The Obligatory iPad 3 Announcement Thread

screen is pretty significant upgrade

The only significant upgrade would be if iOS removed a bunch of stupid limitations and allowed things like sharing files between apps.

iPad 2 is good enough for 99% of people, the extra res only matters for games and a few special apps. But of course many of those will be tempted to upgrade to the newest shiny object, that's how this works ;)

Is apple dumb? An upgrade for the forward camera makes sense for apps like skype.The ipad is perfect for a video conferenece if not for that shitty forward camera.Just dont understand this...oh wait that's probably coming in ipad 3zz. Who is going to use the ipad as a camera[back facing camera's purpose] on trips.

The only significant upgrade would be if iOS removed a bunch of stupid limitations and allowed things like sharing files between apps.

iPad 2 is good enough for 99% of people, the extra res only matters for games and a few special apps. But of course many of those will be tempted to upgrade to the newest shiny object, that's how this works ;)

go read text on iphone 3gs and compare it to iphone 4/4s
and tell me that resolution don't matter for reading

I just snagged an ipad 2 about two months ago.. I think I'll sell it or give it to my brother.. I ordered the 3..

I dont get why people need more than 16gb of space though.. who the fuck listens to music on a tablet?

Aside from video stored on your device... doesn't icloud defeat that now?

I can see the value on a plane... but even then.. many flights have wifi.. and just prepare up some stuff prior to if your flight wont.

/shrug.. I use mine mostly for netflix when traveling/ meeting planning with notes if i dont want to dig out my laptop/web browsing.. and remote connection to my machine at home via interwebs or lan.

I figure if theres anything I really need... Remote into machine at home... push files to drop box.. access from ipad via dropbox..

So is the new iPad still just usb 2.0? File transfers and back ups will still take forever...

So is the new iPad still just usb 2.0? File transfers and back ups will still take forever...

Yup. Apple has patents filed for Thunderbolt ports on their mobile devices though. It's only a matter of time...

I just snagged an ipad 2 about two months ago.. I think I'll sell it or give it to my brother.. I ordered the 3..

I dont get why people need more than 16gb of space though.. who the fuck listens to music on a tablet?

Aside from video stored on your device... doesn't icloud defeat that now?

I can see the value on a plane... but even then.. many flights have wifi.. and just prepare up some stuff prior to if your flight wont.

/shrug.. I use mine mostly for netflix when traveling/ meeting planning with notes if i dont want to dig out my laptop/web browsing.. and remote connection to my machine at home via interwebs or lan.

I figure if theres anything I really need... Remote into machine at home... push files to drop box.. access from ipad via dropbox..

I don't get why anyone would need a 3g/4g iPad..that's like paying for two data plans.

Who the fuck isn't on wifi at work and at home?

Doesn't wifi defeat that now?

/shrug...how watches TV on a friggin 10inch screen?

I figure if theres anything I really need...I just load it on my 64GB iPad. I can still get files from dropbox if I want to. Plus, using Onlive Desktop Plus I can edit files right on my iPad and I can leave my heavy ass laptop at home.

There was some study that a significant %age of people (something like 20-30%) said they'd rather watch video on their iPad rather than their big screen tv. Which I find absolutely mind bogglingly stupid and hard to believe.

You obviously don't have a real need for an iPad. You certainly never read full-page PDFs from technical journals on your iPad. Or even a magazine article. You should just stick with iPad 2. No, just get an iPad 1.

I don't get why anyone would need a 3g/4g iPad..that's like paying for two data plans.

I got a 3G ipad to use internet while not at work, or at home :p

And because I'm on 3G (data plan shared with phone plan), I dont even bother connecting to wifi. To me, believe it or not, the 3G is the most important feature, because why would anyone get an ipad if they can watch TV or use a full sized computer at home :p, mobility is key, but mobility + internet is an extra bonus. Each has their uses for a tablet.

There was some study that a significant %age of people (something like 20-30%) said they'd rather watch video on their iPad rather than their big screen tv. Which I find absolutely mind bogglingly stupid and hard to believe.

Oh shit. We agree!!!! :)

I have a great big TV and home theater. No way I'm watching anything on a dinky iPad 10-inch screen. Now, reading PDFs is a different matter entirely.

What I'm wondering about is will that extra resolution show up when I connect the iPad to a projector via VGA. I'm betting no.

Why? I can't carry my TV with me to the kitchen to watch while doing dishes. I prefer the big screen when I want to sit down, tune out and immerse myself fully in what I'm watching. In all other situations, a tablet lets me watch video while doing other things.

I got a 3G ipad to use internet while not at work, or at home :p

And because I'm on 3G (data plan shared with phone plan), I dont even bother connecting to wifi. To me, believe it or not, the 3G is the most important feature, because why would anyone get an ipad if they can watch TV or use a full sized computer at home :p, mobility is key, but mobility + internet is an extra bonus. Each has their uses for a tablet.

That's exactly the point I was making....I have good wifi at work and at home...I don't need 3G/4G. For me, If I'm at home sitting on the couch, I don't want to use a laptop...I'd rather use an iPad. I also lecture from an iPad. Way easier to use for most stuff than a laptop, though there are times when only a laptop will do (like when I want do show certain simulations via Matlab or other windows software, but that's not every time). I don't need to get why your needs are different than mine to understand that a 3G/4G iPad might be a better solution for YOU than me. The other poster seem to not get this idea.

Did anyone notice how the and previous iPads have similar size, weight, battery life.

Yet iPad 2 had a 25 watt-hour battery. The new one has a 42.5 one. Wow.

That's the price of Retina display + A5X + LTE I guess. But it's impressive that while the battery capacity (which already takes up the most space of the iPad 2) almost doubled, the size and weight increased only a little.

Why? I can't carry my TV with me to the kitchen to watch while doing dishes. I prefer the big screen when I want to sit down, tune out and immerse myself fully in what I'm watching. In all other situations, a tablet lets me watch video while doing other things.

Different strokes. I'd rather just get done watching dishes than to bring my $700 iPad near water so I can watch TV while doing dishes. I just get done, then go watch.

But when I travel, I do put movies on my 64GB iPad...which another poster didn't get. I even have music on mine....

A note about people questioning buying an iPad 3 with higher capacity: Anyone that uses Air Video or a similar application that allows transcoding your media to be copied to the iPad for offline viewing will now want a higher capacity iPad because of the fact that 1080p is now possible. The file sizes of these videos will grow quite a bit if you want to watch at full quality. My 32gb iPad 1 was overkill for lots of offline media since it was all relatively small at ~600p, but I think 32gb will come in handy now.

I only watch video on my TV if other people are around and want to watch too. My Touchpad is much more convenient than the TV if I am the only one watching. I understand if it's not your thing, but it's hardly stupid or unbelievable.

Surprised no one is talking about the "GPU 4X more powerful than the Tegra3." If it was this extremely powerful processor, then why wouldn't they be talking about it's exact specs? If not exact specs, how about a name of the GPU model? Sounds hokey to me. I am wondering if it's just the PS Vita's Power VR SGX543MP4. It would be more powerful than the 543mp2 in the ipad2 and it would make sense that they are still using the same manufacturer. If they had access to technology not currently used anywhere else, I think that would be a SELLING point. being vague is not unless it's for sensationalized claims.

Geez. Overreaction much.

While I would never get a full data plan on iPad and would mainly use it on Wifi, for myself I can see one very good use for Cell Data model.

Vacation and 1 month data plan. When I go on vacation I spend hundreds ( if not thousands) on travel/accommodations. Paying 30 dollars to have 1 month of data while traveling is nothing.

I don't have a smartphone either because I think they are too expensive for data, so I can't tether.

Also I am in Canada, if you use a Canadian plan traveling abroad, or even in the US, for data, you pay a fortune.

But fly into any country, sign up for one month local data plan and no worries.

So having a Cellular data model would be very handy for travel. Though I do balk at the price increment.

Not enough of a difference to justify buying an Ipad 3. My Ipad 2 looks great and is buttery smooth. Maybe I'll get a new Ipad when they make it thinner or something.

Not enough of a difference to justify buying an Ipad 3. My Ipad 2 looks great and is buttery smooth. Maybe I'll get a new Ipad when they make it thinner or something.

That's what I was thinking, except I sold my iPad2 around Christmas, so I ended up pre-ordering the new one instead of buying a used iPad2 again. I figure if nothing else, the resale value will be higher.

Geez. Overreaction much.

No more of an overreach than the post I replied to....people who have cell plans for phones can tether for a month of the same cost and avoid the extra fee for a 3G/4G model and then make good use of wifi and extra storage when not on vacation.

No more of an overreach than the post I replied to....people who have cell plans for phones can tether for a month of the same cost and avoid the extra fee for a 3G/4G model and then make good use of wifi and extra storage when not on vacation.

I don't see anything in the post your replied to saying he was getting a full time data plan, so not getting how this set off your Data model attack.

Also as I pointed out. I don't have a data plan to tether from. I think all full time data plans are a waste of money.

Tethering while traveling can cost you a fortune for international data roaming. Better to get a local plan anyway.

A data model means my annual data charges would be $30. How much is a year of cellular data.

I'm guessing the A5X uses SGX543MP4 like the PS Vita, which alone will make the A5X nearly 4x faster graphically than the Tegra 3.

However, I'm very skeptical about the claims of having a faster processor. The quad core Tegra 3 seems to hold its ground against the Qualcomm S4 based process, which share a lot of similarities to the cortex A15. I doubt Apple was able to implement A15 cores into the A5X hence the chip being called A5X instead of A6.

Just pre-ordered a 32gb Wifi (already have my phone for 4G tethering)... now wondering if I should change my order to a 64gb version...? :confused:

Surprised no one is talking about the "GPU 4X more powerful than the Tegra3." If it was this extremely powerful processor, then why wouldn't they be talking about it's exact specs? If not exact specs, how about a name of the GPU model? Sounds hokey to me. I am wondering if it's just the PS Vita's Power VR SGX543MP4. It would be more powerful than the 543mp2 in the ipad2 and it would make sense that they are still using the same manufacturer. If they had access to technology not currently used anywhere else, I think that would be a SELLING point. being vague is not unless it's for sensationalized claims.

They almost never release exact specs. But I'll say this much, I wouldn't be surprised. No one's really saying since there isn't any quad-core competition in the mobile segment yet, but the Tegras aren't all that great in a real world sense.

AT&T is allowing those of us who have the original unlimited data plan to switch it over to the new ipad.
YEAH. Unlimited 4G for thirty dollars a month!

Or, when I'm at the Bacardi Rum Bar at Charlotte airport, and there are no outlets, or working wi-fi, I might want to fire up the 4G on my iPad. Like I have to do every single time I'm there since they STILL haven't fixed the wi-fi in terminal D.

Tethering is great, except it tends to drain the phone's battery super duper fast.

I know it's a minor feature, but don't you need the 3g/4g model to get GPS on the iPad?

I know it's a minor feature, but don't you need the 3g/4g model to get GPS on the iPad?

That is one thing I never understood about tablets. Why do you need GPS on a tablet? I hope you are not using something that big as a GPS...

A few weeks back I was ready to order a iPad 3. After seeing the Krait CPU and what it can do I'm going to just hold out for the A15 CPUs to get out be it quad or dual core. I love all the new features of the new iPad, but my Touchpad can hold me over till the later part of the year without issue.

That is one thing I never understood about tablets. Why do you need GPS on a tablet? I hope you are not using something that big as a GPS...

I do :D, My ipad sits very comfortably in my car, angled and secure with the smart cover. Aside from the fact that it functions as an entertainment centre in the car (+ internet access), I use it as a supersized GPS. I personally dont like using GPS as it dumbs you out, but having a wide area of map displayed on google maps gives you some great context.

a tablet, IMO, would be a much better GPS and navigation device than a phone if not for the rediculous battery life and screen size alone (easier to see/read at a glance)

With apps like Tomtom that have the map database bundled with the software (no internet required), a tablet like the ipad would be ideal for a roadtrip.

Impressed as always with the hardware that apple makes in their mobile devices, I just with that iOS and iTunes didn't suck so much.

I was really hoping that they would at Keats preview a newer iOS that would look at good as ice cream sandwich.

I really feel caught in the middle, iOS is out of date, and so is much of the android tablet hardware. Can I just get a tablet with the power of the iPad 3, bu with the software of droid? Geez.

Impressed as always with the hardware that apple makes in their mobile devices, I just with that iOS and iTunes didn't suck so much.

I was really hoping that they would at Keats preview a newer iOS that would look at good as ice cream sandwich.

I really feel caught in the middle, iOS is out of date, and so is much of the android tablet hardware. Can I just get a tablet with the power of the iPad 3, bu with the software of droid? Geez.

iOS is a great mobile OS... it's efficient, powerful and fast. OOTB it's a little limited, but that's why most power users jailbreak/root their devices

go read text on iphone 3gs and compare it to iphone 4/4s
and tell me that resolution don't matter for reading

Yea, i would be interested in hearing from optometrist/opthamologists on this subject though. When i read stuff on my wife's 4, i can read web pages without even zooming in on them, which i would think causes some eye strain. Have to blow everything up considerably on the old 3gs. It feels like the stone age when i go back to it though.

Back