Thermaltake Core X9 Case Review

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are into gigantic cases, you are definitely going to like this review of the Thermaltake Core X9 case at TechSpot.

The Core X9 is a behemoth, boasting a bar-fridge-like 122L capacity -- large enough that Thermaltake says dual systems are on the menu, not to mention the possibilities for liquid cooling and file servers. "Super Towers" or "Ultra Towers" such as the Lian Li D8000, Cooler Master Cosmos II and Corsair Obsidian 900D typically cost upwards of $300, so we're eager to see what Thermaltake's Core X9 delivers for almost 40% less.

funny the case didnt look that big until I realized those really are 5.25 drive bays, but they look so tiny in the pic

As an owner of the TT Core X9, the TechSpot failed to mention two points about the case which are sore spots with me.

The drive bays did not sit properly even after the thumb-screws were snugged down. This is visible in one of TechSpots' images.

Second, the design of the 3.5" hard drive bays on the bottom left-side make attaching power and data cables challenging when installing SSDs. To me, it seems that Thermaltake fell short of realizing many people would opt to install SSDs in the 3.5" drive bays than to block heatsink/liquid cooling block directly under the motherboard tray.

Taking the positives and negatives into account, as a whole, I am satisfied with the Core X9. The case gives me enough leg-room to alleviate knuckle-busting when installing new additions though I wish they would have put more thought into the implementation of the previous mentioned issues.

As another owner of an X9, I mirror AceGoober's summation of the case.

Basically the drive cages on the bottom are the only true sore spot.

Hopefully a second rev of the case, or some alternate cage hardware allowing for different types of drive cages to be put in would go a LONG way towards alleviating the problems of the case.

MyRig-08312015.jpg

One. And a LOT of cooling.

And if once case isn't enough space? They're stackable... 500mm rads anyone?

I'm in the market for a new case for a upcoming build. I'm interested in both the Core X9 and the Air 540. Excluding thoughts on how they look (some people find the 540 unappealing visually), which case would be considered "better"? The reviews I've dead have the X9 being cooler (probably due to it being bigger), but with the mentioned issue with the drive cages, would it be better to wait for an X9 revision (however long that may take)?

Or are they other cases of this size and price range that would be recommended?

Well, I know I've dropped submissions to Thermaltake for a drive cage retrofit, ESPECIALLY if they make them after-market compatible with existing X9 cases.

A standard "front to back" 2.5" x 6 drive cage could easily replace the cage that sits closer to the back of the case.

A standard "front to back" 3.5 or two could replace the current cage that sits toward the front of the case unless one is dropping a rad in the area behind it.

Back