Steam Machine Prototype Details and Specs

I ... emmm .. that will be expensive to try and sell that off as a console.

I think thats mostly because of the crap PSU the average person has. Gotta overestimate a little. If you look at the actual power draw, 450 is fine.

Yup, as long as your not OC'ing or running sli you can run about anything on a 450w 80+ power supply. Probably be more efficient as well.

From Guru3D, just a quick search, sorry [H].

Power Consumption

Let's have a look at how much power draw we measure with this graphics card installed.

The methodology: We have a device constantly monitoring the power draw from the PC. We simply stress the GPU, not the processor. The before and after wattage will tell us roughly how much power a graphics card is consuming under load.

Our test system is based on a power hungry Core i7 - X58 system. This setup is overclocked to 3.80 GHz on all cores. Next to that we have energy saving functions disabled for this motherboard and processor (to ensure consistent benchmark results). On average we are using roughly 50 to 100 Watts more than a standard PC due to higher CPU clock settings, water-cooling, additional cold cathode lights etc.

We'll be calculating the GPU power consumption here, not the total PC power consumption.

Measured power consumption single GeForce GTX Titan

System in IDLE = 136W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 372W
Difference (GPU load) = 236W
Add average IDLE wattage ~15W
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 251 Watts

Titan Power Usage

Interesting that they are fronting Nvida GPUs. I guess AMD doesn't have everyone's dick in the bag.

Well not surprising to anyone that's actually been following this, no. NVIDIA recognized the potential and the opportunity to get it on something at the ground floor while AMD is busy writing 8 million dollar checks to EA in hopes of making something happen.

NVIDIA has been pouring additional resources and R&D into OpenGL for the past year (and its apparent by the sudden frequency of updates to OpenGL on their driver page) and they've had NVIDIA engineers working inhouse at Valve since early this year.

Pretty much guaranteed that the high-end GPU's in this prototype unit were donated by NV and I'm guessing the intel cpu's were donated as well.

Those specs look a lot like the Steam Box I just built. I can 't wait to see what SteamOS has to offer.

I don't understand such beefy specs? Why on earth if you are going to run SteamOS, which is supposedly highly optimized for games would you need such high end parts? Who are they trying to target with this? So many questions... :(

Never fear, Easy answers:

"SteamBox" can be any off-the-shelf-built x86 PC that "SteamOS" (Ubuntu 12.03+ with a Valve-themed front end) has hardware drivers to support. Or you can buy one already built from an OEM and pay a premium. Valve will also be shipping i3 cpus and much weaker gpus, etc., in these temporarily loaned test units. You could also run an AMD box, of course--but Valve won't be sending these test units out with anything except either an i3, an i5, or an i7, apparently. Pot luck on who gets what. These are nothing but test boxes to help Valve shake out the bugs in its Valve-front end and OpenGL tweaks for Ubuntu 12.03+.

Apparently, there is no console and there is no new OS. In short, this is business as usual at Valve, with a couple of coats of new paint. Of course, the logical thing to do should one be so inclined as to run SteamOS in the "living room" or anywhere else, would be to simply make this new build a Windows PC and just dual-boot to SteamOS when desired. That way, you would not have to stream the ~3,000 Steam games or so that SteamOS does not support over a local network from a Windows box running in another room. Lol! Just run the Windows games right there on your Windows box, instead!...;) Much better solution.

At this point no one should have any further questions about all of this stuff. I surely don't. It's exactly what I thought it would be. A lot of noise about essentially nothing.

AMD does not have many. They have the consoles because they had a cpu/gpu combo chip that Nvidia could not do. They paid 8 million for battlefield 4 optimized. Origin pc just cut amd from machines due to issues.

Interesting that they are fronting Nvida GPUs. I guess AMD doesn't have everyone's dick in the bag.

Yeah I don't really see the point of Steam machines. Are they going after the Alienware crowd or something?

I doubt they aren't going to be able to make them any cheaper than you can build one yourself. I don't think any of the hardware vendors would be willing to give them discounts because they'd be cannibalizing their own hardware sales.

Then they're too expensive compared to consoles to go after that crowd. The only market I see for this is the people who like to buy Alienware type systems.

Yeah I don't really see the point of Steam machines. Are they going after the Alienware crowd or something?

I doubt they aren't going to be able to make them any cheaper than you can build one yourself. I don't think any of the hardware vendors would be willing to give them discounts because they'd be cannibalizing their own hardware sales.

Then they're too expensive compared to consoles to go after that crowd. The only market I see for this is the people who like to buy Alienware type systems.
Thats exactly what I've been think all alnong after hearing all the news about this.
For those that already have a PC, just install SteamOS and you have a steambox. To expensive for the console crowd, one reason why the PS4 has been more popular (notice I said one reason, lol).
I just don't see manufactures selling many pre-built systems, especially to those that realize that they can just install the OS on the rig they already own.

I might install the SteamOS just to test it out but honestly I doubt I will use it much. Not that it will matter how much I use it as they will count me as another download to use on their site to show popularity, as other site do the same.

...I had a 3770k and Titan running with a 500w Bronze PSU and that didn't end too well, but a 470w?!?! The Titan powers up once in an intense game and that PSU will pop out.

Nice to see that my current system matches those specs.

I hope valve gets discounts for buying the hardware in bulk,if not then i cant see that thing being less than $1,000

They are probably getting discounts for helping keep Nvidia relevant.

Since these are the prototypes, they may want to remove hardware from the equation for the prototypes so if they have problems they know its not the hardware performance.

AMD does not have many. They have the consoles because they had a cpu/gpu combo that nvidia could not do. They paid 8 million for battlefield 4 optimized. Origin pc just cut amd from machines due to issues.

I wish people would stop using a boutique pc maker that probably has, at best, .05% of the pc market(if not less) as an indication that Amd is doing something badly. I find it more likely the couldnt charge 2000.00 for their 1200.00 computer without an nvidia logo to get people to drink the koolaid.

seems like a steam machine could really take the console performance crown away from xbo and ps4 this generation. it will likely cater to people who have 100s of games already on a steam library, and $3k in a gaming laptop, but want a more comfortable playing environment as their upgrade.

i think it could be priced at $999, and garner a lot of epeen from the mainstream crowd.

seems like a steam machine could really take the console performance crown away from xbo and ps4 this generation. it will likely cater to people who have 100s of games already on a steam library, and $3k in a gaming laptop, but want a more comfortable playing environment as their upgrade.

...and are too stupid to have already built their own PC.

If they are using these types of specs than it makes you wonder what Source 2 Engine will be capable of. They will probably use HL3, Left 4 Dead 3..etc to showcase the SteamBox...can't wait to see what those games will look like.

Never fear, Easy answers:

"SteamBox" can be any off-the-shelf-built x86 PC that "SteamOS" (Ubuntu 12.03+ with a Valve-themed front end) has hardware drivers to support. Or you can buy one already built from an OEM and pay a premium. Valve will also be shipping i3 cpus and much weaker gpus, etc., in these temporarily loaned test units. You could also run an AMD box, of course--but Valve won't be sending these test units out with anything except either an i3, an i5, or an i7, apparently. Pot luck on who gets what. These are nothing but test boxes to help Valve shake out the bugs in its Valve-front end and OpenGL tweaks for Ubuntu 12.03+.

Apparently, there is no console and there is no new OS. In short, this is business as usual at Valve, with a couple of coats of new paint. Of course, the logical thing to do should one be so inclined as to run SteamOS in the "living room" or anywhere else, would be to simply make this new build a Windows PC and just dual-boot to SteamOS when desired. That way, you would not have to stream the ~3,000 Steam games or so that SteamOS does not support over a local network from a Windows box running in another room. Lol! Just run the Windows games right there on your Windows box, instead!...;) Much better solution.

At this point no one should have any further questions about all of this stuff. I surely don't. It's exactly what I thought it would be. A lot of noise about essentially nothing.

It's great to know that you've got this all figured out better than Valve does.

How many billion-dollar companies do you run btw?

It is not Ubuntu 12.03.... it is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS...

My only problem is I once swore a "Mighty Oath..." to never buy an Fn' console! Now Valve comes along with an open linux gaming platform~! Damn you Gabe!!

For those who only want to bash linux gaming: Linux is open, thus if a full on gaming company decides to invest in optimising linux to play their own gaming stack, you can expect gaming to do quite well.

Valve seems to be serious about investing in the parts of linux that need help in gaming.

Gary

Bet it will be around $1000-150 minimum. Don't see it getting big if the price is too high.

It is not Ubuntu 12.03.... it is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS...

My only problem is I once swore a "Mighty Oath..." to never buy an Fn' console! Now Valve comes along with an open linux gaming platform~! Damn you Gabe!!

For those who only want to bash linux gaming: Linux is open, thus if a full on gaming company decides to invest in optimising linux to play their own gaming stack, you can expect gaming to do quite well.

Valve seems to be serious about investing in the parts of linux that need help in gaming.

Gary

Really, this doesn't seem much like a console to me. No more than I'd call any other prebuilt PC a console. From the sounds of things, it's using off the shelf parts and you can just install Windows on it if that's what you want. Far closer to an Alienware system than an actual console.

The primary goal of Valve is to make PC gaming in the living room easier for the average Joe who knows next to nothing about PCs. Average Joe wants "Buy > Plug In > Play", anything more and they won't bother with making the attempt. :p Everything else (able to install OS of choice, able to use whatever hardware and controller you want, ability to upgrade, etc) is merely icing on the cake. ;)

I think that's why they went with the "console" moniker, since "console" is generally associated with plug and play and the living room.

Why would someone opt for Linux steam instead of Windows?
You would have a miniscule library compared to Windows Steam, not to mention being locked out of every title that isn't a steam label. The cost savings? About the same as Dell or such minus the cost of the Windows licence.
If you go Linux Steam you would most likely be locked into Nvidia HW, go Windows Steam with AMD, and get to play all the same games plus non Steam games, and get the advantage of all the top titles developed for AMD hardware from the consoles.

Ummmm so double the Ps3 price if not more then....funny i dont see the market for it if they are going to be that expensive.

I think the majority of the market for SteamBox would just build their own PC (for less money I'm sure) and install SteamOS instead. I love the idea of SteamOS (especially if Valve can convince more companies to do Linux releases), but selling a SteamBox just seems kinda pointless.

That top-tier spec is basically the Falcon NW Tiki with a Titan in it. Tiki uses a 450W Silverstone 80+ Bronze PSU as the only option

I think the majority of the market for SteamBox would just build their own PC (for less money I'm sure) and install SteamOS instead. I love the idea of SteamOS (especially if Valve can convince more companies to do Linux releases), but selling a SteamBox just seems kinda pointless.

I think for those of us here at [H] the low-end streaming option will be the most valuable, since we already have gaming rigs and all.

I think for those of us here at [H] the low-end streaming option will be the most valuable, since we already have gaming rigs and all.

So then speculation about the AMD Mantle API connection to Valve/Steambox/Steambox can be laid to rest.

Not really. Mantle is clearly not ready for Windows until December, so Valve has no interests in something that won't be ready much later for Linux. It doesn't mean that Valve won't jump on it.

for a titan , Nvidia itself says a min 600 W power supply ,,

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-titan/specifications

I care because if you only need 450 W .. then I will have to apologize to dell for trying to get them to put in a 500 W silver power supply for their 8700 computer with a mid range video card. (min, 500 W it was)

You have to understand that when any GPU or CPU maker lists minimum specs they list it for the average of what exists in the market including some low end PSUs. Since PSU makers often exaggerate by large amounts what the wattage of their PSU is the GPU makers need to protect themselves from customers coming back and saying HEY my GPU crashes or whines. A true speced PSU from a quality brand will be fine with far lower power ratings than the minimum specs. Most people know about how if they open up a DELL which usually has decent PSUs the wattage rated will be surprisingly low even though it might be a powerful workstation.

This is a major issue that honestly the government should probably step in and regulate. But exaggerated wattage claims are endemic to electronic products of all types, especially audio. They can use really funny math to arrive at a number.

...and are too stupid to have already built their own PC.

Yep, i was sort of getting at that idea but didnt want to start another pc vs console debate. So i used laptop because no one builds their own laptops.

there are plenty of hardcore steam gamers that just want to play games and not learn about building computers. Many forum members likely owe careers to these types of consumers. These consumers have money, as evidenced by their steam libraries, and there is nothing wrong with a console manufacturer targeting them, like the neo geo or 3do did

i would love to see a console, with only an upgradable video card. like the xbox upgradable hdd. it would give a console an advantage several times during its decade life time. 4k is around the corner.

My question is this:

What is Valve planning on releasing that would require such power??

Halflife3confirmedomgomg

Source engine 2... Half life 3
Or just so it will last a while before it needs to be upgraded, maybe? It would make no sense for them to spec it out with low end hardware when most PC gamers like to push the graphics to the max, when possible.

I'm on the boat on why does it need those specs, valve should have just released the steam OS beta to everyone so they can actually get real info on the numerous configurations their OS is supposedly have to run on. I'm still skeptic on which market they are really targeting. I wonder what their plans really are, I still like my OS running pretty much everything else without me requiring to hack the OS. and from the sound of it SteamOS this is not.

Or just so it will last a while before it needs to be upgraded, maybe? It would make no sense for them to spec it out with low end hardware when most PC gamers like to push the graphics to the max, when possible.

I'm not really sure all PC gamers "can" push the graphics to the max, there is still this limitation called money :p

Back