SSDs Could Get Cheaper with Samsung's Cutting-Edge Tech

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Samsung announced this week that production has begun on 3-bit 3D V-NAND with the potential to drop the pricing of V-NAND flash memory considerably, making it more competitive in the marketplace.

Flash memory is from giant silicon wafers; the more flash memory you can successfully extract from a single wafer, the better. And Samsung says 3-bit V-NAND wafers yield more than twice as much end product compared to wafers of its traditional 10nm 3-bit flash memory

This is great for SSD adoption. I can't imagine any of my future builds not including an ssd.

If they can get a 1 Terabyte drive for 150.00 I'm in for it =) Current price is about 400.00 whatever brand you choose. Have two 256 gig SSD drive I would of got bigger but the price #1 and #2 the price.

Nope, they charged more for their 3D Pro drives, they'll charge relative to those. Maybe after the first generation or two there will be significant declines...

Samsung consistently charges more than Micron, but at least with 3D Nand they have a reason to.

Nope, they charged more for their 3D Pro drives, they'll charge relative to those. Maybe after the first generation or two there will be significant declines...

Samsung consistently charges more than Micron, but at least with 3D Nand they have a reason to.

Give it time. I don't care what they call it, ssd's are are ultimately purchased on price, performance and capacity. They will have price pressure due to competition.

I have a 120 GB SSD in my system now. I think I paid about $110 for it a few years ago. For the same price, I could probably get about a 250 GB drive.

Heck, I've seen 480 GB drives hovering near $200 I believe. I'm close to pulling the trigger on one of these. My 120 boot drive is cramped.

Heck, I've seen 480 GB drives hovering near $200 I believe. I'm close to pulling the trigger on one of these. My 120 boot drive is cramped.

My 240GB is feeling cramped, and I've had it for a few years now. Contemplated getting a 1TB, even at 400 bucks. Just want all the space and not having to worry about installing/uninstalling programs.

Have they figured out what's wrong with their TLC-based drives yet? I'd like that patched before I buy any more 'cutting edge' Samsung products.

They gonna have to price it quite competitively considering how well Crucial's products are positioned in that area. Who cares if the SSD drive is 750% or 900% faster than a hard drive when one saves you $100 bucks?

I'd take the cheaper one every time at those speeds, a game loading in 10 vs 11 seconds is a silly difference.

They gonna have to price it quite competitively considering how well Crucial's products are positioned in that area. Who cares if the SSD drive is 750% or 900% faster than a hard drive when one saves you $100 bucks?

I'd take the cheaper one every time at those speeds, a game loading in 10 vs 11 seconds is a silly difference.

This. But if this new tech can bring the prices down that would be good. As someone else said, a $150 1TB drive would be excellent.

It'll bring prices down, but slowly. As has already been happening. It won't be an overnight change in pricing. Really nothing to see here. Just progress as usual.

But a game loading in 10 seconds vs 40+ seconds is not silly.
Most games it's not noticeable. But for some games, like Shogun 2 or BF4 where you can be loading into battles multiple times over a sitting, can mean much less annoyance. Or in BF4's case, getting in the game before half the map is taken.

As an aside, I HATE completely loading BF4 from scratch every single time when I want to move to a new server when it is installed on HDD. Infuriating.

I'm Waiting for a good 1TB drive like the others, though I'll probably spring for one at 200-250ish. Can't wait!

So, double the yield = quadruple the profit since they are initially going to charge more for this "cutting edge" technology? Then, when prices do start to fall, they're all going to wink lovingly, rub elbows, and pat butt cheeks to magically make up some kind of planned accident happen which is going to drive the pricing back up. Happens almost every year about 1-2 months before Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

"Hey, the best selling 240-256GB SSDs are averaging $150 in retail and they're selling like mad fuck. Bad news, though: the only thing 'broken' about our current business profits are the prices, so it's time for some 'fixing'...let's find a way to jack up the prices so that they're retailing for around $180 or so. Then we'll throw some small incentives to the distributors and retailers so they can put them on a BF/CM sale for around $150. They'll be flying off the shelves because those dumbass consumers will think they are the ones getting a steal! HAHAHAHA we're so brilliant that no one will ever catch on to what we're doing!"

But a game loading in 10 seconds vs 40+ seconds is not silly.
Most games it's not noticeable. But for some games, like Shogun 2 or BF4 where you can be loading into battles multiple times over a sitting, can mean much less annoyance. Or in BF4's case, getting in the game before half the map is taken.

As an aside, I HATE completely loading BF4 from scratch every single time when I want to move to a new server when it is installed on HDD. Infuriating.

I'm Waiting for a good 1TB drive like the others, though I'll probably spring for one at 200-250ish. Can't wait!

I was talking about differences between modern SSDs not SSDs and HDDs, in this case I was referring to Crucial's M500/M550/MX100 (%750) vs Samsung's 840/840Pro/840Evo/850Pro (%900), yes there's a theoretical difference in performance but you'd usually miss it in the real world if you blink.

What you wont miss is the savings from the competing Crucial drive, so hopefully this time around Samsung decides to compete on price more.

To me this is very frustrating hopefully other flash manufacturers can create 3D NAND soon so we have competition.

Nope, they charged more for their 3D Pro drives

To be fair, the 850 Pro is VERY fast and shouldn't have any issues with data retention thanks to being back on the 40nm process size.

Cheap 16nm drives from Crucial are slower AND you have to worry about how long data will last on an un-powered drive (electrons like to leak out of 16nm flash cells, resulting in data simply vanishing over time).

Higher price for a higher-quality product *shrug*

Samsung announced this week that production has begun on 3-bit 3D V-NAND with the potential to drop the pricing of V-NAND flash memory considerably, making it more competitive in the marketplace.

I bought a 128 MB 850 Pro on Pre-order for my game boxes OS install and so far so good. I think Samsung will be my main source for SSD's for quite some time to come. I'll bet when the hardware reviews of that 3 bit 3D NAND comes it it too will be blazingly fast. :D

Back