static electricity from displays

dopple

Gawd
guys i stay in a hot and dry climate and everytime i sit on the comp my clothes are full of static electricity.

i can discharge whats on my body using an anti static wristband (but not clothes) or something but is there a way to prevent it from accumulating on the clothes without using a humidifier? i mean something that can be adjusted on the display?

Is there any way you can avoid sitting on the computer? Have you tried wearing the clothes instead? Adjusting the display would only change the color of your clothes.

I remember as a kid in school using CRT monitors I would "degauss" the monitor over and over again. The dwoing sound made it fun. LCD's don't need to do this.

In other words... deal with it.

Are your clothes synthetic or cotton? Neither are immune from static electricity but, synthetics are far more prone to having it and holding it. That can be partially mitigated by using a small amount of white vinegar in the wash cycle, washing and drying your synthetics after/separately from non synthetics, and not using things like fabric softener and dryer sheets. Other than that, not dragging your feet as you walk, or replacing the floor surface with something anti-static, you're probably going to have to look at putting some moisture in the air.

Last edited:
Are your clothes synthetic or cotton? Neither are immune from static electricity but, synthetics are far more prone to having it and holding it. That can be partially mitigated by using a small amount of white vinegar in the wash cycle, washing and drying your synthetics after/separately from non synthetics, and not using things like fabric softener and dryer sheets. Other than that, not dragging your feet as you walk, or replacing the floor surface with something anti-static, you're probably going to have to look at putting some moisture in the air.

do these privacy filters work?

or ill invest in non synthetic clothes.

do these privacy filters work?

or ill invest in non synthetic clothes.

Keep in mind that I live in a hot and humid climate zone but, I wouldn't call the environment in the house humid as I've been in a hot and dry climate zone before. Changing the way I did laundry pretty much eliminated the static in my non synthetic clothes and, I used to build up a charge just walking to another location in the house. It will still happen from time to time but it's pretty infrequent. I eventually had to drop synthetic materials (barring the elastic in a waistband or socks) because the static buildup was just absurd where something like a baggy pair of sweat pants would cling like they were skinny jeans. At one point the static shocks were so bad, I swore i could shoot lightning from my fingertips. While it's entertaining to walk up to someone and shock them, it got old having to yank my hand away from a doorknob or anything else that would cause the static to discharge.

It can also help if you take your clothes out of the dryer while they are aren't quite dry but, you will probably have to use an iron after they finish air drying.

As far as replacing the floor to something anti-static goes, I've not done it but, there is a reason the floors are anti-static in a "clean room". I don't know how economical using something like actual ESD flooring would be though.

What type of display are you using? The last one that I can think of that had a noticeable static charge on it was a CRT.

Keep in mind that I live in a hot and humid climate zone but, I wouldn't call the environment in the house humid as I've been in a hot and dry climate zone before. Changing the way I did laundry pretty much eliminated the static in my non synthetic clothes and, I used to build up a charge just walking to another location in the house. It will still happen from time to time but it's pretty infrequent. I eventually had to drop synthetic materials (barring the elastic in a waistband or socks) because the static buildup was just absurd where something like a baggy pair of sweat pants would cling like they were skinny jeans. At one point the static shocks were so bad, I swore i could shoot lightning from my fingertips. While it's entertaining to walk up to someone and shock them, it got old having to yank my hand away from a doorknob or anything else that would cause the static to discharge.

It can also help if you take your clothes out of the dryer while they are aren't quite dry but, you will probably have to use an iron after they finish air drying.

As far as replacing the floor to something anti-static goes, I've not done it but, there is a reason the floors are anti-static in a "clean room". I don't know how economical using something like actual ESD flooring would be though.

What type of display are you using? The last one that I can think of that had a noticeable static charge on it was a CRT.

ive got a crt do it (with anti static coating on it) and an lcd do it. im not sure if its the floor doing it because it is marble+concrete.

maybe just sitting on the computer causes this?

Well, you could look into anti-static floor mats such as these just as a basic example. They're more designed for people working on electronics and such at workstations. They're not exactly low cost.

Back