Thoughts on the ASUS 27" VG279QL1A?

Tobit

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2010/May 2011
Building my first desktop rig in many years, looking at displays and the ASUS TUF Gaming 27" VG279QL1A 1080p is at the top of my short list. I'm going to be stuck at 1080p for awhile because of the current GPU crisis.
  • 27-inch Full HD (1920 x 1080) IPS gaming monitor with ultrafast 165Hz refresh rate designed for professional gamers and immersive gameplay
  • Brightness: 400 nits, 1000:1 contrast ratio, 16.7m display colors, 178-degree viewing angles, HDR10 support
  • Supports both Adaptive-Sync with NVIDIA GeForce* graphics cards and FreeSync with AMD Radeon graphics cards *Compatible with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 10 series, GTX 16 series, RTX 20 series and newer graphics cards
I like how it supports FreeSync and AdaptiveSync because I'm not sure which GPU I will ultimately end up with. For now, I'm stuck with an RX 480 8GB.

Price fits my budget at $280. Anything else I should consider though?

Last edited:
Looks nice except one thing: it apparently locks brightness setting in sRGB mode.
I do not know what exact brightness it is set to but sRGB standard is at 80cd/m2 and typical values for it are from withing 80-120cd/m2 which might be either too dim or too bright.
Usually for desktop usage 80cd/m2 is fine, even for longer periods (at least if monitor itself is not too offensive for eyes which this should not be) but for games and movies it might be too dim, especially in well lit room. To me this is a big no no as I usually change brightness level a lot from ~80cd/m2 to even 200-300cd/m2.

It might be possible to change brightness using softMCCS but since this trick is not often known I doubt there is any way to confirm this. Heck, reviews often do not mention such restrictions.

sRGB mode is of course relevant on wide gamut monitors because wide gamut is not exactly something that looks very correct in most content.

Reactions: Tobit
like this
Back