Strange Boot Problem with P8P67 Deluxe

pbryan

n00b
I'm having a cold boot problem with my P8P67 Deluxe.

When the power has been off overnight, usually 12-18 hours, the cold boot results in a "USB over current status detected". However, an immediate reboot, either using the power button or the reset button will result in no errors and a normal clean boot.

The symptoms are as follows:
1. Press power button
2. Power LED lights on case. Fans/drives spin up.
3. Everything shuts off (LED, fans, etc...) after less than 1sec.
4. A few seconds later, everything powers up again it seems to going through the normal process, when it gets to the BIOS reporting screen I get the "USB over current status detected".
5. A press of the reset or power buttons at this point reboots the computer and then everything starts fine. The computer seems to work normally at this point with no other issues. Any USB devices plugged in work fine.

Any subsequent reboots or power off, power on's at this point are fine. Let it sit overnight again, and I get the USB over current the next day...

I have unplugged all USB devices & still get the error.

I am running the 1305 BIOS and have tried several CMOS clears. I'm not running any overclocking at this point.

The strange thing is why would a reboot fix an over current errror? if there is a short somewhere why don't I get this error on every boot, instead of just after a long power off time?

Any suggestions on other things to try?

Thanks,
--Paul

Unplug the case connectors for the USB and if you got any other USB connectors you got in box with your mother board-I d do them one at a time to see if one of them is shorting or creating a power surge.

If that doesnt work then try disabling them in device manager. See if that works. It might be one port that might have a bad connection or something stuck. Probably a 3.0 port.

Should have mentioned it, all internal USB connectors on the motherboard are disconnected, including the USB3.0 drive bay that came with the motherboard...

I don't think I can disable the USB 2.0 ports through BIOS, can I? I only see an option for turning off the USB 3.0 controller... I'll try that tonight, but unfortunately it takes an overnight to tell if anything has an effect...

--Paul

In device manager not BIOS - for turning them off. That would also mean you are not able to use them ( incase you have usb mouse keyboard etc).

The problem occurs long before Windows starts...
I don't see how disabling a USB driver in Windows will prevent BIOS from detecting what it thinks is a hardware fault...

if you find a resolution please post. My thinking is that a USB port is shorting out-once it shorts out you dont get a problem( or at least see it) but after some time the connection is re established-overnight-then it shorts out again. Seems more like a hardware problem but in any case try plugging in devices to as many USB ports as you can and see if the problem still happens overnight.

The other thing you might verify is that the connection to on board USB is for the lowest number available-like on my Pro board some people had problems if they connected to port labelled 13-14 instaed of connecting to ports 9-10. Just to rule out anything. And make sure thepower and reset connectors are connected correctly from the case-since the problem comes up right after you power it on-red+, black -ve green for grounding.

It's not a USB problem.
It's just the normal loss of settings of the p67 when it's been powered off for an extended time and cold booted, then stuff happens like that.

There isn't really a USB overcurrent.

You can try rma'ing the board, as the cold post problem could be aggrivated by a flaky component triggering the USB warning, but I haven't seen others report this, so it isn't normal, or just wait for a newer bios. I don't know if you're using a B3 board, but virtually all P67 boards were having problems similar to that (triple posting) after being left off all night...

It's not a B3 board...

I plan to remedy that soon, but I'm trying to decide if I should do the ASUS replacement to a B3 Deluxe, or return it for another board/brand (It's a Microcenter purchase, so they are offering that option for the "recall").

If this is a component problem then the new B3 ASUS board should be fine. If it's a problem with the BIOS, or it's something in my system that the ASUS board doesn't like, I might be better off with something else... Looks like Microcenter's best option right now is an MSI board...

--Paul

Had a successful cold boot today with the Renesas USB 3.0 Controller disabled in BIOS... Will see if that happens again tomorrow...

Not a great solution however, as I do have a USB 3.0 External Drive...

I have the pro and inspite of all the ramblings I had no problems building mine. More problems in installing windows 7 than building the system.

Hi Paul

I'm having exactly the same problem with P8P67 Deluxe board. Same testing, and the problem seems unrelated to any actual USB fault and only occurs after the system has been powered down for a period of time greater than a couple of hours.

I'm running with the latest BIOS, 1503 and I have a B3 revision board.

I'm also seeing a problem waking from sleep, where the system has been in the suspended state for longer and a couple of hours. This doesn't produce the USB over current error, but none the less, while my system will resume from sleep just fine after periods of time less than a couple of hours, sleeping for anything greater will result in a very early but undiagnosed POST error, followed by an early hang on the seond boot attempt. After powering down and back up, the system will do a standard resume from hybernation (which is what happens when a hybrid sleep suspend state resumption fails) with no problems at all. (I'm running Windows 7 x64).

I'd be curious to know how your system behaves in relation to resuming from sleep.

I'm currently impatiently waiting for another BIOS update, but if that fails to rectify the issue, or if nothing further is heard from ASUS I'll probably return the board as unfit for purpose and get something else instead. Which is a shame because the feature set of this board is quite pleasing.

I have a P8P67 WS with the same issue. My PC won't boot at all with 2 external USB drives connected (and not because of any boot order issues). Even without the USB drives connected, I have "dual boot" issues as described here. Reading the official ASUS forums, there are several reports of this issue across all P8P67 models, and many seem to be improved or completely addressed by the latest BIOS revisions, however, some users are recommending trying XMS memory profiles or different memory to alleviate the problem. Worth perusing the ASUS forums if you try several of these suggestions and still have a problem.

Don't discount the USB thing though - it is definitely affecting my boot-up. A lot of other users have pointed to the PSU as well, I have a Corsair AX850 which I really hope is not the problem since it is probably one of the best-reviewed power supplies around.

Random thoughts

This is very common - there are a million of these on google

Several people on other forums have fixed USB probs with a fresh Win 7 install. When switching from B2 to B3 severakl new HW I.D.'s are involved - often to the point that Win 7 needs to be revalidated because the system HW hash has highest weighting for mobo. Many of the chip I.D.'s are also different individually. My new bios chip is Winbond, which it wasnt before. Usually the B3 also has a dif bios loaded than the one you had. I know fresh install is a PITA, but might be best first shot at prob solving. However, over current message is kinda scary implying circuit trace/soldering defect. Might want to take out CPU and check for bent pins also.

While you are getting the overcurrent message you could put your fingers on the USB ports sheetmetal box/port exterior and feel for heat. Even better to do same with mobo out of case and feel solder joints underneath for USB for heat.

Another thing is to loosen up HSink screws to make sure its not pinching mobo layers

I would def try the 1503 bios, 1305 is fine for no prob, 1503 is best for probs.

Noticed some people had auto reboots fror no reason that was traced to PSU connectors not making strong contact with mobo male connector pins. Unplugging and replugging PSU - mobo connectors going straight in might be worth a shot.

The cold reboot prob can often be fixed by setting spread spectrum to ENABLED - not auto or disabled. This if you have nearby cell towers, flouescent lights, power stations, or even certain HIGH CFM fans with exotic bearings

IMHO is waste of time to hibernate or sleep this board since there are so many energy saving features already. In fact I would set "power" in cntrl panel to performance mode and max everything out in advanced options

Heres a guy with same prob, fixed with bios regression
http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/457389-usb-over-current-status-detected.html
Heres a guy who had a short to the FRONT PANEL ports (fault of case)
http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/799895-solved-usb-over-current-status.html
Heres an EXCELLENT thread with great insight and many solutions!!!
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/192538-30-a8n32-quot-current-status-detected-quot

no sleep? r u kidding?

im burning over 100 watts idle with all power settings enbaled (my UPS monitors all the plugs and records everything)

Sleep is a nice feature to have, but there was a time when people had to actually turn off the computer.
I mean, when it takes 10 seconds for windows to boot up, is there really any reason to throw away an otherwise perfectly good board just because sleep doesn't work? Just turn the board off if you want to save power...

yes, sceduled events....

Media Center recordings, virus scanners, windows update, etc....

I'm having the EXACT same problem as the OP with my p67 sabertooth board. It started about a month after my system was fully built, and it ran fine for a while. I figured it was USB, so I did everything to rule out each port. I also removed the MB, tightened all the standoff screws, insulated my front 3.0 ports from the case. Still doing it after cold boot.

I will probably go to the local shop where I bought the board and exchange it for a z68 if I can. But I really like the look of this board. I hoped ASUS would have some insight, but I guess not.

Does anyone know if this is an issues with the z68 boards as well? I may get an MSI if it is.

Back