Supermicro X9SCL+-F issue ?

jaypeezee

Gawd
*sigh* Forgive me, this isn't Data Storage specific, however I am using the motherboard for my upcoming Server/ZFS build...

For the past 5 hours, I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out what the hell is going on...

Summary of Hardware

Intel XEON E3-1230
Supermicro X9SCL+-F
16GB Kingston ECC Ram - KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G
Sandisk 120GB SSD
IBM M1015
Antec 300 and P180
Antec 650W Earthwatts PSU

So I started putting everything together today and before testing, I installed everything in the 300 case... Powered it on and after 5-7 seconds it powered off on its own. I get no POST error/beeping. It should be noted that during this time, nothing displays on the monitor. I switched cases (only thing available at the time) and same thing happens. I've removed 2 of the 4 ram sticks and switched them around installing in the different banks with no avail. I reseated the CPU, still nothing. Tomorrow I'm gonna go out and buy a new PSU but if that doesn't work, what do you think it could be?

This is my first time using a supermicro mobo, so I'm not sure if its just something that i've over looked?

any help would be appreciated.. thanks.

I didn't see it in your notes OP, but your config for troubleshooting should be the following:

CPU
Motherboard
1 stick of RAM
Cardboard box / motherboard box

I've seen the 'spin up and spin down after a few seconds' when the cpu is toast :(

I've seen the exact same symptom for motherboard and power supply as well.

Specifically, this happened when one of those shitty push-pin coolers popped partially off and fried the CPU :(

@jaypeezee:

I believe the issue you noticed is due to the board booting it's IPMI firmware.

The first time you power up the motherboard, it may boot, pause (without displaying anything) then power down. You would then have to power it up again and wait until it finished booting the IPMI firmware before it will actually go through it's regular boot process. If you keep turning the power off completely (as in remove the standby power from the motherboard), you have to let the motherboard boot the IPMI firmware first which may add up to 30 seconds or so to the boot process. If you turn the computer off (but the standby supply is still powering the baseboard processor), then the boot process is almost identical to any other motherboard (that does not support IPMI).

I think the first time you boot up the motherboard, it actually initializes the CMOS settings and hence the boot and shutdown during the first time you power up the board. This should NOT happen anymore unless you clear the CMOS or something else is messed up in your system.

Hope this helps

Interesting, never heard that before. I guess we need to see what the OP says about how long he waited.

Well after reading the replies, I feel kinda dumb and hoping this is the case... I haven't tried booting it up again since posting but I waited 15-20ish seconds... and immediately assumed bad mobo/cpu/ram/psu because I've had the same issue with defective hardware before.

Gonna go downstairs and try this out, I'll report back here shortly.

This is the exact reason I posted here, thinking it might possibly be something with these server mobos i've never worked with... I know the IPMI is enabled so im hoping this is it.

@jaypeezee:

I believe the issue you noticed is due to the board booting it's IPMI firmware.

The first time you power up the motherboard, it may boot, pause (without displaying anything) then power down. You would then have to power it up again and wait until it finished booting the IPMI firmware before it will actually go through it's regular boot process. If you keep turning the power off completely (as in remove the standby power from the motherboard), you have to let the motherboard boot the IPMI firmware first which may add up to 30 seconds or so to the boot process. If you turn the computer off (but the standby supply is still powering the baseboard processor), then the boot process is almost identical to any other motherboard (that does not support IPMI).

I think the first time you boot up the motherboard, it actually initializes the CMOS settings and hence the boot and shutdown during the first time you power up the board. This should NOT happen anymore unless you clear the CMOS or something else is messed up in your system.

Hope this helps

You're awesome... It seems like I was jumping the gun and assuming the worse. Thanks for the help, now on to the build :)

I hate to dig up this old thread, but I have almost identical hardware and am having a similar issue. The system booted up fine, allowed me to install ESXi 5 on it, and ran for about 8 hours with no issues. I then put the side panels back on my case, moved it from my workbench to my server closet (upstairs), and when I went to turn it back on the case fans and CPU fan would spin up for half a second and then spin down. It then repeats this behavior every 5 seconds or so pretty much indefinitely. All of the lights come on and I am able to access the IPMI, but it just notes the host is off.

Any ideas? I have tried removing the RAM one stick at a time, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. I have reseated the CPU as well. Could it be a PSU issue? Or is it most likely more serious (CPU or Motherboard)?

I appreciate any help!

Back