Thermaltake Core X9 Black E-ATX Cube Case $120 AR @ Frys w/promo code

Bellz

Limp Gawd
Price Breakdown: $159.99 - $20 promo code - $20 Rebate = $119.99.
This is a weekly deal, so it's good from 3/20/16-3/26/16 in-store or online. Seems to be in-stock at most locations and online.

This thing is a monster. Flat E-ATX motherboard support, removable motherboard tray, multiple large radiator support, lots of room for HDDs and water cooling gear.

Regular price online for this is around the $160 range, so this looks like a good deal, if you can use it.

Thermaltake Core X9 Black E-ATX Tt LCS Certified Cube Chassis CA-1D8-00F1WN-00 PC Computer Case

I have one of those. I ended up going into Microcenter thinking I probably wasn't going to buy anything, and then coming out with that case. It just really impressed me when I inspected their display model. Lots of room to work with, and very customizable. I really hate the HDD bay (like that single one you'd just stick one into, not the multi drive bays; those are fine) under the motherboard, though. Feels kinda useless because some of the clip in sections block the cord that you'd plug into it. =\

Other than that, though it's a great case even if you're not going into water cooling, simply because of how much space it has to work with inside. Plus it's a model where the motherboard is rotated clockwise from the normal position to lie flat. That's something I'm a huge fan of because it makes much more sense in terms of airflow. Especially if you're planning to SLI a pair of non-blower GPUs.

Last edited:
I bought one of these for around the same price on Amazon a couple of months ago.

I can't help but offer a few words of warning:

First off... THIS THING IS MASSIVE. I mean, there are dorm fridges smaller than this case. Don't buy it unless you have the room for it and want to make it a centerpiece of your office/bedroom/whatever.

There are also a few quality issues:

* The front fan on mine rubbed against the removable filter and made an annoying clicking sound no matter what I did. I tried everything and ended up removing the damn filter. Near as I can tell the plastic that makes up my front bezel is warped so that the front of the case is slightly concave and that's what caused the problem.
* I ran into several instances where the included thumbscrews were torqued down so tightly that you needed a screwdriver to remove them, and several of those were still so tight that I ended up stripping the screw head while removing them. The slot cover thumbscrews in particular were an absolute nightmare.
* There are provisions for mounting a single 3.5" HDD and two 2.5" SSD/HDDs under the motherboard tray, but the aforementioned 3.5" mounting location is dubious since it's impossible to use an inline SATA power connector there. The rail that the motherboard tray sits on prevents that... so if you're going to use this location you have to use the LAST SATA power connector on one of your power supply cables. There are loads of dedicated 3.5" HDD bays to use instead of this one, though, so this complaint is relatively minor. The SSD mounting locations also suffer from this to a lesser degree.

Overall there are lots of little quality issues, but it's still a fantastic case especially when you consider the price and extremely modular design. This case takes modular design to an extreme - it's so modular in fact that you can literally bolt TWO (or more) of these cases together vertically and make your own custom multi-system all-in-one build, use more space for wacky watercooling, etc. I've often had the thought to buy two or three more of these and make something the size of a large rack just because it's possible. :D

Back