Storage plan, comments please

Juda$

n00b
Hi,

I would like to setup a reasonable performance storage system for home.I have the existing hardware set aside for the storage box its self.

2x Xeon X5355 2.6ghz
16GB ECC RAM
Intel VSA5000 Motherboard (has 2 onboard nics) also 16gb is max supported ram.
It has 2 4xpci-e and 2 pci-x slots.
1x Infiniband adapter
1x LSI 8308ELP raid card.

The majority of the traffic will com from 1 host which is connected to the infiniband adapter both adapters are identical and have the same firmware and support IPoIB

I have tried FreeNAS and Solaris 10 and 11 with a combination of ZRaid1 and ZRaid2 and found that I struggle to get the write performance much over about 60% of
a 1Gbit nic which is disappointing. Since test though I have discovered that performance might be increased by using more than 1 vdev but I am yet to try this out. I had
used 1 large vdev of 8 disk for both ZRaid1 and ZRaid2 testing.

I would like to be able to write data to the storage box at 250MB/S or more which I think the hardware is easily capable of (depending on protocol used SMB/NFS etc)

I have attached a basic image explaining a possible setup I was considering using Windows 8 as it has support for SMB v3 which I think when combined with Richcopy
would allow more concurrent SMB transactions.

This is based on my understanding of SMB that it is single threaded process which makes topping 125MB challenging in normal situations.

The Server has 2 CPU's which have 4 cores with no HT each
and the desktop is a i7 3820 with 4 cores + HT

input welcomed guys !

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By16GyIFgiG_clg2dEY1RTQxT3c/view?usp=sharing

...I struggle to get the write performance much over about 60% of
a 1Gbit nic which is disappointing. Since test though I have discovered that performance might be increased by using more than 1 vdev but I am yet to try this out. I had used 1 large vdev of 8 disk for both ZRaid1 and ZRaid2 testing.
For sequential performance, 1 large vdev is fine. More vdevs will help IOPS.

What's CPU load look like when testing? Those Xeons are quite old & have limited per-thread performance by 2015 standards.

Back