Thinking about getting a 7900xt or xtx, but worried about my psu and coil whine problems people are reporting

scoobert

Limp Gawd
Sadly I think I need to replace my faithful and loved evga 1080 ti ftw and looking at the 7900xt or likely a xtx since getting a 4080 for anything close to msrp is not possible thanks to nvida bending everybody over yet again.

My power supply is an evga 850 gold G2 am I going to need to replace it to meet the demands of these cards?

Also it seems lots of people are complaining about coil whine. Is this a huge issue and are their brands that are better then others?

Thanks folks

should be ok, i think. min recommended is 750w. theres a xtx posted in the fs/t if youre into that sorta thing...

should be ok, i think. min recommended is 750w. theres a xtx posted in the fs/t if youre into that sorta thing...
Thanks but not at todays prices. Taking a chance on my 1080 used at 300 back in the day was one thing. But spending 800 on a used card just is more risk then I will take. At that point I would spend the 200 to get a warranty :)

Thank you though, I appreciate the input.

Thanks but not at todays prices. Taking a chance on my 1080 used at 300 back in the day was one thing. But spending 800 on a used card just is more risk then I will take. At that point I would spend the 200 to get a warranty :)

Thank you though, I appreciate the input.
Are you still saying AMD has a much bigger risk of coil whine hence your concern?

No, I am saying a 9% discount is not enough for me to take any risk on a used 840 dollar item. At that point I would spend the extra 90 bucks and get it new.
Only 9%? Where is this place? :) Where I live - SOMETIMES, used 7900 xtx cards are as low as $1100 (I said maybe - assuming the seller will go down to that price or hasn't sold it and left the ad or it's not a scam). The cheapest new ones are around $1400 - so, there's a $300 difference. Yeah, at $90 diff., 'might as well get the new card.

Look on reddit - if you trust the posters - there's some posts about 7900 xtx (brands) and coil whine - they come to the same conclusion here (I'd say) - it's the lottery and it can be due to settings (if fps is getting higher - there's more chance of it happening/hearing it) - there's a youtube video of someone testing power limits with the 7900 xtx. Some ppl say that quality of psu can be a factor.

Imho, I'd avoid the XFX card only because it appears to be pretty loud ootb (due to fans?) - and this seems to be the case from tech reviews and user reviews - although, it doesn't seem to have a lot of complaints of coil whine.

If you buy it new - the added bonus is being able to try it for 10-14 days and being able to return it (under 2 wks?) if you do get a card with coil whine and it bothers you. The exchange option for peace of mind is a good reason to go new, also. I'd try to buy locally, if possible.

Only 9%? Where is this place? :) Where I live - SOMETIMES, used 7900 xtx cards are as low as $1100 (I said maybe - assuming the seller will go down to that price or hasn't sold it and left the ad or it's not a scam). The cheapest new ones are around $1400 - so, there's a $300 difference. Yeah, at $90 diff., 'might as well get the new card.

Look on reddit - if you trust the posters - there's some posts about 7900 xtx (brands) and coil whine - they come to the same conclusion here (I'd say) - it's the lottery and it can be due to settings (if fps is getting higher - there's more chance of it happening/hearing it) - there's a youtube video of someone testing power limits with the 7900 xtx. Some ppl say that quality of psu can be a factor.

Imho, I'd avoid the XFX card only because it appears to be pretty loud ootb (due to fans?) - and this seems to be the case from tech reviews and user reviews - although, it doesn't seem to have a lot of complaints of coil whine.

If you buy it new - the added bonus is being able to try it for 10-14 days and being able to return it (under 2 wks?) if you do get a card with coil whine and it bothers you. The exchange option for peace of mind is a good reason to go new, also. I'd try to buy locally, if possible.
In the US.

A 7900XTX is 929.00 at both newegg and Amazon. Both in stock

https://www.newegg.com/xfx-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-rx-79xmercb9/p/N82E16814150878?Item=N82E16814150878

$921 at amazon now

https://www.amazon.com/XFX-Speedster-MERC310-Graphics-RX-79XMERCB9/dp/B0BNLSW23M/ref=sr_1_1?crid=10S6H4J1EY7GU&keywords=7900xtx&qid=1708212318&sprefix=7900xtx,aps,103&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

The guy with a used one want 800 + 5% for paypal fees so $840 for a used one that might have issues and no store to deal with or 929 (89 dollars more) for a brand new one from amazon or the egg. But it is the xfx, so i might check more reviews on it

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
In the US.

A 7900XTX is 929.00 at both newegg and Amazon. Both in stock

https://www.newegg.com/xfx-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-rx-79xmercb9/p/N82E16814150878?Item=N82E16814150878

$921 at amazon now

https://www.amazon.com/XFX-Speedster-MERC310-Graphics-RX-79XMERCB9/dp/B0BNLSW23M/ref=sr_1_1?crid=10S6H4J1EY7GU&keywords=7900xtx&qid=1708212318&sprefix=7900xtx,aps,103&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

The guy with a used one want 800 + 5% for paypal fees so $840 for a used one that might have issues and no store to deal with or 929 (89 dollars more) for a brand new one from amazon or the egg. But it is the xfx, so i might check more reviews on it
Tough call. I believe there's some guys on here with that card. IIRC, most of them were content/satisfied with it but my extra research led me to believe I probably wouldn't like it cuz of the noise (fans) and I dunno how common it is to have coil whine with that card. I have the impression that it's a pretty low incidence rate - the most complaints have to do with the default/stock aggressive fan profile. If you look up the TPU review for it - it's the loudest AIB 7900 XTX. It's also one of the longest/largest 7900 xtx - so check dimensions of the gpu and your case. But, read newegg, amazon, reddit and web(google?) user reviews for it - to get a more widespread idea?

I would only pick a new one if that brand/model, myself - but, that's me. I'm looking at some used ones - but, mostly the Nitro, MSI and occasionally Gigabyte and Asus Tuf has come up - I'd be open to used Nitro, MSI and Tuf cards. I was spoiled by a quiet Asus Tuf 3080 card so I know what noise level I'm comfortable with.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I recently picked up a Powercolor Hellhound 7900XT and it's had quite a number of complaints about coil whine. For me it does exhibit some excessive coil whine but only in a handful of game menus where my old 2080ti would also whine. During desktop usage or actually in-game it's silent. This is on a Corsair 1000W SFX PSU using one cable split into two PCI-E power connectors.

Ive been using 850watts since day one with a 7900XTX and no problems whatsoever.

The PSU is MSI A850G.

Clearly some of you need to go to more concerts or something ;) Never ever heard a coil whine from any video card I have ever had and I run a water cooling loop that is nearly dead quiet.

Clearly some of you need to go to more concerts or something ;) Never ever heard a coil whine from any video card I have ever had and I run a water cooling loop that is nearly dead quiet.
lots of people have their PCs on their desks 3' from their heads. i say move them. i cant hear shit with mine 8-9' away...

Sadly I think I need to replace my faithful and loved evga 1080 ti ftw and looking at the 7900xt or likely a xtx since getting a 4080 for anything close to msrp is not possible thanks to nvida bending everybody over yet again.

My power supply is an evga 850 gold G2 am I going to need to replace it to meet the demands of these cards?

Also it seems lots of people are complaining about coil whine. Is this a huge issue and are their brands that are better then others?

Thanks folks
I have absolutely ZERO coil whine with my xfx merc 310 7900xt. That being said, my psu is a FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000w so the power is clean. The 7900xt pulls 300+ watts all by itself so you may want to but I’m not sure you have to.

Hope you enjoy your new card!

7900xtx owner here.
Power Color branded reference card.
850 watt seasonic ps.

Only experience coil wine on Unity game menus where the devs forget to cap the frame rate.
Had this same issues with my 1080Ti Asus for what it’s worth.

Only experience coil wine on Unity game menus where the devs forget to cap the frame rate.
thats usually what causes it, its the only time i can hear my 6700 screaming(if i go up to it), and why i suggest a frame cap to stop it.

With FPS uncapped I have to get next to my case to hear any kind of whine. There is a little once you get into the 1000s.

Thanks folks
I would just buy it from a store with an easy return policy. I buy stuff from Best Buy and Amazon with zeo return issues.

You can't really tell this stuff, like noise, until you plug it into your system and it can vary from card to card even from the same manufactuer.

850W gold rated power supply should easily meet the needs of those video cards.

Not only can coil whine vary from card to card of the same model it can also vary depending on the combination of power supply and individual card, a card can be fine with one PSU and loud with another even if they're both good high quality PSUs.

I've got the XFX Merc 7900xtx and the only way I can hear any coil whine is with my ear right next to the open case and a super high framerate. I can hear the fans during a GPU intensive game but only when the game is super quiet or I have the sound muted. I haven't bothered to change the profile even though I'm fairly sensitive to fan noise, based on some of the reviews I read the fan noise really is due to an aggressive fan curve rather than a lack of cooling capability since you can tweak it to get rid of the excess noise without having any real effect on performance unless you're trying to overclock it. It is a long card though and I'm lucky I don't need the second drive bay in my case.

I would also consider the Nitro and Red Devil cards but last I checked they were noticeably more expensive than the Merc which was closer in price to the Pulse and Hellhound cards while being comparable in performance and build quality to the Nitro and RD.

I have no whine. I am watercooling my 7900xtx on a custom loop so if there is any whine its buried by the waterpump running or the 8 Delta PWM 38mm thick 120mm fans cooling all of this down.

I'm kinda looking at used ones - 7900 XTX cards, though - does anyone (here) have any opinions on the Sapphire Nitro+, Asus Tuf and MSI Gaming X Trio versions? I'm only considering those 3 - and only looking at used ones. These cards (new) are still expensive.
The reason I am considering these 3 - the latter two have transferable warranty in my country - just need the serial # and I found a seller of the Sapphire - and they claim they have a receipt.
They're all around the same $$ - and if any Canucks read this - they want $1200 (except for the Asus - $1100) - this is around $885 USD. (Remember - used, though?).

Good deals? Too much still? For me, it's a bit high - I am short about $200-ish - but, I can come up with it soon. I wanted a 4080 - and sometimes (rare) - I find one asking $1200 - but, because of the stock shortages of the 4080 Super - even the vanilla 4080 commands a super exorbitant price on the used market for me. Avg. $1300 and up - and that's too high for my blood.

I'm still on topic, right? The Powercolor models seem to have high temps/occasionally reports of coil whine - the XFX models (only one card, afaik) - have reports of loud fan noise, temp problems - pump out - or thermal paste that comes out - since the quality of the paste application is so bad (allegedly) - and since, I'm looking at used cards - I decided to pass on XFX cards - I'd rather not have to do a re-paste immediately after buying a gpu.

I'm kinda looking at used ones - 7900 XTX cards, though - does anyone (here) have any opinions on the Sapphire Nitro+, Asus Tuf and MSI Gaming X Trio versions? I'm only considering those 3 - and only looking at used ones. These cards (new) are still expensive.
The reason I am considering these 3 - the latter two have transferable warranty in my country - just need the serial # and I found a seller of the Sapphire - and they claim they have a receipt.
They're all around the same $$ - and if any Canucks read this - they want $1200 (except for the Asus - $1100) - this is around $885 USD. (Remember - used, though?).

Good deals? Too much still? For me, it's a bit high - I am short about $200-ish - but, I can come up with it soon. I wanted a 4080 - and sometimes (rare) - I find one asking $1200 - but, because of the stock shortages of the 4080 Super - even the vanilla 4080 commands a super exorbitant price on the used market for me. Avg. $1300 and up - and that's too high for my blood.

I'm still on topic, right? The Powercolor models seem to have high temps/occasionally reports of coil whine - the XFX models (only one card, afaik) - have reports of loud fan noise, temp problems - pump out - or thermal paste that comes out - since the quality of the paste application is so bad (allegedly) - and since, I'm looking at used cards - I decided to pass on XFX cards - I'd rather not have to do a re-paste immediately after buying a gpu.
If you're going AMD, Sapphire usually makes the best AIB versions. Also I've heard their customer service is on the better end if that's important to you.

If you're going AMD, Sapphire usually makes the best AIB versions. Also I've heard their customer service is on the better end if that's important to you.
i have several friends including myself that got fucked over by sapphire on RMA's, they changed after 5000 series, and have new management... i found this out after... stay the hell away from them if you ever decide to repaste your gpu yourself

XFX 7900XTX here with a EVGA 850w power supply. Not a hint of whine even without vsync on pushing max frames all the time.

No whine on my 7900XTX, running on an MSI 850W.

Some people had their coil whine problems solved by running three separate cables to the card from the PSU by the way.

Back