Thermal paste, epoxy, grease, compound?

Crimson Tear

Limp Gawd
Are these all the same thing? Can I stick a passive chipset cooler to my NB using thermal grease or do I have to use epoxy? Basically I need to know how tacky each of these are if they are different at all. Your help is appreciated.

paste grease and compound are all the same thing, just goopy. Epoxy is perminent glue.
Does your motherboard have mounting holes for a chipset cooler?

Thermal Grease/Paste/Compound all mean the same thing. This is stuff like Arctic Silver 5 that you probably hear all the time. This stuff is not adhesive, but it works the best as a way to transfer heat and fill up those microscopic "valleys". Sometimes you might see a processor stuck to the heatsink

Epoxy is the stuff you're looking for. I've never used it, but I assume it's a lot like thermal paste but I think you just have to mix it..

Also I've heard people use super glue on like two opposite corners of a chipset. and just put the thermal grease in the middle. But I don't know how well this method would work on any recent chipset cores...

ChingChang said:
Epoxy is the stuff you're looking for. I've never used it, but I assume it's a lot like thermal paste but I think you just have to mix it..

Also I've heard people use super glue on like two opposite corners of a chipset. and just put the thermal grease in the middle. But I don't know how well this method would work on any recent chipset cores...
If you don't have mount points for a heatsink and don't have compound yet, it's worth it to just get the real thing. 50/50 of epoxy/compound is always nice as well, it's less perminent and can be removed carefully.

No mounting holes that I can see, just hooks. My HSF on my IS7's NB is going out and making loud(er than normal) bearing noise. I was looking at the Zalman ZMNB47J at FrozenCPU ( here ), any better suggestions?

I have an IC7 and the wife runs an IS7. I replaced the NB HSF's on both with the Thermalright NB-1C. Here's a link to one source. They come with spring hooks and mount right up to the stock loops provided on the MoBo. The egg used to sell these....not listed anymore.

I've also had some success taking them apart and lubing the bearing. You'll have to peel the label off and get some very light oil down in the bearing. I still think the Thermalright is the best answer, but the OEM fans can be lubed and coaxed into running a bit longer.

Good luck - B.B.S.

Edit - whoops....they are "sold out".....Frozen CPU has the aluminum version in stock, it seems........So does 3DCool....

Oh, yeah, on an IS7 you have lots of options that don't involve perminently gluing on a heatsink. Zalman makes a nice line on fanless NB sinks that are compatable

BlindedByScience said:
I have an IC7 and the wife runs an IS7. I replaced the NB HSF's on both with the Thermalright NB-1C. Here's a link to one source. They come with spring hooks and mount right up to the stock loops provided on the MoBo. The egg used to sell these....not listed anymore.

I've also had some success taking them apart and lubing the bearing. You'll have to peel the label off and get some very light oil down in the bearing. I still think the Thermalright is the best answer, but the OEM fans can be lubed and coaxed into running a bit longer.

Good luck - B.B.S.

Edit - whoops....they are "sold out".....Frozen CPU has the aluminum version in stock, it seems........So does 3DCool....

Yeah, I thought about lubing the fan, but it's a loud POS anyway and needs replacing.

I saw those, but I'm really looking for something passive. Those are only active cooling right?

Vertigo Acid said:
Oh, yeah, on an IS7 you have lots of options that don't involve perminently gluing on a heatsink. Zalman makes a nice line on fanless NB sinks that are compatable

Do you know where I can buy them?

You can buy thermal adhesive and thermal tape. . .I think using epoxy or super glue is just stupid; you're asking for things to fuck up. You can also find passive northbridges that use the same mounting holes as the active heatsink, so that you can use thermal paste without needing any adhesiveness.

Crimson Tear said:
I saw those, but I'm really looking for something passive. Those are only active cooling right?
Yes, the Thermalright uses a fan. Both those places linked have the Zalman passive heat sinks in stock that will fit your NB's OEM mounts.

Only thing to consider is that if you OC at all, these NB's can run pretty dang hot. That's why there's a fan on 'em in the first place. Can't say enough good things about the Thermalright....it's a quality unit and even with the little Delta fan on it, it's not that loud....our 6600GT / 6800GT's drown it out completely.....:D

Regards - B.B.S.

Back