Stripe size for SSD RAID 0

chanchan

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I just got 2x64GB Kingston V Series SSD's and I'm going to RAID 0 them to try and boost up the lack of read/write performance.

I couldn't find any good stripe size reccomendations for SSD's, I'm going to be using them as my system drive, so it's going to be a gneral purpose thing. From my searching so far, I've seen some suggestions of 128k, what do you guys think?

I know these drives don't have the greatest write latency scores, so I'm thinking something as large as 128k would be good since it doesn't have to do as much IO operations.

Also, should AHCI be enabled for SSD's?

System:
Intel Q6600 @ 3.6GHz
Asus Maximus Formula Intel X38
4x2GB RAM
Sapphire 1GB HD5870

My old hard drive is the WD Raptor 150GB, I think these budget SSD's should give me a great experience improvement.

Regards,
Chan

With SSD arrays, bigger is better. Even for OS volumes. If you are using the onboard controller, you'll most likely be limited to 128k stripe so use that. If you're using a RAID card, using 1024k shows the best performance.

Jason

AHCI is only for single drive configs. For RAID-0, you'll have to put the controller into RAID mode. 64k or larger is the recommended stripe size, if you get the option. Windows 7 will automatically align the partitions properly.

Back