The Apple Bias Is Real

I've used Android phones since they were released and have always enjoyed them. At one point over the years, I had to use an iPhone for work. Had an older one for a few months and then got upgraded to the latest and greatest at the time. All I have to say about iPhone is MEH. When they were introduced they were the bomb, but they've been behind the curve for a while now. I'm not fond of Apple anyway and the iPhone did absolutely nothing to change my mind. I can live without the walled garden approach everyone is trying to move to, due to Apple's success. That's one reason I like Android and also the reason I'm moving to Linux rather than the latest Microsoft OS.

It's clear you are a Geek. Geek's will always prefer the fiddly nature of Android over the simple, just get it done nature of iOS.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

The Apple bias is obviously real and of course only the Verge would write an article that acknowledges and then basically states it is deserved.

Yes Apple has made some great device. Apple makes generally quality stuff. However, that doesn't give the press (and the tech press who is supposedly knowledgeable) a pass to write some of the stuff they do. They go along with Apple acting like they invented tech, never seem to admit have the bullshit Apple does, etc... They also vastly overstate the power of their devices. I can't count the number of articles that made is sound like the iPad Pro would destroy an intel i7 Surface pro 3.

I still have trouble paying top dollar for antiquated technology (mainly their computers). I suppose their phones are OK, I just wish the company was so intrusive and let their customers modify their technology to their own personal preferences. That's really the only thing holding me back from owning any kind of Apple product.

Hm, the macbook I had in it has broadwell and I bought it in the beginning of 2015. I know Skylake is (now) out, but I don't think Broadwell was old in Jan '15....

I'm going to take an excerpt from Android's commercial of "Be together, not the same" in my opinion Apple products are just another not the same, and we can all be together. People have preferences, they all essentially do the same thing. While I use Android I wish we could all just get along. Though I think this is a problem with humans in general at the moment, not just about smart phone preference, but people want to do this with everything. PS4 vs. XO. Ford vs. Chevy. Republican vs. Democrat. People are biased and everything is a pissing contest. People just can't enjoy what they like, they have to make sure the thing they don't like doesn't succeed.

I'm going to take an excerpt from Android's commercial of "Be together, not the same" in my opinion Apple products are just another not the same, and we can all be together. People have preferences, they all essentially do the same thing. While I use Android I wish we could all just get along. Though I think this is a problem with humans in general at the moment, not just about smart phone preference, but people want to do this with everything. PS4 vs. XO. Ford vs. Chevy. Republican vs. Democrat. People are biased and everything is a pissing contest. People just can't enjoy what they like, they have to make sure the thing they don't like doesn't succeed.

QFT

I really wish fan groups could just hang out and not bash the other for what they like. I have iphone and my friends are mixed. We hassle eachother out of fun but for the most part dont care what the other uses.

My issue with Apple devices is fairly simple ... they don't like playing well with others. When you buy into the entire ecosystem (iTunes, Mac, iPhone, iPad, etc) then the devices all play together fairly well. But, if you've got an iPhone, Android tablet, Windows Computer, and don't like iTunes then that Apple phone is really not going to play that well with the other devices. My Android phone can toss files back and forth with my Windows laptop very easily and quickly. My iPhone (from work)? Not so much. If I had a cord? Sure. But I'm not one of these people that carries cords around with him everywhere.

So, yes, if you buy into the entire Apple ecosystem then it works very well. If you don't then the one Apple device really does sit there like a spoiled child not wanting to let anyone near it.

Yes, Apple Bias is real, just like Android Bias is real. This is why we don't rely on a single source of information for anything. You go to a variety of sources, like Marques Brownlee and/or Pocketnow on Youtube, GSMArena, and even the [H] forums here, and form your own conclusion. That is how we've always countered bias.

"Transcendental", "transformative", and "aspirational" were all used in this article. Uh, ok, but we're just talking about a stupid phone here. The gist of this article is "Apple makes shittons of money on the iphone so we should always expect the iPhone is the best". No, we should remain skeptical about every product whether it be Android, Windows, or iOS because this is IT and even the best companies crank out bad products from time to time. This article is a sad attempt at justification for fanyboyism.

He also has the balls to defend proprietary charging ports with "just borrow one from your friend".

So, yes, if you buy into the entire Apple ecosystem then it works very well. If you don't then the one Apple device really does sit there like a spoiled child not wanting to let anyone near it.

This pretty much sums it up.

You can also add the Apple users that only have one device, or who never connect their Apple device to anything else. I know iPhone users who don't even know how to take a picture off their phone and put it on their computer. They go through and delete old pictures when they run out of space rather than backup and save the old pictures.

So much easier with Android to just plug the phone into my computer and copy and paste the pictures.
Android - it just works :)

This pretty much sums it up.

You can also add the Apple users that only have one device, or who never connect their Apple device to anything else. I know iPhone users who don't even know how to take a picture off their phone and put it on their computer. They go through and delete old pictures when they run out of space rather than backup and save the old pictures.

So much easier with Android to just plug the phone into my computer and copy and paste the pictures.
Android - it just works :)

It works the same on iphone, the part that doesnt is there is no reverse. I can cut/copy paste through folder view in windows explorer, I just cant put anything back onto the phone that way. Which does get annoying because I use my phone for work so I take a lot of photos and sometimes remove a home or personal photo and it becomes a pain to get it back on the phone lol

Do real men use Iphones?
I'm thinking not.

So you base your idea of what is manly on what phone I or others use? So, all those dudes in Iraq and Afghanistan fighting in the Army and Marines who use iPhones aren't real men?

Man, how high is that mountain you're perched upon?

The media might be a little biased since they often use Apple products for work so they are familiar with them and like them (and this is reflected in how the review them) ... users are not a cult (even the Apple ones) ... if something works and does what they want it to do at an acceptable price point then they will buy it, like it, and use it ... complaints about the Apple ecosystem or whether they lead the pack in features is somewhat academic since their products usually work (and this is reflected in sales and customer satisfaction)

That said, although I have product preferences (and it would take major shifts for me to change them) I do not feel my choices are either superior to others or inferior ... anything I buy does what I need it to do (or I wouldn't buy it) ... that is true whether it is an Intel processor, a Microsoft OS or productivity software suite, an NVidia video card, an Apple iPhone, or a Dell computer ... if one think that anything you purchase makes you superior or that one size truly fits all users then one might need to seek treatment for these delusional fantasies :D

Transcendental? When describing a phone? Hooo boy is right.
Does it grant me a greater understanding of the universe or something?

Prolly not, just some nut using a word they may not completely understand to describe a hunk of electronics.

Your holding it wrong.

I still have trouble paying top dollar for antiquated technology (mainly their computers). I suppose their phones are OK, I just wish the company was so intrusive and let their customers modify their technology to their own personal preferences. That's really the only thing holding me back from owning any kind of Apple product.

I've got a few friends that were all about Android and they used different roms fully unlocked them (though I believe that's harder now) and so on, and they switched when the 4 came out. One always jailbreaks it the other doesn't bother.

I gotta say that I have no issues with it. It's not perfect. It crashes sometimes, but the one thing that it does that my old MOTO Android device (which spontaneously rebooted all the time) is that when iOS reboots, your apps are still in the same state as they were when it crashed. The only reason i'm aware of the reboots is because I've seen it happen.

According to Forbes the iPhone has been steadily declining year over year since 2013 (42%, 2014 = 32.5%, May 2015 = 31%). iOS numbers also reflect this.

Not sure of the exact context, but that' interesting, since I believe each iPhone has outsold the previous model (and although i haven't found numbers specific to the U.S.
or N.A., I did find this worldwide graphic
global-apple-iphone-sales-since-fiscal-year-2007.jpg

My Android phone can toss files back and forth with my Windows laptop very easily and quickly. My iPhone (from work)? Not so much. If I had a cord? Sure. But I'm not one of these people that carries cords around with him everywhere.

Dropbox or Google Drive. Work on iPhone, Android, Windows, Linux, Mac, your web browser...

Not sure of the exact context, but that' interesting, since I believe each iPhone has outsold the previous model (and although i haven't found numbers specific to the U.S.
or N.A., I did find this worldwide graphic
global-apple-iphone-sales-since-fiscal-year-2007.jpg

There's no conflict between those two statements as you can have higher absolute sales but lose market share if total sales in the market grow faster.

That is a lot different I expected.

I was expecting somewhat similar profits from both App store and iPhone.

Thanks.

Apple is a HARDWARE company. They always have been. OSX exists to sell hardware. iOS exists to sell hardware.

Speaking as an ex-iPhone user I am so thrilled to be away from that walled garden. Android was superior to IOS at Lollipop and if you have been using the Android-M builds so far they push things over the top IMO. Would never go back to Apple.

And then lets talk iTunes app..... fiasco.

It's clear you are a Geek. Geek's will always prefer the fiddly nature of Android over the simple, just get it done nature of iOS.

A geek calling someone else a geek on a geek site is, well, just dorky.

I don't understand why people are so obsessed with Apple. Back in the Android 1.6 days then sure iPhone was much better but I've been using Android since 4.2 (Nexus 4) and it has been great.

I find most iPhone users are generally happy with their devices, without them being biased towards the device "because it's and iPhone." At a bare minimum, the users get a consistent experience across the whole ecosystem (and previous iPhones) and I think that goes a long way towards their satisfaction. The consistency makes it easy to grasp and understand the limitations while learning the "correct" way to do the thugs they can so. With Android, the playing field is all over the place and even when someone buys a new handset, it will often lack features that their previous or other handsets on the market have which can lead to grumbling.

You have to remember how Apple has spend billions in trying to make the iPhone as ubiquitous in terms of it's marketing as say Q-Tips (cotton swabs). It's not just a phone, it's a way of life and that's how Apple has presented this device. They've marketed it in such a way as to brand it as a lifestyle product, not just a utilitarian product. It's about it's fashion, it's style, it's colors, it's shape, user interface, user experience, call quality, app store selection, integration to other products within Apple and without, and hundreds of other attributes that Apple has tried to convey with this singular device. They've succeeded and pretty damned well. So that is where the bias lies.

Sure, other people can poo-poo Apple and it's products all day long, but that is a futile effort. Either produce a superior product and I mean superior in terms of being able to outshine all of those attributes, or end up like any other consumer products developer and hope that sufficient people will flock to it. Apple has already done the leg work and has spent the money, everyone else is a follower as far as they and their users are concerned and that level of smug you cannot put a price on it.

I don't understand why people are so obsessed with Apple. Back in the Android 1.6 days then sure iPhone was much better but I've been using Android since 4.2 (Nexus 4) and it has been great.

Read above what I said and you will see why. It's all been marketing, time to market, and first to market strategies that have generated the kind of following you see.

Speaking as an ex-iPhone user I am so thrilled to be away from that walled garden. Android was superior to IOS at Lollipop and if you have been using the Android-M builds so far they push things over the top IMO. Would never go back to Apple.

And then lets talk iTunes app..... fiasco.

I gotta say, I'm not sure why everyone complains about iTunes, but then I haven't even got it installed. Once Apple allowed OTA updates, the only reason to use iTunes, IMO, is to do a backup, which I may do at some point, but aside from that, I have no need for iTunes. I'd probably feel differently if I played music via Apple's player, but I have my own and I side load music through that app.

You have to remember how Apple has spend billions in trying to make the iPhone as ubiquitous in terms of it's marketing as say Q-Tips (cotton swabs). It's not just a phone, it's a way of life and that's how Apple has presented this device. They've marketed it in such a way as to brand it as a lifestyle product, not just a utilitarian product. It's about it's fashion, it's style, it's colors, it's shape, user interface, user experience, call quality, app store selection, integration to other products within Apple and without, and hundreds of other attributes that Apple has tried to convey with this singular device. They've succeeded and pretty damned well. So that is where the bias lies.

Sure, other people can poo-poo Apple and it's products all day long, but that is a futile effort. Either produce a superior product and I mean superior in terms of being able to outshine all of those attributes, or end up like any other consumer products developer and hope that sufficient people will flock to it. Apple has already done the leg work and has spent the money, everyone else is a follower as far as they and their users are concerned and that level of smug you cannot put a price on it.

That's part of it, I think, but I have to say that as someone who never sees apple commercials, I don't think that's why I use it. I resisted apple for ages, and probably wouldn't have gotten a device if I didn't get the first 2 at work for free, but I went from a 4s, briefly to a 5s and then to an s3 and I can promise you the s3 wasn't as good as either of those devices (but it did have a bigger screen, which was nice).

I actually think it's a much simpler issue: Apple has a user experience that it's users are used to and they don't want to change to Android. The same can be said about android users. It took me a few months when I first went to Apple to be sold. There were (and still are) settings that I think are a PITA to find, but I can't pretend that the settings in Android aren't more convoluted...but at that time, I knew where they were located.

The other thing I like about iPhones is that for reasons that allude me, they hold their value. I can sell my 6 for about what I paid for it back in February (which makes me want to sell it and buy anew one, but I suspect the price will drop after tomorrow.

I just want a phone that works. That's it. The ability to do all the things on a smartphone without having to mess around with it too much. iOS just makes sense to me and Android is just all sorts of backwards. The "If it ain't broke" mentality really explains it. I have no reason to change my workflow over to Android. None.

I have an android, and it's laggy.

do the upper end androids get laggy? I think the snapdragon chips are like AMD chips.... low ipc, lots of cores.

iphones have dual cores that can run as fast as octocore snapdragons. like Intel vs AMD

Wow. That's some TRULY fine Apple knob-slobbery there...

I have an android, and it's laggy.

do the upper end androids get laggy? I think the snapdragon chips are like AMD chips.... low ipc, lots of cores.

iphones have dual cores that can run as fast as octocore snapdragons. like Intel vs AMD

"an android" is not a type of phone. Try again.

To say it that way to say "I have a Windows and it's laggy."

Well, no shit, especially if you buy the equivalent of HP machines loaded up with crapware.

Android = OS

Windows = OS

HP = Manufacturer

LG / Samsung / HTC / etc... = Manufacturer.

Case in point. I have the LG Volt. It's a budget phone. Snapdragon 400. It's not laggy. It actually plays games -quite- well, too. Now, Boost does like to load up their phones with crap software... so like anyone who buys an HP should know to uninstall or format that sucker, you should do the same to "an android" if you don't a device not loaded up with bloatware like Nexuses.

If you don't get a device not loaded up with bloatware like Nexuses, rather.

I got the general impression that iPhones didn't have nearly the marketshare they used to. I used to see iPhones everywhere, now it's just as many Android as iPhone.

Not at the higher end of the market, which is where Apple plays. Android dominates overall because a lot of the phones are cheap. When it comes to the high end, Apple is still dominating the field vs Samsung and other high end Android phone manufacturers. Apple doesn't seem too concerned about selling $100 phones.

Not at the higher end of the market, which is where Apple plays. Android dominates overall because a lot of the phones are cheap. When it comes to the high end, Apple is still dominating the field vs Samsung and other high end Android phone manufacturers. Apple doesn't seem too concerned about selling $100 phones.

This is a perfect example of how Apple is so profitable by brainwashing your average Joe into thinking their overpriced low end Chinese made product is high end.

It's funny how the Apple haters are now the hipsters, since it's so hip to hate Apple these days. The hate is about as idiotic as the Apple fanboys ramblings were a couple of years ago.

It's funny how the Apple haters are now the hipsters, since it's so hip to hate Apple these days. The hate is about as idiotic as the Apple fanboys ramblings were a couple of years ago.

Nah. There's always been a lot of Apple hate. I still think their PCs are too much. The iMac is an exception. When they first came out with the 27" 1440p version, it was less than a 1440p monitor and the 5k iMac was the same or less than the 5k Dell.

The phone is what it is. Truth is that Samsungs latest S model is pretty damn expensive. Last time I checked, the difference between it and an iPhone (when it first comes out) is about $50 (give or take) more, so price complaints to ring true to me.

As I recall, however, the price of Android devices drops faster. That's good if you buy 9 months after it's released. The nice thing about Apple is that they hold their value longer (for reasons that allude me).

Back