Swapping storage HDD for laptop HDD

RaiseR RoofeR

Limp Gawd
My Vista x64 laptop recently completely crapped out on me, however there's some important information on there that I'm trying to get out of its hard drive.

I extracted the laptop hard drive, and turned off my desktop (see sig). I disconnected the SATA and power connector to my 1TB HDD (my boot SSD is still in tact), and then replaced it with the Hitachi laptop HDD. The system won't get past the Windows loading screen. It simply resets back to the MOBO screen and tries booting up again.

So I started working on some trial and error:
- After then unplugging my laptop HDD again but NOT plugging back in the desktop HDD, I received a message: "Boot disk missing" or something similar. Which is odd, cause Windows is on my SSD...
- After unplugging both the desktop HDD and SSD and only plugging in my laptop HDD, I received the same problem as in the very beginning.

Now, this all suggests that my HDD is simply the boot disk... but it's not.

Am I missing something? Is there a special way of swapping hard disks or something? I'm merely looking to get a few files from my laptop HDD.

Okay, so I've done a little bit looking around.

So, I have Windows on my SSD (C:\) and I have the Boot folder on the SATA (G:\). How can I move the Boot folder over to my SSD?

Essentially, the same problem as listed here, and I have NO idea how it happened (although I did not install this machine).

Any suggestions, or do I really have to repair via bootdisk?

Last edited:
Thanks for your response.

I've tried a mixed bag of the things suggested in your two links, but not necessarily in order or exactly as specified, so I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

All this just to mostly get a silly Mass Effect 1 save game so I can use it in Mass Effect 2... lol

Back