The 32 inch 4k IPS 144hz's...(Update - this party is started) (wait for it...)

Yeah, not sure why DP1.4 + DSC turns people off who likely have never even used it. Your eyes can't even tell, it legit looks amazing and is "virtually lossless", mostly due to how the human eye sees motion and colors... its infinitely better than chroma sampling for those who have used that prior to DSC.
For me the main issue with DSC is how many problems Nvidia has with it. I don't know how it looks on the AMD side, but with Nvidia you have stuff like:
  • Nvidia Surround doesn't work at anything but non-DSC refresh rates.
  • DSR/DLDSR doesn't work.
  • Nvidia Image Scaling doesn't work.
  • Custom resolutions won't work without hacks.
  • You can have random black screens, though I think this was fixed sometime this year.
  • Due to ports having to share 4 internal "heads" (the engine that generates raster timings to be sent to a monitor), you get more limited on what displays can be connected when you have e.g a 4K 240 Hz display connected. I believe this is the issue why the Samsung 57" can't go above 8Kx2K @ 120 Hz on Nvidia GPUs even on HDMI 2.1, it might not be able to share more than two heads per port which is not enough bandwidth.
Most of these seem like solvable issues to me but Nvidia hasn't touched the surround and custom resolution functionality in years so I expect it's a low to no priority to them.

MacOS is also a bitch about DSC where capabilities can vary hugely depending on which Mac model/generation you are using. Often you get limited to e.g 120-144 Hz, but even then might have issues with scaling options and whether high refresh rate + HDR works at all.

• DSR/DLDSR doesn't work.
  • Nvidia Image Scaling doesn't work.
  • Custom resolutions won't work without hacks.
Works fine.
If it doesn't somewhere then it's a monitor issue, not Nvidia.

You can have random black screens, though I think this was fixed sometime this year.
This may happen if you have another high bandwidth (non-DSC) display connected so not exactly a DSC issue.

Due to ports having to share 4 internal "heads" (the engine that generates raster timings to be sent to a monitor), you get more limited on what displays can be connected when you have e.g a 4K 240 Hz display connected. I believe this is the issue why the Samsung 57" can't go above 8Kx2K @ 120 Hz on Nvidia GPUs even on HDMI 2.1, it might not be able to share more than two heads per port which is not enough bandwidth.
It's a monitor issue.

People are too quick to blame DSC for all the problems I'd say.

Works fine.
If it doesn't somewhere then it's a monitor issue, not Nvidia.
Nvidia themselves says these don't work in their support articles about DSC. This is what I've been seeing on my Samsung G70A 4K 144 Hz monitors with DP 1.4 and 40G HDMI 2.1 ports but I haven't checked if some recent driver has improved the situation. Dropping refresh rate to 4K 120 Hz gives access to these.

It's a monitor issue.
Yet AMD 7000 series can do 8Kx2K @ 240 Hz over both DP 2.1 and HDMI 2.1. Nvidia can't do it even over HDMI 2.1.

Reactions: Xar
like this
Nvidia themselves says these don't work in their support articles about DSC.
No idea what articles you are referring to but they work fine.

This is what I've been seeing on my Samsung G70A
Another monitor issue then. Samsung seem to be plagued by these, especially as they seem to not care about compatibility with Nvidia at all.

Nvidia themselves says these don't work in their support articles about DSC. This is what I've been seeing on my Samsung G70A 4K 144 Hz monitors with DP 1.4 and 40G HDMI 2.1 ports but I haven't checked if some recent driver has improved the situation. Dropping refresh rate to 4K 120 Hz gives access to these.

Yet AMD 7000 series can do 8Kx2K @ 240 Hz over both DP 2.1 and HDMI 2.1. Nvidia can't do it even over HDMI 2.1.

DSC and DLDSR do work together. I use it on my InnoCN 32M2V which runs 4K 144Hz 10bit 444 DSC. Here's proof.

Attachments

• IMG_0842.jpeg
    IMG_0842.jpeg
    535.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
DSC and DLDSR do work together. I use it on my InnoCN 32M2V which runs 4K 144Hz 10bit 444 DSC. Here's proof.
So weirdly it can also be based on monitor I guess then. But your pic actually shows another stupid problem with DSR - it's DSR or custom resolutions but not both without using e.g SRE to edit the "standard" resolutions list outside Nvidia CP and drivers. There doesn't seem to be any actual functional issue with DSR + custom resolutions.

So weirdly it can also be based on monitor I guess then. But your pic actually shows another stupid problem with DSR - it's DSR or custom resolutions but not both without using e.g SRE to edit the "standard" resolutions list outside Nvidia CP and drivers. There doesn't seem to be any actual functional issue with DSR + custom resolutions.

Why would you even want to use Custom Res + DSR though? At least on a 32" display like this. I know on the big OLED TVs people would like to have custom resolution of 3840x1600 ultrawide and leave black bars on the top+bottom, but they do so mainly for performance reasons, not for "ultrawide immersion" or whatever so using 3840x1600 custom resolution and then DSR'ing it to an even higher resolution than native 4K sounds like a bad idea. If you want to get some weird input/output resolution out of DLDSR then there's always DLSSTweaks to modify the internal resolution to any % you desire.

Why would you even want to use Custom Res + DSR though? At least on a 32" display like this. I know on the big OLED TVs people would like to have custom resolution of 3840x1600 ultrawide and leave black bars on the top+bottom, but they do so mainly for performance reasons, not for "ultrawide immersion" or whatever so using 3840x1600 custom resolution and then DSR'ing it to an even higher resolution than native 4K sounds like a bad idea. If you want to get some weird input/output resolution out of DLDSR then there's always DLSSTweaks to modify the internal resolution to any % you desire.
No I wouldn't want it on a 32". I'm just saying that it's something that should work out of the box but doesn't without jumping through hoops.

No I wouldn't want it on a 32". I'm just saying that it's something that should work out of the box but doesn't without jumping through hoops.

I guess but yeah you have options to get around that but the point is that DSC + DSR does indeed work, if it doesn't then it's the monitor.

It's great to see these dream monitors finally arriving. Problem for me is I've gotten used to 55"/65" screens for 4k gaming since early 2020. When you dial in the perfect viewing distance the big screen immersion factor is incredible.

I'm not sure I can go back to a 32". But that 240Hz. Damn that sounds sexy.

It's great to see these dream monitors finally arriving. Problem for me is I've gotten used to 55"/65" screens for 4k gaming since early 2020. When you dial in the perfect viewing distance the big screen immersion factor is incredible.

Being I sit 1.5~2' from my 32" monitor, it's pretty damn immersive... lol :ROFLMAO:

Most of these monitors are still only True Black 400. The HP Omen sounds most promising, supporting 1000 nits, but because it's a Samsung panel it still may only be able to meet the True Black 400 standard.

Being I sit 1.5~2' from my 32" monitor, it's pretty damn immersive... lol :ROFLMAO:

I noticed a difference in "immersion factor" just going from 55" to 65". But I know this is a subjective, personal preference thing. I do plan on getting one of these monitors regardless, for some online games I play where my rig could push ~240 FPS. And I will happily change my opinion if I end up preferring it over the TV, even in titles where I can't exceed 144 FPS.

Am considering dropping down from a 42 inch LG C2 to one of these 240hz 32" monitors. Does a curved screen even make a big difference at 32"? I'll probably end up choosing Dell's AW3225QF over Asus PG32UCDM due to Asus' awful RMA service track record.

A curved screen is completely unnecessary on a 32" 16:9 OLED IMO. It may be somewhat useful on a VA maybe but not on OLED.

It's a very small curve so you're probably fine, unlike the crazy 1000R curve on Samsung's earlier monitors... Way too curved for me. I would need to see it in person, but from what I can tell it's a small enough curve it shouldn't be a big deal. It's a tempting monitor and I didn't see myself ever going OLED but that seems to be the way the industry is moving this year anyway lol.

The AORUS FO lineup includes two monitors, the FO32U2P and the FO48U, both OLED gaming monitors with 3840x2160 UHD resolution. The FO32U2P offers 240 Hz refresh rate with 10-bit color panel and 99% DCI-P3, and it is also AMD FreeSync Premium certified. In addition to the single DisplayPort 2.1 and one mini DisplayPort 2.1 input, it also has a full-size DisplayPort 2.1 output, which gives it support to daisy chain multiple monitors, which might be useful in some situations.
https://www.techpowerup.com/317572/...w-aorus-fo48u-and-co49dq-oled-gaming-monitors

Another QD-OLED 32"er.
Seem to be the first with full speed 80Gbps/UHBR20 DP 2.1 input.

Last edited:
Awesome...looks like a whole bunch of companies ate up that new 32" 4K QDOLED panel. Hopefully that means a lot easier availability than the Dell fiasco in early 2022.
I mean I imagine it'll still be somewhat tight stock initially since so many people are so excited for it, but it should clear up in a reasonable time frame.

https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/gigabyte-announce-range-of-new-aorus-oled-gaming-monitors-at-ces-2024

That's interesting, seems like we'll get two 32" QD-OLEDs with the exact same panel and features different only in DP version - and presumably the use of DSC for connection.
I would imagine even the UHBR20 model will include DSC support since plenty of GPUs don't support that, and even for ones that do if you have a cable that can't handle DP80 (and many can't) they'll have to fall back to a lower speed.

Seem to be the first with full speed 80Gbps/UHBR20 DP 2.1 input.
This is particularly interesting because "it also has a full-size DisplayPort 2.1 output, which gives it support to daisy chain multiple monitors". If it really supports 80Gbps, then that's enough to daisy-chain another high-refresh-rate monitor, albeit falling back to DSC again. That would allow for tidier cabling.

I think this is the first monitor I've seen that supports DP daisy-chaining, even though it has been talked about since DP was first released a long time ago. Up until now you had to use a hub to connect more than one monitor to a single DP port.

I would imagine even the UHBR20 model will include DSC support since plenty of GPUs don't support that, and even for ones that do if you have a cable that can't handle DP80 (and many can't) they'll have to fall back to a lower speed.
Sure, DP 2.1 is fully backwards compatible with all previous DP versions so if you'll use the monitor with a DP 1.4 source you'll get the usual DP 1.4+DSC connection on its DP 2.1 input.
Still this is the first time like ever where we would be able to directly compare the same output modes with and without DSC on the exact same panel - when we'll get GPUs with UHBR20 output at least.

Which one do you think will be the top of the heap for these 32" OLEDs, and why?

MAYBE Gigabyte since they are the only ones who confirmed DP 2.1 UHBR20 so that separates them from the rest, also it's glossy and flat. But then again, their previous monitors have had firmware issues so who knows how the QD OLED will turn out. HP also looks good being glossy + flat + DP2.1 but unknown bandwidth.

like this
MAYBE Gigabyte since they are the only ones who confirmed DP 2.1 UHBR20 so that separates them from the rest, also it's glossy and flat. But then again, their previous monitors have had firmware issues so who knows how the QD OLED will turn out. HP also looks good being glossy + flat + DP2.1 but unknown bandwidth.
For me the 4K 240 Hz + 1080p 480 Hz on the LG panels sounds like much more useful functionality. Those also support 120 Hz BFI (but no 240 Hz unfortunately) which is useful.

DP 2.1 UBHR20 support is IMO not particularly relevant. Nvidia would be better off just putting more effort into fixing all their problems with DSC handling so it doesn't interfere with their other features or cause problems. Then DSC use becomes a non-issue.

TFTCentral just released a great article on the pros and cons of DP 2.1 support: https://tftcentral.co.uk/articles/when-is-displayport-2-1-going-to-be-used-on-monitors

I might wait until next year for 5120x2160 models though.

like this
Which one do you think will be the top of the heap for these 32" OLEDs, and why?
Personally, it's between the HP and the LG. The HP has Dolby Vision, but the LG has the dual mode which is probably overall more useful to me since I already have a C3. If the HP has a glossy/semi-glossy coating then that is a no-brainer.

For me the 4K 240 Hz + 1080p 480 Hz on the LG panels sounds like much more useful functionality. Those also support 120 Hz BFI (but no 240 Hz unfortunately) which is useful.

DP 2.1 UBHR20 support is IMO not particularly relevant. Nvidia would be better off just putting more effort into fixing all their problems with DSC handling so it doesn't interfere with their other features or cause problems. Then DSC use becomes a non-issue.

TFTCentral just released a great article on the pros and cons of DP 2.1 support: https://tftcentral.co.uk/articles/when-is-displayport-2-1-going-to-be-used-on-monitors

I might wait until next year for 5120x2160 models though.

That's the thing....nvidia is never gonna fix their DSC issues lol. Which means having a monitor that won't require DSC when the right GPU comes along will probably be the best solution.

Personally, it's between the HP and the LG. The HP has Dolby Vision, but the LG has the dual mode which is probably overall more useful to me since I already have a C3. If the HP has a glossy/semi-glossy coating then that is a no-brainer.

HP is glossy :) as much as I would like to wait for the HP to release, they have given us no pricing or release date which means it probably isn't coming soon and will be more expensive than the competition, and seeing that MSI release next month I think I'll just go for that instead and return it if it ends up having huge issues.

Looks like the AW3225QF has a fan :(
Hopefully some of the other manufacturers won't have one.
You need to keep the monitor cool to slow the wear of the OLEDs. I don't know if we've had any testing to see if active cooling is any better than passive cooling, though.

You need to keep the monitor cool to slow the wear of the OLEDs. I don't know if we've had any testing to see if active cooling is any better than passive cooling, though.
It's something I think we are going to have to get used to for HDR monitors. More brightness means more power mean more heat. As we push peak brightness more and more, this is just going to be more true. For TVs, maybe they are big enough to have large passive heatinks, but I think for monitors we just have to accept fans, just like we do for our PCs themselves. I don't love it, but I don't see an alternative.

Back