Temps for Propus

Hello Folks!

Recently, I've built an Athlon 2 X4 640 HTPC and this is my first AMD rig since the mighty Manchester core so, please allow this n00b to ask the following:

Using HWmonitor, my idle temps are hover between 11C and 12C and @ load 23C-26C.

Do these temps seem right to you? Perhaps I need to return the motherboard?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

damit, nvm tinyurl is blocked now...

now if your too lazy, those sound low, but it depends on ambient and what not, need more info than just that....what case, what airflow, what ambient temps

Last edited:
Those temperatures are too low unless you are using a waterblock and a radiator outside of the case and into the soffit outside your home during winter, or are being misreported or misread by that program.

Have you tried Core Temp to see what it shows? With a stock cooler and a room around 72 F your cpu should be sitting idle at upper 40s low 50s C

11C is 52F. Unless your room is ice cold, I'd say something's up. Try a different program like Core Temp. If that gives you the same reading, look at the CPU, ,not the core temp, on HWmonitor. The CPU temp is measured at the socket and is less accurate, so it's generally 6-10 degrees higher than the actual temp.

11C is 52F. Unless your room is ice cold, I'd say something's up. Try a different program like Core Temp. If that gives you the same reading, look at the CPU, ,not the core temp, on HWmonitor. The CPU temp is measured at the socket and is less accurate, so it's generally 6-10 degrees higher than the actual temp.

the CPU temp reading your refering to doesnt matter, its the core temp that does(yes i know it matters, but not that much in the scheme of everything)

I think there's something wrong with the temp sensors with the MB.

So, I installed CoreTemp last night and left the PC on idle overnight. The temps were in the range of 17C and 19C. I don't know what the load temps are but, these seem really low...abnormally low.

I'm running this system in a CM Elite 360 case with an old HD3870 (barely got the card installed due to size) with x3 80mm, x2 120mm. I have an after market cooler (AC Freezer 64 LP w/ OCZ Freeze). My ambient temps are about 65F to 70F.

Hard to find a reliable program for temps it seems. Perhaps, I will try Everest.

Thank you all for your input...very much appreciated!

looks like the bios are screwing up the sensors or the diode sensor is fuxored which isnt uncommon with a lot of low end AMD processors that are near the end of a generation cycle.

check the temp on the cpu socket. typically when the cpu sensors screwed up the cpu socket sensor should still work. it wont be accurate but at least you know the temp. typically its 10C higher then the actual core temp.

Lowest I have hit with the Athlon II X4 620 (OC'd to 3.2) was 18C during the winter. Your temps seem incredibly low to me.

Lowest I have hit with the Athlon II X4 620 (OC'd to 3.2) was 18C during the winter. Your temps seem incredibly low to me.

the temps are wrong on his setup. i had the same think with my athlon x2 BE-2350 when it was stock idle was 1C 1 core loaded was 6C full load was 12C. when i overclocked it the temps changed to 6C idle 10C 1 core 14C full load. the actual temps when overclocked were 35C idle 40C 1 core 50C 2 cores i only knew this because i had one of the few boards that didnt have the stupid 10C offset on the cpu socket sensor. but its usually caused by the diode sensor not being programed correctly.

Back