Student Suspended For Insulting His School In Tweet

Although I don't think their punishment is appropriate (if this is truly a first offense) his actions were a little douchey ... as to first amendment, if he posted while on campus he doesn't have any rights (if he was underage when he did it) ... if he was an adult, instead of a minor, or he did it off campus he might have that defense, but only if he could prove that his posting didn't actually violate a school policy

The courts have usually given schools a fair amount of leeway on constitutional rights ... the first, fourth, and fifth rarely apply on school grounds and minors aren't usually afforded the full protections of those amendments until they become adults (age of 18) ;)

Bullshit. Those rights are only curtailed as necessary to make the school function. Its actually supposed to give the schools a little lee-way but its being abused horribly. Children DO NOT check their Constitutional rights at the school door.

Well at least the kid didn't do something serious like bite his Pop Tart in to the shape of a gun.

Our schools are run by morons.

If he wasnt black I would say he was attending A.Hitler High.

Good for him. He spoke his mind, and in return, his school signed on to give him a massive civil rights payout in a few years that should take care of his insurmountable college debt.

More appropriately, using twitter to "incite a disturbance."

The reality is, few of us know anything about the culture in Wichita, so we can't comment on whether or not his comments could incite a disturbance or not.

It's Kansas, farting in a cornfield causes a disturbance.

Children DO NOT check their Constitutional rights at the school door.

According to the US courts, including SCOTUS, they do in many circumstances ... there are few restrictions on searching students (4th Amendment) ... students can be interrogated by school officials (5th Amendment) ... and there are tons of restrictions on speech (1st Amendment)

Remember that our original constitution didn't even allow 18 year olds (or women) to vote ... We had to amend the Constitution to do that ;)

All this over high school sports? Damn, and people say video games incite violence.

The usual school over-reaction we've all come to expect. It's no wonder kids come out of there so screwed up these days.

The usual school over-reaction we've all come to expect. It's no wonder kids come out of there so screwed up these days.

Kids come out screwed up because of parents (and lack of parenting), not teachers and schools.

Kids come out screwed up because of parents (and lack of parenting), not teachers and schools.

I disagree. I had a fairly good upraising but I went through hell in both public & private schools. Students with malevolent motives tend to drive other students to be pretty damn crazy. Bullying, hazing, & other ill-conceived actions do have a HUGE impact on growing, impressionable minds. School was a prison for me & I find it absolutely abhorent that such issues continually to perpuate to a point of chaos in the minds of the victimizers.

School, it's either hell, limbo, or heaven. Sure seems like hell most of the time with situations where control & punishment are more valuable than mercy & correction.

“Each pupil is held responsible for his/her personal actions. The right to attend a Wichita Public School carries with it the obligation to maintain acceptable behavior.”

The policy prohibits the use of personal electronic devices, including cellphones, during the school day and prohibits “bullying in any form,” including cyberbullying.

Offending some overly sensitive people isn't bullying.

He incited people? To do what? Disagree with each other? I don't see anything in his tweet asking or suggesting that people do anything.

If each pupil is responsible for his/her personal actions, this guy only bears responsibility for consequences he should reasonably expect. Unless he made a persistent effort to rile people up and cause trouble I don't see him bearing much responsibility for the actions of others here.

Unless there's a lot more that happened before or after that tweet it seems like the school officials have done far more to incite discord among the student body that he did and are far more guilty of bullying.

I think it should be pointed out that firing all of them for their handling of this would be a on a similar level to how they handled this although that's not really fair to the student. The officials have a much higher level of responsibility to treat students fairly than a student has to not offend other students.

They need to very quickly pull their heads out of their rear ends or be fired.

I disagree. I had a fairly good upraising but I went through hell in both public & private schools. Students with malevolent motives tend to drive other students to be pretty damn crazy. Bullying, hazing, & other ill-conceived actions do have a HUGE impact on growing, impressionable minds. School was a prison for me & I find it absolutely abhorent that such issues continually to perpuate to a point of chaos in the minds of the victimizers.

School, it's either hell, limbo, or heaven. Sure seems like hell most of the time with situations where control & punishment are more valuable than mercy & correction.

Why is that? Because parents were shitbags and didn't teach their children simple principles of respect for authority and others. Malevolent motives don't come from the school system, they come from the home. As a former teacher, you can't get anything done unless there is some sort of respect for the authority of a teacher.

Why is that? Because parents were shitbags and didn't teach their children simple principles of respect for authority and others. Malevolent motives don't come from the school system, they come from the home. As a former teacher, you can't get anything done unless there is some sort of respect for the authority of a teacher.

Respect is earned. Not through the power of authority. That is where you got it wrong.

There are teachers and professors who I will remember for the rest of my life and sincerely appreciate them for what they've taught me. Then there are the others that will only be a face but no name tied to them in my memory.

Respect is earned. Not through the power of authority. That is where you got it wrong.

There are teachers and professors who I will remember for the rest of my life and sincerely appreciate them for what they've taught me. Then there are the others that will only be a face but no name tied to them in my memory.

I disagree. I understand the whole "respect is earned" blah blah blah, but at various stages in childhood development respect for authority simply based on who a person is must be present. A child doesn't have the cognitive ability to process the notion of "earning respect."

I was lucky I studied with the same children from 2nd grade until graduation, so I knew them all well. I could give endless example or poor teaching I observed. Teachers are overworked, but not always the right. Many teachers are the problem as well. Teachers sleeping with students, abusing power ...even the good ones are overworked and tired most of the time.

To me the issues is one of overpopulation and lack or accountability across the board. Schools in my area went from reasonable sub 30 class sizes to near 40. One school I attended went from 1500ish to over 3000 same building. (no additions) The other issue is everyone is tired. Parents working endless hours to make by, teachers with too many students, Principals without a clue who someone is giving out punishment without thought, students forced to deal with too many other students in a tight place...how can we ask our children to be accountable when even our leaders refuse to held accountable for their actions. Why do we vote for people with shady pasts just because they are the right party.

The other issue is economic. We simply don't spend enough/make enough to pay for decent schools. Teachers new to be given power, but teachers which abuse it must be held accountable.

I disagree. I understand the whole "respect is earned" blah blah blah, but at various stages in childhood development respect for authority simply based on who a person is must be present. A child doesn't have the cognitive ability to process the notion of "earning respect."

At younger age groups. Yes, I will agree with you. However, in high school, especially in grades 10-12, many of their minds (should) have already been developed to have an appreciation to learn.

Sadly, that's not the case for some.

I'm not sure what it's like in the US education system, but I find in Australia there's a general lack of respect for authority... and that's the way I like it :p

I think there should be a basic level of respect shown to fellow humans in general. I know my sister who is a primary school teacher has had great problems with kids who lacked respect, not for authority, but for anything. But I've never felt the need or requirement to respect someone in authority purely because they are in authority.

I wonder if it's a slightly different culture in the US, I did notice in my Australian university all the students were on first name basis with their professors face to face and behind their backs often have pet names (either for good or bad), where as in my US university, all the students call the professors by "professor blah" or "doctor blah" even when talking among themselves when no professors were around. But maybe that's more of one university vs another university rather than one country vs another country.

I suppose you're right. I was unfortunate to receive the bad side of people's upbringing & too often I saw teachers turning a blind eye. School would've been great if respect & equality were a constant (earned & unearned).

At younger age groups. Yes, I will agree with you. However, in high school, especially in grades 10-12, many of their minds (should) have already been developed to have an appreciation to learn.

Sadly, that's not the case for some.

My point is that at the younger age groups where values are developed, parenting is pooly executed. The result is that you have a lot of screwed up teenagers who do not have an appreciation for learning (thus causing problems for teachers who generally mean well and try hard and other students), do not have a respect for others or the society they live in, and generally cause problems.

I was a teacher. I didn't think I was a bad teacher. I respected the students. I want no part of teaching anymore. I haven't taught in years, but once in a while I still hear from some of my former students. I think I made a difference at some level. I got tired of dealing with parents who thought their student was always right. I got tired of dealing with students who believed they were entitled to do whatever they wanted in my classroom. I have little sympathy left for the average student who claims to be mistreated by the educational system.

I'm not sure what it's like in the US education system, but I find in Australia there's a general lack of respect for authority... and that's the way I like it :p

I think there should be a basic level of respect shown to fellow humans in general. I know my sister who is a primary school teacher has had great problems with kids who lacked respect, not for authority, but for anything. But I've never felt the need or requirement to respect someone in authority purely because they are in authority.

I wonder if it's a slightly different culture in the US, I did notice in my Australian university all the students were on first name basis with their professors face to face and behind their backs often have pet names (either for good or bad), where as in my US university, all the students call the professors by "professor blah" or "doctor blah" even when talking among themselves when no professors were around. But maybe that's more of one university vs another university rather than one country vs another country.

The University behavior is usually more cultural ... for American students they are more likely to slack off in primary and secondary schools since there are a wide range of colleges available and even with bad grades there is some college you can get into ... once they get into college they tend to push harder since how you do in college has more of an impact on your job prospects than how you do in High School

For countries, like Japan, it is the opposite ... they push very hard in primary and secondary schools since their performance there determines which college they can attend (suicides are not uncommon for getting bad grades there) ... once they get into a college, they usually back off more since the job network is set up to favor graduates of specific schools and isn't as closely based on their performance at the university level

I am sure there are other differences in European schools, but I don't know as much about them ... also, certain professions might foster more significant ties to your college performance and/or the college you attend

My point is that at the younger age groups where values are developed, parenting is pooly executed. The result is that you have a lot of screwed up teenagers who do not have an appreciation for learning (thus causing problems for teachers who generally mean well and try hard and other students), do not have a respect for others or the society they live in, and generally cause problems.

I was a teacher. I didn't think I was a bad teacher. I respected the students. I want no part of teaching anymore. I haven't taught in years, but once in a while I still hear from some of my former students. I think I made a difference at some level. I got tired of dealing with parents who thought their student was always right. I got tired of dealing with students who believed they were entitled to do whatever they wanted in my classroom. I have little sympathy left for the average student who claims to be mistreated by the educational system.

I'm just curious, what is your take on this video? I see it from a "student" perspective and a political stance. But, as a teacher, what is your take? (Warning for language at the end.)

I think we can both agree that the student could have been more respectful by not making a whole scene out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_yswC6sjDc

Back