Telco guys....wiring RJ11 lines into modular receptacles (RJ45)

O2Flow

Limp Gawd
ok so here is the issue. I recently networked an office and installed a few CAT5 drops. I would like to use the existing holes in the wall to facilitate both the drops and a couple RJ11 jacks. I already got 4 plug faceplates for this but I am somewhat clueless as how to wire a RJ-11 line to a modular receptacle? He has more than one phone line, so can you wire more than one phone line to an RJ-11 jack? (I need to know if this is how it was setup).

I know you can use pins 2 and 3 on a RJ-11 plug and wire them to 4 and 5 on the RJ-45 jack. He says he has 6 phone lines but I am unsure how to do this...any help would be appreciated!

Cliffs:

1. I need to know how to determine the # of phone lines in a RJ-11 wall jack
2. Subsequently, how do I wire more than one line to a RJ-45 wall jack
3. any diagrams would be much appreciated!

O2Flow said:
Cliffs:

1. I need to know how to determine the # of phone lines in a RJ-11 wall jack
2. Subsequently, how do I wire more than one line to a RJ-45 wall jack
3. any diagrams would be much appreciated!

1. RJ-11 = 2 lines max
2. I'll have to lookup my info for you on that
3. see above

Does this guy have a PBX or does he actually have 6 individual phone lines? It's very important to know this distinction before doing any wiring.

SJConsultant said:
1. RJ-11 = 2 lines max
2. I'll have to lookup my info for you on that
3. see above

Does this guy have a PBX or does he actually have 6 individual phone lines? It's very important to know this distinction before doing any wiring.

6 individual lines

Most keystone jacks for voice are 6 pin. You can get 3 lines on each, you would then need 6 conductor line cords. Or if he needs each line on a separate jack, just punch down each pair on the white/blue pair on each jack.
On an RJ45 jack, line 1 would be blue/white pair, line 2 green/white pair, for line 3 and 4 you have to split pairs. line 3 would be white/orange and brown wires; line 4 would be orange and brown/white wires.
Hope this makes sense.

original jack looks like this

rj11.gif

OK:
Pair 1-line 1
Pair 2-line 2
Pair 3-line 3
Pair 4-not used
Pair 1 terminates to the white/blue pair on the jack
Pair 2 terminates to the white/green pair on the jack
Pair 3 terminates on the white/orange and brown wires (pairs have to be split)
This assumes that you are using T568B wiring and patch panels.
If you are using T568A, then switch the white/green pair and the orange wire.
Hope this helps!
Jeff

if not used for ethernet, best to use pairs of the same color so you don't hear another line on your current line

Back