Steam over 65 mil users +30% in 12mo.

Not much else needs to be said. Majority of steam's growth has been from this game alone no other game was even remotely close too reaching 500,000 players daily on steam.
As much as people want it to be true linux has nothing to do with this growth.

Well there are 32 million unique, monthly active, League of Legends players which is a non-steam game similar to DoTA2. LoL has had 5million concurrent players worldwide. League of Legends sees "over 500,000 peak concurrent players every day on just the EU West shard,"
World of Tanks has over 45million registered players.
Minecraft had 10million players awhile back, idk what it is at now.
WoW is still around 10million.
GW2 had 3.5million sold, 460k peak concurrent in August.
BF3(statistics for Battlelog reported by p-stats.com) - the statistics are a total of 1070533 registered users. For BF3,the largest community of players is the Personal Computer with as many as 573,854 registered users, leaving remote console versions Playstation 3 and Xbox 360, respectively, 311939 and 184740 registered users.
Diablo 3, in may, had 14.5 million players who ever played it. They reported 2.1 million ave number of players since launch, peak since launch 5.8 million.
None of these aforementioned games are on steam.

On steam,
DoTA2 had 5 million players in july, idk what they are at now. If you use the 5million figure, that is still only 5 out of 65 million gamers on steam.
Steam grew 30% in 12 months which is 19.5 million players (each 10% = 6.5 million).
Even if you said every DoTA2 player was never on steam before the growth(highly unlikely), it would still be 1.5 million less than 10% of the 30% growth steam experienced in 12months.
7.6% of the 30% growth, minus the % of DoTA users that were on steam prior to 12 months ago - would not be considered a majority.

That said, DoTA2 does have the most concurrent players(on steam) daily by far, but if you add up all the other games people are busy having fun playing on steam concurrently it is a large figure.

Last edited:
See Steam DRM is OK! :) Everyone loves DRM done right..i guess

funny Steam use to be so hated in the first 3-5 years

If PC gaming's killer app is DotA2, that is some very low standard platform.
And the killer app for Windows is probably Microsoft Word. You don't usually get to pick what reaches a state of hyper-popularity, and rarely is it the one you want. DOTA's a stupidly-popular game, though.

funny Steam use to be so hated in the first 3-5 years
In the early years, Steam was serving as a replacement for a proven, reliable networking system, and its level of reliability was shockingly low. Given that, the extent of the distaste toward it was perfectly reasonable.

Steam still delivers an appallingly low level of reliability today, but it has more features now and there are frequent sales. And things work...occasionally.

Steam still delivers an appallingly low level of reliability today, but it has more features now and there are frequent sales. And things work...occasionally.

Wait, what? I've never had any of these "appallingly low" levels of reliability :confused:

Well there are 32 million unique, monthly active, League of Legends players which is a non-steam game similar to DoTA2. LoL has had 5million concurrent players worldwide. League of Legends sees "over 500,000 peak concurrent players every day on just the EU West shard,"
World of Tanks has over 45million registered players.
Minecraft had 10million players awhile back, idk what it is at now.
WoW is still around 10million.
GW2 had 3.5million sold, 460k peak concurrent in August.
BF3(statistics for Battlelog reported by p-stats.com) - the statistics are a total of 1070533 registered users. For BF3,the largest community of players is the Personal Computer with as many as 573,854 registered users, leaving remote console versions Playstation 3 and Xbox 360, respectively, 311939 and 184740 registered users.
Diablo 3, in may, had 14.5 million players who ever played it. They reported 2.1 million ave number of players since launch, peak since launch 5.8 million.
None of these aforementioned games are on steam.

On steam,
DoTA2 had 5 million players in july, idk what they are at now. If you use the 5million figure, that is still only 5 out of 65 million gamers on steam.
Steam grew 30% in 12 months which is 19.5 million players (each 10% = 6.5 million).
Even if you said every DoTA2 player was never on steam before the growth(highly unlikely), it would still be 1.5 million less than 10% of the 30% growth steam experienced in 12months.
7.6% of the 30% growth, minus the % of DoTA users that were on steam prior to 12 months ago - would not be considered a majority.

That said, DoTA2 does have the most concurrent players(on steam) daily by far, but if you add up all the other games people are busy having fun playing on steam concurrently it is a large figure.

PC gaming's most popular game is probably League of Legends, though it is similar to DoTA both being fantasy Multi user online battle arenas (MoBA).

http://www.destructoid.com/ul/236618-riot-games-announce-2012-league-of-legends-numbers/LoLInfoGraphic2012-620x.jpg

It and Dota are extremely fun, competitive games with tens of millions of people who love them all around the world.

Some of the #1 games in the past several years have been Portal(1&2) across all platforms. WoW obviously extremely popular during its historic run (long in the tooth now but still 10mil players). Minecraft is very popular. A still fairly popular game is TF2 also. Graphics alone does not make a game great, or even fun.
Games like skyrim were also in the top of the charts on pc, which was more graphically demanding by comparison even if a console port. Steam skyrim players broke 300k concurrent at one point. That doesn't count players outside of steam obviously. The walking dead game was also a chart topper across any platform. Super mario galaxy and zelda have also been chart toppers in the past, and L4D2 in '09 was in the top of charts.
The steambox~steamOS doesn't have to be a console port game machine. There are tens of millions of people playing MoBas like DoTA and LoLegends, MMOs, and rpgs during their popularity heights, hundreds of thousands concurrently (DoTA 500k daily not counting korea and china).

The steambox~steamOS provides a simple living room kiosk/console-like interface that could expand the "pc gaming" demographics way beyond the linux tinkerer gamer pool, and beyond even nuanced windowsOS usage gamers. If a good rpg similar to skryim, witcher, etc and/or a popular MMO or two were to jump to linux even in a F2P stage it would change a lot. If source2 eventually comes out with a slew of stuff like HL3, TF3, Portal3, L4D3, CS, etc and yet to be realized popular mods/total conversions... It could change a lot. If future revisions of the oculus rift and its competitors come out with much higher resolutions, the consoles stuck at 1600x900 and 1080p could be found very lacking in a VR environment were view distances, resolution in distance, objects viewable in distance, and texture detail matter much more.
Demographically, the steamOS and especially non-nuanced pre-made steam boxes opens a whole new playing field and can't be compared to the nuanced/tinkerer linux gaming user base prior to it. It may take some time, but I have faith in its potential.

Wait, what? I've never had any of these "appallingly low" levels of reliability :confused:

I still find it moderately unstable. More times than not I just can't download games or updates due to the mysterious paused feature or network problems/congestion.
Steam is annoying to me but the sales are awesome. It's still all DRM though but I'm ok with it due to low prices.

I still find it moderately unstable. More times than not I just can't download games or updates due to the mysterious paused feature or network problems/congestion.
Steam is annoying to me but the sales are awesome. It's still all DRM though but I'm ok with it due to low prices.

Yeah I guess I never really noticed any of the instability myself. I use it often enough, but maybe I just don't pay attention too much to it

I have no probs with steam. If anything, console ports screwing up/crashing/black-screening once in a very great while but I can't blame steam for that. I also have multiple monitors, gaming on a single 120hz 1080p one, which could "confuse" console ports, again not a steam problem.

I download very fast off steam too. I get around my fios max of around 7.4MB/sec on steam so it's not throttled at all.

Remember guys, console dudes have problems on their own, my 360 use to hang on me every so often. Abd they have patch too, bext gen console are gonna be even more complex machine with layered os (like windows) and will be prone to even more bugs and instability in the first few years.

Many time problems come from us, overclocking too much and casual pc user with 30,000000 spywhare installed Lolllllllllll

One thing a SteamOS PC could eventually do that neither the new Xbox or PS4 will ever be able to do is play 4k games.

That alone will make Steambox systems unrivaled and the desire of all the 'gotta have best on the block' types eventually.

One thing a SteamOS PC could eventually do that neither the new Xbox or PS4 will ever be able to do is play 4k games.

That alone will make Steambox systems unrivaled and the desire of all the 'gotta have best on the block' types eventually.

That's not going to mean that much when the textures are just being up-scaled to 4k from 1080P due to them being developed with the restrictions of consoles. :eek:

As for the comment about killer games on Linux. I took that as "Linux exclusive" games. As far as I know, there aren't any must have games that require Linux to play. Although after all the beta testing is done and it's a straight easy install to play games on Linux, I find it very difficult to believe that I will stick with Windows. Gaming on Linux is the primary reason why I haven't switched yet. While I know it can be done, it's just so much easier to do on Windows. I don't have time to Google how to install each game.

If PC gaming's killer app is DotA2, that is some very low standard platform.

Most peoples PC is a laptop. DoTA2, Teraria (yes an iphone game), and silly facebook games are what they play on the PC. They do their AAA gaming on a console.

Just how most people are, and there is nothing wrong with that.

For the "best on the block" 120hz+ of unique, more current frames output and a display capable of showing them all is the best (which no console, and no tv by design as of yet - will do). It provides much greater motion definition ~ higher defined motion transitions and animations, showing newer content more often and sooner, and has more delineated as well as aethetically smoother control. It also reduces FoV blur, but adding synchronized backlight strobing eliminates it at 100hz+ essentially. While a 120hz+ @120fps user is seeing another frame of what is happening in the game world in the next 8.3ms, the 60fps@60fps is "freeze-framed" on the previous frame throughout a full 16.6ms. Lower than 60fps will be "freeze-framed" even longer on the same frame, 30fps at 33.2ms. This can affect accuracy and reaction time, and the faster screen updates are also more visually appealing.

There is an eizo "240hz" gaming monitor ~ 120hz+backlight strobing(eliminates constant FoV motion blur) monitor out. Next year, nvidia g-sync monitors will be out that dynamically match the refresh rate to the hz, eliminating the side effects of using v-sync or not using v-sync in the past. G-sync also has a superior to lightboost backlight strobing mode which will eliminate FoV motion blur, but so far is reported to be mutually exclusive to the dynamic refresh function.
The press releases say that higher resolution g-sync monitors will come out too, 2560x and 4k. They don't mention if the refresh rates will be higher than 60hz though, and whether they will have any in more living room sized panels for steambox living room users if they do have 120hz ones.
Going into the next couple of years, future revisions of the oculus rift and competitors to it may come out with much higher resolutions as well, and who knows if they will add higher Hz and backlight strobing functionality.

It could change a lot. If future revisions of the oculus rift and its competitors come out with much higher resolutions, the consoles stuck at 1600x900 and 1080p could be found very lacking in a VR environment were view distances, resolution in distance, objects viewable in distance, and texture detail matter much more.
Demographically, the steamOS and especially non-nuanced pre-made steam boxes opens a whole new playing field and can't be compared to the nuanced/tinkerer linux gaming user base prior to it. It may take some time, but I have faith in its potential.
The steambox and windows pc gaming provide a much greater performance potential just on the facets of higher resolution and higher hz.
With the changes in monitor/tv display tech and VR headset display tech potentially in the next few years, things could change quite a bit while the consoles are stuck in a full cycle at 60hz output and 1600x900 or 1080p resolution with more limited texture detail. We will have to see if any really fun games jump to steamOS-opengl-linux user base, and if a good dev and mod community for VR environments and gaming could happen. It might take a few years but the last console cycle was 8 years.

There are a couple things that seem off, first is everyone quoting 110 million Sony PSN users. Really? Because pretty much everyone is acutely aware that Sony's major weakness was PSN, and the big reason tons of people bought XBOX 360 was because no one played online on PSN. So something has to be totally messed up with the way Sony is reporting those numbers. Given XBOX live even by SONY fans was considered to be the vastly superior community with way more activity. What is even more puzzling is that SONY never sold 110 million PS3s at all let alone having them all in PSN. So they way I see it their accounting of this has to be anyone who ever signed up for a PSN account for any reason. IMO the real deal which no one seems willing to report on is the active users online at peak time during a day. Or the aggregate of all users that logon in a single day or week. My guess is that steam may very well be beating these guys on this stat because steam is willing to release it and others have not bothered to do any dick waving to counter this.

As for one hit making Linux. The comment by DICE was vague and in itself horribly wrong. If a game like BF3 shows up on Linux very few people are going to switch. The only way that comment could be true is if the game that is a huge hit is exclusive to Linux or runs way better on Linux and this forces people to use it.

Also just out of curiosity does chrome OS run Linux games with no problems?

Last edited:
I think all of them have exceptions to their number surely. Just so you know, the sony handhelds also use PSN and have accounts. Also, you can have more than one login to a particular ps3 and PSN.
The oculus rift link I supplied in my previous comment seems to reinforce what I had been saying prior.
Oculus Rift creator: Xbox One and PS4 are far too limited for what we're planning
Future revisions of the oculus rift should have blur elimination and higher resolutions. Blur elimination with strobing flickers at sub 100hz. This "next gen" and previous/current gen of consoles are all 60hz output, period. VR systems will demand higher resolutions, higher rez textures, longer "geographic" view distances, longer distances that objects/creatures are viewable in distance. These consoles will be 1600x900 upscaled, 720p, and maybe 1080p on less demanding titles, lower texture resolutions, lower hz, lower fps, shorter distances, less sophisticated controls hard coded, etc etc.

It might not just be ports or BF3 but perhaps some unforeseen games heavily developed specifically for VR headsets that make a huge difference. There could also be dev +mod community support for VR experiences that are outside of typical "gaming" too, like plot based or scripted worlds, whatever. This might take a few years. A lot could change in 2 - 5 yrs from now with both valve's(+it's secretive partner deals), and oculus rift's - seeds being sewn now. The console cycle is usually around 8 yrs which is a very long time and they are already way behind current pcs, even mid range pcs.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if the explosion in users are a bunch of dummy, place-holder accounts for people abusing things like steamgifts.com. Easier to win something if you have 100 accounts to play with...

Also, I imagine spammers and scammers have to be eyeballing the large user base and drooling over the possibilities.

worm

If money is involved (numbers acting as an advertisement for the service) I'm sure someone could setup logon bots or manually make multiple accounts, especially since all the services currently have free login capability and I think xboxlive also included gamesforwindowslive logins. They (all of the services) could use other interesting statistics like unique concurrent online users per quarter (not just adding the same person's logins over and over). Some other stats I'd be interested in are things like number of GB/Terabytes/Petabytes/Exabytes downloaded per qtr and per year, and number of downloaded titles, and number of sold titles. Those figures would be harder to fluff with dummy logins. However, you can sell titles online and don't have to be online to play any that have single player capability, so online figures don't show the whole picture. The same goes for store bought discs. Then you have to question the validity and truth of the numbers any of the services post. I also wonder how many titles people buy are just shelved and not played more than a few times. All things considered, it's likely that none of the services' posted values are pure numbers whether intentionally or not, but they might give a rough measure.

I think a lot of stream's growth is probably due to steam sales (and steam activation game sales on g*g and greenmangaming) of all manner of titles personally, and more people switching to digital downloads on great game deals that get posted on slickdeals and other sale news pages. Their library of less demanding games is also large.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if the explosion in users are a bunch of dummy, place-holder accounts for people abusing things like steamgifts.com. Easier to win something if you have 100 accounts to play with...

Also, I imagine spammers and scammers have to be eyeballing the large user base and drooling over the possibilities.

worm

Scammer and spammers have been targeting steam since the hl2 days.

I just don't see anyway that people are creating millons of accounts just to farm games. Their main avenue for doing that would have to be humble bundles. But humble bundles selling in the 1-2 million range not the 10 -15 million range. Sure steam gifts is there but once again looking at the people who sign up for accounts, a lot of games just get a couple hundred entrants not thousands or millions. Maybe millions of people got banned for hacking in MW lol. That would be another interesting stat, what percent of the 65million are vac banned

I wonder how many are active users versus "bought a game once and never again" users.

Back