Target joins Best Buy and discontinues sales of DVD's and Blurays

Good. It'll funnel the remaining demand to specialty companies like Arrow and Kino Lorber, as well as sites like DeepDiscount and, lately, Gruv.
Fuck that, anyone who knows their salt are going to be making a killing in the flipping market. Not my jam flipping, but I see the potential $$$ in this now ESPECIALLY in more rural areas where it's a tech and entertainment desert.

I sit here ironically reading this thread as I clean a copy of Back to the Future in 4k to rip to my plex library. All while cotemplating buying a new pioneer drive that will handle 3 layer discs better and know the death of media is due to the convenience of streaming. Even 50 years ago there were people who didn't have record players and only had radios. Media isn't king, convenience is and it takes steps and effort to have and use media beyond that what is requires for streaming.

And I don't know why, but switching discs in the middle of a movie (looking at you lord of the rings) takes a lot more out of an experience than flipping my vinyl.

lol, I remember when I was my Dads remote for our B&W tv. That really ruined the experience!

With any luck the pendulum will swing the other way, young people will figure out what it means to rent everything. Fortunately most of the movies/shows they make today are complete shit. The ones that aren't usually make it to BD, can't wait for Shogun. Also, lots of the old stuff gets remastered but with limited production, then you have to deal with scalpers running prices through the roof, fuckers. Check out https://www.blu-ray.com/ and https://www.dvdtalk.com/
Shogun is awesome. Check out Gentlemen if you haven't already. Reacher kicks ass also.

DVD wasn't a fad though. It's been around since 1997 and still marches on to this day. If you think a product that's lasted over 27 years to be a fad, I wonder what you call products that lasted for less than 10 years. Your scale of time is all off.
Never said it was a fad. This thread is about its life slowly dying and once its gone to novelty status. My point is, I don't see it having a following like vinyl does. DVD's still fill the void for the less fortunate, slow internet connected and military families of the world. The cassette tape was around for over 25 years (in stereo), VHS over 30, no way anyone still wants those now. As the last physical media deliverable though, I suspect DVD/BR will hang on for some time. After all, CD sales actually went up during Covid. I'm not trying to compare DVD/BR to things like Laser disk, HD DVD, MP3 players like Zune and such that had a short life span. Vinyl has been around since the late 40's.

In the end, just another nail in the coffin for Best Buy, used music/movies shops and etc.

Never said it was a fad. This thread is about its life slowly dying and once its gone to novelty status. My point is, I don't see it having a following like vinyl does. DVD's still fill the void for the less fortunate, slow internet connected and military families of the world. The cassette tape was around for over 25 years (in stereo), VHS over 30, no way anyone still wants those now. As the last physical media deliverable though, I suspect DVD/BR will hang on for some time. After all, CD sales actually went up during Covid. I'm not trying to compare DVD/BR to things like Laser disk, HD DVD, MP3 players like Zune and such that had a short life span. Vinyl has been around since the late 40's.

In the end, just another nail in the coffin for Best Buy, used music/movies shops and etc.

The majority of the article is behind a paywall, but more than 400,000 new cassettes were sold in the U.S. in 2023, down just a fraction of a percent from 2022. And I seem to recall they have also been making a comeback in Japan recently as well. Very niche, just like new vinyl sales, but there is a small market out there for it still.

https://www.billboard.com/pro/taylor-swift-guardians-of-the-galaxy-cassette-sales-2023/

Good points made on both sides.
I myself like physical media. My only internet option is Comcast and they're down occasionally (lol) so it's nice to have some physical media laying around to pop on and watch.

I think that physical disc may be making a comeback. Oppenheimer is only one, but a prime example. It was out of stock everywhere for MONTHS.

The majority of the article is behind a paywall, but more than 400,000 new cassettes were sold in the U.S. in 2023, down just a fraction of a percent from 2022. And I seem to recall they have also been making a comeback in Japan recently as well. Very niche, just like new vinyl sales, but there is a small market out there for it still.

https://www.billboard.com/pro/taylor-swift-guardians-of-the-galaxy-cassette-sales-2023/
holy crap... I didn't realize you could even still buy tape decks. But Amazon is loaded with them!

I think that physical disc may be making a comeback. Oppenheimer is only one, but a prime example. It was out of stock everywhere for MONTHS.
That is such an underwhelming movie to have on Blu-ray. Almost nothing happens, especially during the big 'bomb" reveal, which they barely even show. It's mostly 3 hours of people talking.

That is such an underwhelming movie to have on Blu-ray. Almost nothing happens, especially during the big 'bomb" reveal, which they barely even show. It's mostly 3 hours of people talking.

Indeed. I have a pretty good home theater sound system, dual 12" subs for effect. Very underwhelming.

You said, and I quote: "DVD/BR is a dying fad like cassettes.".

You absolutely did say that. Please don't lie.

I do agree that subscription services and DRM rentals limit your access to movies in some ways, but they're realistically great for the way many people actually watch.
Tbh there's nothing to argue really about convenience. Everyone can agree that in a perfect world it'd be great to have both convenience and the best quality films. It's possible to at least rip them for greater convenience but even so that's for those who do prioritize quality as a foremost metric.

There's also an issue even for online services where the customer "outright" buys films/series. There was a case where Amazon deleted paid content from a user's library due to Amazon no longer having the licence for a series, while Sony removed 1300 seasons of shows from Playstation libraries last year and also with their Funmation merger.

Content can at any point be remotely wiped from libraries when it's based in and DRM'd via the cloud. With subscription-based services it's all a wash since users already accept it's a buffet if OTOH a user has paid for a library and it gets wiped it'd certainly be frustrating vs non-volatile offline copies.

ITT I was glad to hear Sony upped their streaming quality for a new Bravia service but at the same time it's subscription based and unless someone finds a way to circumvent the DRM any releases are sadly effectively ephemeral. As someone with an archival bent it's a sticking point.

believe it or not, vhs suprisingly has a following. i guess there are a lot of movies that were on vhs that were never released on dvd. or something like that. but if you're in to vinyl then you must understand the collector aspect and want to be able to consume your favorite media in the best quality available? i mean, trust me i take full advantage of the modern times and unlike back in the 90's - 00's, i only pick up titles i know i really like. music and movies.

i guess there are a lot of movies that were on vhs that were never released on dvd.
VHS unlike DVD was a completely open format to use, free of license, the amount of different VHS was giant vs DVD I think, like casette having a following now, the analogue aspect could help, it is impossible to have the exact same experience without the medium.

Last edited:
DVD amazon

You and me both, I love that movie. I would pay good money for a blu ray.
Supposedly theres a 1080p/4k fan-scan of a 35mm print that is available for $25 online.......the problem is the clips show it completely unrestored, and the print is...well, it's as good as the last 'best example' of the film that I saw, which I believe was a widescreen (but not anamorphic) shown on HDNET back in like 2005, 2006-ish, but I think that was just a cleaned-up rip of the laserdisc.
Long story short, nobody is ever remastering this and cleaning it up, Michael Mann is embarrassed by it and Tangerine Dream makes the soundtrack a pain in the ass to license so..............time to just re-read the book :)

Meanwhile...you want THE LAST CHASE with Lee Majors and Burgess Merideth? Available on disc. You want Robert Urich in Endangered Species?? Available. The Keep? Nope.

PRIME had it for streaming a year or three ago (Probably more like 5 or 6 with my memory these days) but it was like the copy of Day of the Triffids they occasionally stream, it's an almost unwatchable print, looks like a VHS scan for KEEP and a Public Domain VHS Library Scan of Triffids......

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You said, and I quote: "DVD/BR is a dying fad like cassettes.".

You absolutely did say that. Please don't lie.
I fully admit my error. I didn't say the right word with my intended meaning. I should have said dying medium or something similar hence my argument previous.

Thanks for keeping me honest and calling out my fail. Seriously.

I wish the new dune movie would pronounce the names correctly, that really gets on my nerves.
I assume you're taking correct pronounciation from the books on tape Frank Herbert recorded in the before times. Not from anywhere else...

I buy alot of blu rays for my Plex server. Amazon is my go to but would also go to Best Buy until they stopped selling disks. Target was also great for bargin bin movies but now there is no reason for me to shop at Target as almost every other store has been selections

I prefer blu rays still with the great video quality, decent UI for Plex, content doesn't disappear because content rights were loss... I still keep Netflix for stuff I don't have but downgraded my plan.

Also when my internet goes out I still have movies and TV shows to watch.

I recently bought The Abyss and True Lies on 4K disc. I don’t know if I will even open them. I downloaded a copy from torrents so I could use as I wanted. Mostly just wanted to support the artist. No regrets.

I recently bought The Abyss and True Lies on 4K disc. I don’t know if I will even open them. I downloaded a copy from torrents so I could use as I wanted. Mostly just wanted to support the artist. No regrets.

True Lies, amazing movie. One of my childhood favorites! Same for The Abyss. I don't think I've watched The Abyss in 20 years.

What movies are worth collecting anyway? Seriously give me your top 10. I can't think of a movie I NEED TO HAVE!!!! Aren't all movies a couple bucks away on most streaming services or networks? How many times are you going to watch the same movie anyway? Lol

What movies are worth collecting anyway? Seriously give me your top 10. I can't think of a movie I NEED TO HAVE!!!! Aren't all movies a couple bucks away on most streaming services or networks? How many times are you going to watch the same movie anyway? Lol

Dune (bought it on DVD, Blu-Ray, and a 4k from germany is on order; and I've got the 4k of the new one; I might have a problem), Logan's Run (dvd and blu-ray, not gonna get the 4k, cause you can see too much of the effects on the blu-ray already). Some of the Star Trek movies...

Happy to have some tv shows on disc. I avoided buying some because they were on streaming, and now I can't watch MacGuyver without using an ad-based stream, and I hate how bad all those are. How hard is it to insert ads at the commercial breaks that are already there? Apparently too hard, because the new breaks are always 3 seconds off. Ugh.

I assume you're taking correct pronounciation from the books on tape Frank Herbert recorded in the before times. Not from anywhere else...

The new Dune movie pronounces them correctly, I think they sound blahh. I liked the original Dune movie's pronunciation better.

The new Dune movie pronounces them correctly, I think they sound blahh. I liked the original Dune movie's pronunciation better.
OK, that's fair (and I probably agree with you!), but it's important to note that you're not really asking for correct then :p

Well that depends.
Do you have a nice TV, a quality player, and something more than a sound bar?
Xbox and PS5 do not output Dolby Vision for movies, only games

Detroit Rock City BR - You'll have to import from Japan now, OOP in US. Fun movie with a killer soundtrack.

Edge of Tomorrow Blu-ray - They reduced the bass/LFE track in the 4k release because people were blowing up their shitty sound bars. Find an older used BR copy at Half Priced Books or similar. Verify the date on packaging is close to original release, unsure if later BR releases had the audio gimped.

Ready Player One 4k- Great movie and a beast of an A/V demo.

Black Hawk Down 4k - Great movie and has some great infrasonic bass

Fury 4k - Amazing movie and the sound is incredible.

Interstellar 4k - One of my favorite movies. Some really great LFE as well. Amazing score.

Bladrunner 2049 4k - An absolute must.

Just a few there to get you started.

There is noticeable losses on streaming, even the best streaming services. Audio is compressed, LFE doesn't dig as deep, video compression destroys the images. It's extremely noticeable swapping from disc to streaming and back.
I'll rent a movie in occasion to see if I want it. Otherwise, I buy 4k discs. They are usually 25 and under, and I have no problem buying them used from Amazon or Half Priced Books for $15 or under when available.

What movies are worth collecting anyway?

Every Thanksgiving and X-Mas break my family has played National Lampoons Christmas Vacation and Plains Trains and Automobiles on repeat, I have literally seen these movies hundreds of times.

Other Movies I've seen at min 10 times:

The Time Machine (1960 version)
Forbidden Planet
T2
Aliens
Grown Ups 2
The Naked Gun
Airplane
Beerfest
Up In Smoke
The Dark Crystal
Django
Ernest Saves Christmas (Also a Xmas family Fav)

Probably a dozen more if I thought about it.

Every Thanksgiving and X-Mas break my family has played National Lampoons Christmas Vacation and Plains Trains and Automobiles on repeat, I have literally seen these movies hundreds of times.

Other Movies I've seen at min 10 times:

The Time Machine (1960 version)
Forbidden Planet
T2
Aliens
Grown Ups 2
The Naked Gun
Airplane
Beerfest
Up In Smoke
The Dark Crystal
Django
Ernest Saves Christmas (Also a Xmas family Fav)

Probably a dozen more if I thought about it.

Beerfest is a classic!

True Lies, amazing movie. One of my childhood favorites! Same for The Abyss. I don't think I've watched The Abyss in 20 years.
careful which version of the abyss you watch. they changed the ending and a lot of people don't like it.
some people want to be able to watch the films in the best visual AND audio quality without having to rely on the internet or what content they have licensed this month.

plus some people have home theatres that give a real movie theatre a run for their money and when you look at what you spend to go to take a family to the theatre or even a couple of friends, when you buy a used disc for $10 or even buying one new is basically the same price as 1 movie ticket these days and now you own it for life. so when you look at it like that you're actually coming out ahead.

plus some people have home theatres that give a real movie theatre a run for their money and when you look at what you spend to go to take a family to the theatre or even a couple of friends, when you buy a used disc for $10 or even buying one new is basically the same price as 1 movie ticket these days and now you own it for life. so when you look at it like that you're actually coming out ahead.

No kidding, went to see Dune 2 in the theater. Small Soda, Small Popcorn, and candy - $23. I mean damn.

THX1138
Outland
Blade Runner 1 and 2
2001 Space Odyssey
Close Encounters of the third kind
Alien
Dragon Slayer
Excalibur
They Live

No kidding, went to see Dune 2 in the theater. Small Soda, Small Popcorn, and candy - $23. I mean damn.
that seems cheap. i think around here if you go during non-matinee and get tickets to the imax or dolby showings the tickets alone are close to $20, then the drinks and snacks are ~$5+ each

I still love making mixed tapes from vinyl.
20240102_130456(2).jpg

8ClsuIk.jpg

Back