Tablet advice

shoota

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys my family and I are going on a 3 week vacation to New Zealand and we're packing super light (read: one backpack per person). I'd like to get a tablet for entertainment on the long flight to and from and maybe to listen to some music and reading while relaxing. Until now I've never had a reason for a tablet and honestly had no desire to own one. So now I'm not sure what would fit the bill the best. I'm thinking Kindle Fire because it's smaller and I can find them already rooted with a custom rom which I like and they're probably the cheapest good tablet out right now. But I have to admit I'm a little worried that there are SO many used ones for sale. Anyway I'd love to hear what you guys have to say about my tablet situation.

I take it you're looking for something in the 7" size? Nothing wrong with the Kindle, but if you want a more full featured tablet and don't need all of the apps you get with Android, I'd give a good look at the Blackberry Playbook for $199.

I think I'd like to stick with android because I'm familiar with it and I'd like to have access to amazon's book store.

Does anyone know how to check a Fire's warranty status? Googling isn't helping. I would have thought you just put in the serial number on Amazon's website like you can with other products but I guess not.

Nevermind, I found that you have to register it to your account first.
Will the books and music i need on the Fire be available if I don't have internet access? I'm not sure how the Fire's storage works.

You should be able to download the books onto the device or it'll auto download it for you when you're connected. I know on the Kindle app it'll auto download the books once you're connected. Haven't used a Fire for a long time so I'm not exactly sure.

You should be able to download the books onto the device or it'll auto download it for you when you're connected. I know on the Kindle app it'll auto download the books once you're connected. Haven't used a Fire for a long time so I'm not exactly sure.

I think you are correct, I found some info on the net that said the same thing. There is a little over 6gb of space available for storage. Not much but a couple books, movies, music and apps should fit. Nothing too crazy.

Alright just picked it up. Typing this from it and I have to say my initial impressions are good. The good reviews are well deserved.

If you have a rooted android phone you can solve the problem of it being wifi only by installing wifi tether on your phone.

I use it to tether my fire to my phone for anytime internet access

If you have a rooted android phone you can solve the problem of it being wifi only by installing wifi tether on your phone.

I use it to tether my fire to my phone for anytime internet access

I do have a rooted Android phone, would you mind expounding on that info a little?

depending on the phone you can set it up as a wifi access point, either nativley or with apps, basically you make your phone into a router

I understand tethering. I have Verizon, I thought they could figure out if you had tethering enabled somehow..

not sure, i'm on T-Mo, no tether plan, but i do it every once and a while through the native part....

Back