many Apple products except for their amazing aluminum keyboard and an iPad. I must say that their iOS runs like a BOSS in comparison to Windows 10 and Android

Fair enough, but it still doesn't change the fact they aren't really making anything new, but instead just milking their current offerings.

Philosophically or literally? Literally, I don't know, but Philosophically, Apple sits on American soil, uses American workers driving on American tax paid roads, who learned from American tax paid education, many of whom received American tax-paid subsidies and gained experience in the American Economy....

Essentially, No business can exist in a vacuum: A business uses the splendour of its land to produce a product and enjoy the profits, in turn, however, it owes the country who paid out for the infrastructure and lifestyle that the business takes advantage of. How much it owes and how much success one can say is attributed to the country's splendour is another conversation entirely.
Just to be clear, do you realize that the money you are talking about is money that was earned in a foreign country on goods manufactured in a foreign country and sold by workers in a foreign country?

What you are arguing here is that simply because a team of US apple engineers designed a product on US soil that any time an Apple product is sold in Germany or France or wherever from an Apple store that their revenue should be subjected to being taxed by the US. That policy you are advocating for seems too aggressive to me not to mention perfectly legal for a multinational corporation to refuse subjecting its global revenue to that policy.

If Apple is so successful and wealthy, then why don't they lower prices and help people out?

Shareholders own Apple, not Tim Cook or any employee. So while Apple is making tons of money, investors/shareholders are the one who the company is accountable to. This isn't a non profit company and people invest in it to make a profit, not to help the less fortunate. Go in and start chopping prices and lowering margins and shareholders would revolt and replace management. Then you would also destroy the brand as apple is a semi luxury brand. The extra cost is part of the reason people buy it. Not all the "peasants" can afford it.

Back