The Xbox One reveal was 10 years ago.

CastletonSnob

Weaksauce
Hard to believe, but 10 years ago, Microsoft's Xbox One was revealed.

I still remember exactly where I was when it happened, and I still remember the absolute shitstorm that followed. The XBone never really recovered from the absolutely disastrous reveal.

That's the single worst console I've ever owned and I owned a Jaguar, too. I bought a whopping 2 games for it and eventually sold it to a friend for a fraction of what I paid. With no exclusive games, there was no point to having one. At my house it was like a glorified Amazon Firestick since it at least made a good streaming device.

Dan Mattrick almost singlehandedly destroyed the Xbox brand.

Was it really his fault? Surely he was just the spokesperson?

I think the most disappointing thing for me is that that was the generation in which the console makers stopped trying to be cutting edge. It had what... an 8 core AMD Jaguar and a Radeon HD-7870 or thereabouts? Or maybe I'm thinking the PS4's GPU. In any case, it was definitely a step backward from the Xbox 360, which release in 2005 with unified shaders (wouldn't be until Nvidia's G80 that we'd see those on the PC front). And then Nintendo hur-derped its way into the market with the Wii-U, which was more in line with the prior generation than the then-current gen.

Was it really his fault? Surely he was just the spokesperson?

I think the most disappointing thing for me is that that was the generation in which the console makers stopped trying to be cutting edge. It had what... an 8 core AMD Jaguar and a Radeon HD-7870 or thereabouts? Or maybe I'm thinking the PS4's GPU. In any case, it was definitely a step backward from the Xbox 360, which release in 2005 with unified shaders (wouldn't be until Nvidia's G80 that we'd see those on the PC front). And then Nintendo hur-derped its way into the market with the Wii-U, which was more in line with the prior generation than the then-current gen.
He was president of Microsoft's interactive entertainment division, now colloquially known as the Xbox division, when the Xbox One was developed. He explicitly states that the decision to focus the Xbox One on being an all-encompassing entertainment device was his. If there is one person to blame it would be him.

Bundling the Kinect was just moronic, the PS4 was the easy choice. It's OK though, Microsoft has rebounded by buying every publisher & studio they can get their hands on and creating the Netflix of video games.

Back