Third failed SSD :(

Ryom

[H]ard|Gawd
General venting... I've recently had issues during windows update that render my system unbootable for a random length of time. After that my system started hanging in Windows. Not long after that the BIOS wasn't detecting the drive during the POST sometimes.

So it wasn't difficult to narrow it down to the OS drive causing the issues. I've had two Intel X-25m (80gb and 160gb) SSDs go bad on me so far in this rig as well as a Crucial SSD in another system. I've put a Samsung 250GB 450EVO on order and I'm going to do a clean install to that. I've still got two regular hard drives ticking away without issue in my rig... a WD Velociraptor 600GB and a Seagate 1.5TB.

Hoping for better luck in the future!

The Intel SSD toolbox gave me this:
Error: An error was detected reading data from the selected Intel SSD. Contact your reseller or local Intel representative for assistance.

Anyone else burning through SSDs?

Last edited:
Have you checked your power supply voltages with a meter? You either have the very bad luck or you have some component that is destroying your SSDs.

I've had two Intel X-25m (80gb and 160gb) SSDs go bad on me so far in this rig as well as a Crucial SSD in another system.

These are proven to be very reliable models.

Edit: What model is the Crucial? I believe the M4 needed a firmware update.

Last edited:
I would agree it sounds like a power issue, I'd even check power at the wall sockets.

I've had five ssd's so far and only one failed on me. That was the same Intel X-25 80gig. I put a ticket in to intel and they cross shipped me a new one. The new one hasn't had any issues for the past four years or so. But then it's in a laptop that doesn't get much use now.

I think it stopped working after a hard shut down due to bad overclocking of the cpu or gpu. And after that none of my computers would see it in bios.

I've sold and installed around 100 Kingston hyper x 3k's, about 200 samsung 840 evo's, 20 corsair force gt's, 10 intels, and about 12 ocz ssds. Of those I estimate 8 oczs have failed completely, 8 kingstons, no corsair, no intels, and 1 evo. By far ocz has burned me the worst professionally and personally. Samsung has been very reliable. I just do samsung for retail now , Samsung for personal, and Intel or samsung for server.

Wall power is good, and the voltage from the PSU (PC Power & Cooling 750watt) is good. I think I just have bad luck. If my Samsung 450EVO fails within the next 3 years I'll start checking for gremlins. I was kind of amping for more space than the 80GB and 160GB I had with the Intel drives. I've been junction linking games I'm currently playing onto my SSD, but that's tough with some games these days. With the Samsung 250GB I'll have room to link Dragon Age Inquisition onto my SSD which should be a big help with load times... they are slow even from a Velociraptor which is about as good as spinning rust gets.

I'm starting to see file corruption on my current Intel SSD so I'm going to disable my backups until the Samsung is here. Thankfully I do nightly incrementals so I should be able to restore without much trouble... it's just a matter of getting all my settings and programs set back up the way I like. I'm taking the opportunity to do a clean install and lose whatever cruft I've accumulated.

I use FreeFileSync (uses volume shadow copy so it gets everything) to keep a running copy of everything on two 4TB USB 3.0 Seagate externals.

my_computer_1-2-2015.PNG

Last edited:
Back