Strange issue with Netgear R7000

Sycraft

Supreme [H]ardness
Related to my other post asking about routers, the reason I'm doing that is because this one is having problems, but very, very strange ones:

So I have it acting as my router for my network, testing it out. At the moment I don't need a router, I have business class cable with multiple IPs, but I'm changing to consumer class cable so I will. It works fine in terms of being a router. I'm on the Internet, I can transfer data at full speed, I don't see any dropped packets, etc. No problems I can see.

However I fire up the web admin interface from my desktop and it is sloooooow. I'm talking minutes to load a page, multiple reloads required. Real inconsistent too. Some things are slow, some aren't as slow. This is all over the wired network

Here's the thing though: I plug in my laptop to the same switch, or even swap the cable from desktop to laptop, it has no problems. The web interface is fast.

So what the hell is up with this? Why would one system have troubles, and the other not? Particularly since neither have troubles when accessing the Internet at large, or other systems in the house.

I'm stumped.

What is the path of the connection to the router when its interface is slow? And using that particular path, which device are you using to access the router?

I'd then remove the cable from the device and stick it to another to rule out any computer issues like firewall etc...

The path is, near as I can tell, totally irrelevant. The router web interface is slow when plugged straight in to my desktop via the included short cable cable, and is slow when going through the normal path in my house (which is router -> Allied Telesis AT-GS900/8 -> desktop). Eliminating the entire chain does nothing to change the speed.

Likewise it is fast when accessed from my laptop, regardless of if the laptop is plugged right in to the router, or if ti goes through the AT switch, including swapping the laptop to the same cable the desktop normally uses.

It is consistent across all browsers (IE, Chrome, FF), they are all fast on the laptop, all slow on the desktop.

Access to anything else on the network/Internet is perfectly fast and problem free from the desktop.

If I stick in my old Linksys E4200 as a router, no issues with web admin speed from the desktop to it.

Hence why I'm so stumped.

I have a few suggestions still, although it is a weird problem. I agree.

1)Are you able to use Wireshark to investigate whether there might be a problem (TCP retransmissions)?

2)I am thinking it might be a speed or duplex negotiation problem. Assuming your desktop is gigabit, negotiation should be set to auto. Please check on both sides whether the same speed and duplex have been negotiated.
Although you may also try to force 100 megabit to check whether that helps (both sides again).

3) Boot your desktop into safe mode with networking. Perhaps some software is causing this.

Related to my other post asking about routers, the reason I'm doing that is because this one is having problems, but very, very strange ones:

So I have it acting as my router for my network, testing it out. At the moment I don't need a router, I have business class cable with multiple IPs, but I'm changing to consumer class cable so I will. It works fine in terms of being a router. I'm on the Internet, I can transfer data at full speed, I don't see any dropped packets, etc. No problems I can see.

However I fire up the web admin interface from my desktop and it is sloooooow. I'm talking minutes to load a page, multiple reloads required. Real inconsistent too. Some things are slow, some aren't as slow. This is all over the wired network

Here's the thing though: I plug in my laptop to the same switch, or even swap the cable from desktop to laptop, it has no problems. The web interface is fast.

So what the hell is up with this? Why would one system have troubles, and the other not? Particularly since neither have troubles when accessing the Internet at large, or other systems in the house.

I'm stumped.

I'm having the same issues

I have a few suggestions still, although it is a weird problem. I agree.

1)Are you able to use Wireshark to investigate whether there might be a problem (TCP retransmissions)?

2)I am thinking it might be a speed or duplex negotiation problem. Assuming your desktop is gigabit, negotiation should be set to auto. Please check on both sides whether the same speed and duplex have been negotiated.
Although you may also try to force 100 megabit to check whether that helps (both sides again).

3) Boot your desktop into safe mode with networking. Perhaps some software is causing this.

1) I'll have to give that a look. I'll set it up later on and see what it sees.

2) That's not the issue. I've encountered duplex mismatches before and there you get all slow traffic. This is only its web interface, everything else is fast, including traffic routing through it to the desktop. Also I've checked, everything (desktop, switch, router) is showing gigabit, and of course there's no duplex issues at gig since it is full by definition.

3) I'll try that and see what happens. I suppose something could be interfering in theory. Very similar software loadout to my laptop though. One of my first thoughts was that maybe ESET was interfering but not only does disabling it change nothing, the laptop runs the same version so it very likely isn't that. I'll try safe mode and see if anything is different.

You could always flash it with alternative firmware. It might brick it so proceed carefully.

So the packet capture does show TCP re-transmissions happening. No idea why, or what to do about it, but that is likely the problem.

I'm having the same slow interface issues here as well.. i have had two of these.. one at home.. worked flawlessly.. now here at my business.. its dog slow on a brand new device.. i'm thinking i may have to RMA/replace the unit.

Back