Stupid Question

Crazy Larry

[H]ard|Gawd
If I'm running the F@H client and I log off, but don't turn off the machine, will the client continue to run?

It's possible, but it's not supposed to be run as a service.

And It's a lot of headache to setup it correctly and still have the risk of borking everything at random...

lol...I am running it as a service and it hasn't caused any issues on my system ;) I know people say it isn't supported but this is a quote from the FAQ on the F@H page

Run fah.exe to start the SMP client. You will get another pop-up firewall window. Note: We do not officially support running the SMP client as a service, although people have found the following to work

.NET 2.0 & Windows SMP Client must be installed from the same account with full administrator privileges.
using the -configonly flag, say "yes" to services question & configure everything else as you normally would. Do not start the client yet.
Open the services control pannel, go to the new FAH WinSMP service & open the properties and click the Log On tab. Select Log On As: This Account (instead of Local System Account), put the user name for the account under which .NET 2.0 and the SMP client were installed. Enter the password.
Reboot. The SMP client will automatically start in service mode.

Back