Sound Card Noob Question

flegg

[H]ard|Gawd
Are there half-decent sound cards that can be placed in PCI-E x16 slots?

The only reason I haven't bought a UD3P mobo yet is I need a slot for a wireless card and a slot for the sound card. After I place my cooling system I will only have one PCI slot left as well as the other PCI-E slot that is meant(?) for crossfire.

I stand corrected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

PCIe slots come in a variety of physically different sizes referred to by the maximum lane count they support. Common sizes are x1, x4, x8, x16 . A PCIe card will fit into a slot of its size or bigger, but not into a smaller PCIe slot.

Confirmed - I had a machine with 3 PCI-E x 16 (actually 2 of them were x8's ) was one of the x48 or x56 intel extreme boards. 2 PCI-e x1 and 1 PCI-e x4. I had a video card, and 5 Hauppauge 1800 hd tv tuners in that thing. Worked wonders. All 5 tuners worked simultaneously without a hitch.

Creative make a pretty good PCI-e soundcard now, a version of the X-Fi Titanium.
Dont get the old PCI-e X-Fi Xtreme audio card (no hardware acceleration).

Confirmed - I had a machine with 3 PCI-E x 16 (actually 2 of them were x8's ) was one of the x48 or x56 intel extreme boards. 2 PCI-e x1 and 1 PCI-e x4. I had a video card, and 5 Hauppauge 1800 hd tv tuners in that thing. Worked wonders. All 5 tuners worked simultaneously without a hitch.

Just curious, why would you need 5 tv tuners?

So you can record multiple TV show's at the same time.

This.

Project was to eventually result in a networked multicast streaming HD TV solution. Client PC's were to connect to any of the multiple streams served up by the cards. In the end the dev cost was too much and we found a few solutions that already did that. So we became dealers...

Back