Sony Xperia 1 V

The real question isn't so much capability as price. The Xperia 1 IV was $1,600 on launch, which put it out of contention when its main rivals of the time (the Galaxy S22 Ultra and iPhone 13 Pro Max) were overall better phones for hundreds less. Sony is a much smaller phone manufacturer and is catering to something of a niche, but it also has to realize that its brand name no longer demands that kind of a premium even with a 4K screen.

If they made the camera less susceptible to glare that'd be a big help.

Looks like the camera system did get a big upgrade, but $1,400... even with 256GB of expandable storage, that's a lot. You'll have to really prefer Sony's camera tech or insist on a 4K screen to justify it.

Great phone, sucky price, as usual with Soni's stuff :D

If it was $8-900, I would have already bought one (or 4 :)).....

It's a camera that happens to have a cell phone.
Using this for snapshots in auto (basic) mode is like buying a full frame kit and shooting jpg auto! :-P

^^^

Looks amazing on my 16" MBP here.
Your 16 inch MacBook Pro is an impressive laptop. The publisher of that video is getting peppered with questions asking what settings he used for recording.

Last edited:
One of the few Android phones actually offering a unique value proposition.
Not sure if this phone also includes the same tech, but older Sony Xperias (specifically the Pro model) were also capable of being used as camera monitors. Having an HDMI port - allowing them to be camera agnostic, as opposed to pairing only to Sony mirrorless cameras.
The unfortunate part there being, the top end monitor manufacturer in cinema's most expensive on camera monitor is $2200. And it has much better tools, professional connections (SDI), swappable batteries (L-mount, Gold-Mount, or V-Mount), the option for best in class radio wireless (through Teradek), and a much brighter HDR display. SmallHD (said manufacturer) also has a $1000 model and a $1500 model (market segmentation).

But if you want a phone that can do both, then there isn't anything else like this. And it has a 4k display, and likely some of the best images that can be taken from a phone period. Much better than anything RED produced. Anyway, whether those side benefits are enough to justify its cost is a whole other question. I think most, including myself, would much rather have something like an iPhone Pro and a separate monitor for my camera, despite that being "double the cost" to buy both.

If you just have lots of money to spend though and justifying cost isn't a concern, then certainly this phone is much more 'elite' than virtually any other option.

Not sure if this phone also includes the same tech, but older Sony Xperias (specifically the Pro model) were also capable of being used as camera monitors. Having an HDMI port - allowing them to be camera agnostic, as opposed to pairing only to Sony mirrorless cameras.

The Sony Xperia 1 V can be used as a camera monitor. New for the Xperia 1 V you get better display information; now included for example is the peaking, zebras, waveforms and more that the reviewer you pointed us to was looking for. In addition you now get the capability to record directly to the phone storage. The external monitor mode can also work on non-Sony mirrorless cameras. Juan Bagnell takes you on a tour of the Xperia 1 V external monitor mode and uses a Panasonic Lumix G85 4K digital camera and a Panasonic Lumix G9 4K digital camera.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BtTAY4CeSo&t=425s

Last edited:
Back