The Official HP w2207/w2007 Thread

Thank you for answering my question. When I try to hook up my computer and monitor via a DVI cable. The monitor would only show the background (my wallpaper only) and there aren't any else on the desktop. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Do you have another monitor hooked up simultaneously? Right-click on the desktop and click "properties." Click the "settings" tab and make sure it is showing your w2207. If your card has a VGA port and a DVI port, then it sounds like you were using the VGA port previously and the drivers still think you prefer the VGA port.

If your card has two DVI ports, then try hooking the monitor to the other one. You haven't given enough information really. List your specs.

Thankx bicycle wreck. I had noticed the differences between dvi and vga... I am very impressed by this monitor.

Best external 22" LCD Monitor
Hello guys! I need your help to find a good external 22" LCD Monitor for my HP 8510p laptop. (I was thinking in 24`ones as well, but they are relatively expensive than the 22" ones.) I made some search on the net and read many tests as well. So, I made my short list candidates. They are more or less the same prize category.

Purpose of using:
1. Gaming
2. Movies
3. Internet, word, excel - for working at home

Preferences in order:
1. Quality (no ghosting, crisp, colorful screen)
2. Connectivity to my laptop. (Only VGA and HDML i have)
3. Respond time
4. Adjustibility

So, the candidates are:
HP w2207h: seen it before, looks really god for me, one of the preferred one
HP w2408h: same as with 22" but bigger
Samsung 2253BW: many ppl suggested this, no experience
Samsung SyncMaster T220: barand new one, no exp. at all

My questions:
1. Which one do you suggest me to take? Do you have any experience with them?
2. Is there any quality change when I use a 24" lcd with 1680X1050?(Native Resolution is 1680X1050 for my laptop)

Thank you for your help in advance.

Any answer is valuable.

Bests,
anpe008

Hi folks,

I recently got one of these and it has a number of quirks I was wondering if people know anything about:

0. does anyone have recommendations for brightness/contrast settings for Xbox 360 connections (and what reference level, resolution on the Xbox works best)

1. when connected by either VGA or HDMI, the 'color' option in the menu is greyed out (the manual doesn't explain why this would be), but brightness and contrast work - is this a bug?

2. when the source is set to 1280x720 (either Xbox or PC) which is listed in the manual as a preset it can scale accurately to, the monitor info panel displays 1152x720 - bug?

3. when set to 1280x720 or other non-native widescreen resolutions, the 'scale to aspect ratio' doesn't scale correct, being stretched horizontally - bug? (I've been stretching it horizontally by altering the clock setting)

4. are the presets only different in brightness and contrast? is there any way to change those presets rather than having changes saved to the 'custom' preset? that would be handy for my 3 different devices I plug into the monitor at different times.

5. from limited experimentation with HDMI at 1080p, it seems to scale it down rather than crop. Is there a way to make it crop?

Cheers!
B

since yesterday, I joined the w2207 owners club :D
I bought a w2207h GTMH3.7 LM220WE1-TLB, manufactured Feb/2008 Czech Republic :cool:
I've read through the entire thread but I didn't find (or missed it) anyone with my panel posting calibrated settings (RGB, bright, cont etc). could someone please post his/hers settings or pm me
thnx in advance ;)

I purchased one of these a while back after reading every page of this forum :) I for some reason remained a lurker until recently, but I want to thank everyone in this thread, there's been a ton of useful info!

I called 4 officemax and none got STM001 (LTM220M1-L01) (Samsung). then I called 4 Bestbuy and only one store got 5 boxes, and they all STM001. I needed only one but I bought two just in case I need to exchange.

I found no issue with the first one. one left unopen. Tested with pixel buddy.

one thing I noticed that the background of this forum look black on my viewsonic VX2025WM but it look reddish on w2207h. Is this something I can adjust? anyone got optimized setting that you'd like to share?

I purchased one of these a while back after reading every page of this forum :) I for some reason remained a lurker until recently, but I want to thank everyone in this thread, there's been a ton of useful info!

1 +. this thread help me to learn how to find samsung pannel STM001. but it also made me work hard: drive around town and call every stores to hunt down samsung with $3.7/gallon gas. not sure this is a foolish thing to do.

I am not sure why samsung pannel is the most wanted but I read a few pages and look like everyone want samsung pannel.

I called 4 officemax and none got STM001 (LTM220M1-L01) (Samsung). then I called 4 Bestbuy and only one store got 5 boxes, and they all STM001. I needed only one but I bought two just in case I need to exchange.

I found no issue with the first one. one left unopen. Tested with pixel buddy.

one thing I noticed that the background of this forum look black on my viewsonic VX2025WM but it look reddish on w2207h. Is this something I can adjust? anyone got optimized setting that you'd like to share?

tried couple settings, it look good now. R:100; G:200; B:250
now my w2207h look better than viewsonic VX2025WM.

I have been using this monitor since Jan 08 and am very satisfied with it. I recently bought an ATI 3870 PCI-E card and have been having a few issues with display. I am running Vista 32 bit. When I install the Catalyst drivers 8.4 or 8.5 the display shrinks. Although the resolution is set at 1650X1050 I have a black border around the screen and the desktop does not cover the whole screen. I am using DVI to HDMI cable. There is however no problem with Catalyst 8.3 driver. Another thing, I have installed the monitor driver from the HP website ( driver for w2207, I can't seem to find any driver for w2207h) but in my display property, my monitors Max resolution is shown as 1920X1080. I know that cant be right. I have tried manually updating the HP driver in vista but it does not seem to change. I would like to install the latest ATI drivers for my card as I like 3D gaming. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DM

I can't help you with your 3870 prob but I can tell you that the driver is a generic driver for all w2207 submodels .. I don't think your prob is related to the w2207 driver.. probably something to do with the HDMI-DVI converter

I can't help you with your 3870 prob but I can tell you that the driver is a generic driver for all w2207 submodels .. I don't think your prob is related to the w2207 driver.. probably something to do with the HDMI-DVI converter

I will try with a different cable. If I was to use the DVI to VGA cable, will it affect the quality of the image?

I don't really know because I haven't tried the analog cable with my w2207h. other than the vga driver pixel mapping, you will probably not see any major differences between digital and analog cable. if that solves your black border prob, I say stick with the analog cable ;)

I don't really know because I haven't tried the analog cable with my w2207h. other than the vga driver pixel mapping, you will probably not see any major differences between digital and analog cable. if that solves your black border prob, I say stick with the analog cable ;)

Well changing from HDMA to VGA cable sorted out the problem. But there is another thing I noticed. In ATI Catalyst Control Centre, in the monitor properties I can see the following information noted:

Display Data Channel (DDC) : Supported

Display name: HP w2207

Maximum reported resolution: 1920x1080

Maximum reported refresh rate: 75 Hz

Now the last two information (Maximum reported resolution: 1920x1080 & Maximum reported refresh rate: 75 Hz) is certainly wrong. I don't know where is that coming from. May be ATI has put wrong info in their CCC code? Or is it coming from the monitor (as the DDC allows the display to communicate its specifications to the adapter) ? I am using Vista ultimate. The driver I have for the monitor came from windows update and has the following info:

Driver Provider : HP

Driver Date: 20/11/2006

Driver version: 2.0.0.0

Now I know the HP website do not have any specific driver for the w2207h. The driver version for w2207 is 1.00 Rev.A and the driver date is 03/2007. I must say I am thoroughly confused at this point.

After installing the ATI 8.5 drivers using the VGA cable, I did try swapping to the HDMI cable just to check it out. The problem returned as soon as Vista started. Going back to VGA cable sorted it out without any need for fiddling with the drivers. By the way, I did try the 1.00 Rev A driver before with the HDMI cable. It did not change anything.

Anyone else having problems like me? Does the DDC not work with VGA cables? Why is the wrong resolution & refresh rate showing up? Is there any way to find out what info the monitor is sending through the DDC link? Which drive would be better the V2 (made by HP) from windows update or the V1.00 Rev A from HP website? While in my day to day use I don't really see a difference in the performance of the VGA or the HDMI cable but when I change Bios settings or try to overclock, the VGA cable causes problem as the monitor keeps auto adjusting during boot and most of the time ends up not displaying the POST info, which is a bit annoying.:mad:

sorry I didn't mention this before but my max resolution is 1920x1080 too. so that's not an issue ... not just yours anyway ;)

sorry I didn't mention this before but my max resolution is 1920x1080 too. so that's not an issue ... not just yours anyway ;)

??? How is that possible? The specs for this monitor at the HP site says Display resolution 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz max. Can you actually use that resolution? Because with the VGA cable the Max res available at the display properties in Vista is 1680 x 1050 @ 60.

I just bought this display and hooked it up to my Playstation 3. The image is however stretched out(ps3 only outputs resolution in 16:9 format) so that it fills the whole screen. Changing between fixed aspection ratio and stretch to fill the screen under menu doesnt affect anything. So obviously the pixel mapping doesnt work in 720p(it does work in other resolutions, but then, only from left to right).

Is there a big quality loss in terms of image sharpness because of this problem? Anyone else who have tried to hook it up to a ps3 and their views on the overal image quality?
Uh-oh. I just bought an HP w2007 this month. I will be getting a PS3 next month.

Can anyone else with a PS3 and HP w2007 confirm/deny about the aspect ratio issues? The PS3's 16:9 image will be stretched out to fill 16:10 no matter what?!?!

can't help u bro .. I don't have a ps3 to test it .. but if you say its 720p, then its 1280x720 and its downscaling. keep it in "fill to aspect ratio" and you should get the best possible result for that resolution.

I have 2 HP W2207H's at my place right now. One is staying and the other is going back to the store :p

The service menu shows this info:

On the first one (Rev. ATMB0-120, HSTND-2271-B)
Ver1.00
AU22W - what does this mean?

the second (Rev. ITM003, HSTND-2271-F)

ITMH3.9
MT220WW01-V1

none of the panel codes I saw in here matched up - I've created a thread as well, but figured people might check this ginormous one more often :] Please help!

I live in a small town so I'm left with few options for monitors. The nearest large city is an hour away. I did find the HP 2207h locally, although I can't get info on the panel rev. My guess is that it is a later rev so that would likely be the LG panel right?

It seems that most with the 2207h are happy with it but I haven't seen anyone really comment how good it is with gaming. Specifically one of the later revision panel, not the Samsung panels, which I'm sure they don't have in my town.

this monitor does not use overdrive technology so there is no input lag ... none !!! that's on of the main reasons I chose my w2207h over some 2ms monitor! other than that it's a fast 5ms panel. you won't notice any ghosting!

I returned my w2007. Seems like it doesn't scale properly with Xbox 360... I got an official Microsoft VGA cable and tried it with all resolutions using "Fit to Aspect Ratio" and using the "auto adjust" function. The guy I quoted in this thread had a w2207 but it didn't scale properly with his PS3.

I talked to a guy who has a w2407 though and it scales properly with 360 and PS3.

I've been lurking on this thread for awhile and I've finally replaced my 19" CRT (Iiyama Pro) for a w2007v.

Wow.

It's dead crisp and the colours are flipping good. Can't fault it.

Had to turn vsync on in a couple of games due to tearing (welcome to tft gaming? :)) but the games look so vibrant and dead sexy. World in Conflict particulary looks stunning at 1680x1050 with full everything - so sharp.

This monitor seems well suited to TF2 also, put it in photo mode and the colours are brilliant for that game.

Haven't tweaked anything on the monitor as it looks great out the box to me. Just moved the OSD to the left.

So thanks for a great thread, I'm very happy with my purchase - plus it's one of the cheapest 20.1" screens in the UK these days!

Pics don't do justice but here's one :)

w2007vkb9.png

Not sure if you fixed this yet but I just got the hp w2207h at Bestbuy this week and I also have a ATI Radeon 3850 using a DVI to HDMI cable and after installing the ATI Catalyst 8.5 drivers I also saw the same issue as you.

But I fixed it pretty darn quick :)

Here is how to fix it.

Open up the ATI Catalyst Control Center. Use Advanced view. Then click the + next to DTV (DVI) 3 then click on Scaling Options and just move the little thing all the way to the right which will make it 0% Overscan.

Its that easy :)

For some reason ATI changed the default settings for Overscan in drivers 8.4 and 8.5.

I guess someone really should report this to ATI so they can make the Overscan setting 0% again for newer ATI drivers to come.

This little change can really drive someone nuts if they don't know how to fix it.

So now you don't have to use VGA anymore and can go back to the DVI to HDMI cable.

Also I think this is known issue but for anyone who has a ATI card with the HDMI Adapter don't use that. The HP W2207h does not like it for some reason. Thats what I heard anyway. Just use a DVI to HDMI cable and you are good to go :)

I hope I was helpful.

I have only had the HPW2207h for like a day but so far I love it.

I will post back later for what I think of it and maybe get a little info from you guys :)

Not sure if you fixed this yet but I just got the hp w2207h at Bestbuy this week and I also have a ATI Radeon 3850 using a DVI to HDMI cable and after installing the ATI Catalyst 8.5 drivers I also saw the same issue as you.

But I fixed it pretty darn quick :)

Here is how to fix it.

Open up the ATI Catalyst Control Center. Use Advanced view. Then click the + next to DTV (DVI) 3 then click on Scaling Options and just move the little thing all the way to the right which will make it 0% Overscan.

Its that easy :)

For some reason ATI changed the default settings for Overscan in drivers 8.4 and 8.5.

I guess someone really should report this to ATI so they can make the Overscan setting 0% again for newer ATI drivers to come.

This little change can really drive someone nuts if they don't know how to fix it.

So now you don't have to use VGA anymore and can go back to the DVI to HDMI cable.

Also I think this is known issue but for anyone who has a ATI card with the HDMI Adapter don't use that. The HP W2207h does not like it for some reason. Thats what I heard anyway. Just use a DVI to HDMI cable and you are good to go :)

I hope I was helpful.

I have only had the HPW2207h for like a day but so far I love it.

I will post back later for what I think of it and maybe get a little info from you guys :)

THANK YOU!!! That was just absolutely brilliant. I am back to using my HDMI port and feeling happy again:D. All the best to you mate.

I bought this last night I'm returning it because it gave me motion sickness :) Guess it's just me and back to my P911 Trinitron it's the best LCD I've ever used though but I just couldn't tolerate it for some reason.
Was really looking forward to trying it and having it work out. I turnned all the settings down on my 6600
it's just a focusing problem or something I seem to have with LCDs.

I bought this last night I'm returning it because it gave me motion sickness :) Guess it's just me and back to my P911 Trinitron it's the best LCD I've ever used though but I just couldn't tolerate it for some reason.
Was really looking forward to trying it and having it work out. I turnned all the settings down on my 6600
it's just a focusing problem or something I seem to have with LCDs.
Have you tried non-widescreen tft's? Just wondering if it's because of the field of view angle in games. Or do you mean in applications also? I know some people feel motion sickness in fps games unless they adjust the fov.

Yea I heard of motion sickness in games like Oblivion and Gears of War.
Just surfing the internet I would get sick then had a focusing problem trying to focus on the screen it looks nice and everything. It could be the TN panel :)

I guess I need to hold out for SED in 2015 or whatever

I hope I was helpful.

Thank you Thank you Thank you!! It has truly driven me nuts .. what a simple fix!

k.

so there's a panel lottery on the 2207?

i'm about to buy it tomorrow is there code on the box or something i should be looking for? to get the right panel?

I planning to get ps3 from ebay. I need to a hdmi to dvi port for the ps3, so I can use my w2207 monitor as the display, right? JUST TO MAKE SURE BEFORE I BUY...

I planning to get ps3 from ebay. I need to a hdmi to dvi port for the ps3, so I can use my w2207 monitor as the display, right? JUST TO MAKE SURE BEFORE I BUY...

Yes, but you must get the w2207h model. Make sure it has the "h" at the end to indicate it has the HDMI port...

Back