SONY SDM-P234B. Another 16ms 23" LCD.

for backlighting in tv screens I am sure with extra 50,000 hours extra you get with LED over lcd. For my money that good value. You are also right not having to wait. I guess comes down to how long you want to wait. I am still doing my research on a good CRT or LCD or LED LCD. I guess I can wait awhile gotta save up money anyways.

but have u heard about LED´s with 23"? another question anybody knows something about 23"´s with 12ms, another one, have sony announced the news 23"s with xbrite? cause i have read something about that somewhere.

i hope people realize that sony, hp, and apple use their 23" LCD from LG. They are the same panel and have the same visual quality. The only difference is inputs, appearance, and price. Sony is very nice looking but they slap a premium for their name. I own a HP L2335 which is different from the ugly hp 23" with the speakers, most people dont realize they make two 23" LCD's. The L2335 is found on their business section and the other on the home user section.

Also... i dont think the L2335 is ugly. Personally i think the light up letters are tacky on the sony but please keep this in mind:
"opinions are like assholes.... everyone has one and everyone thinks the other one's stink! :p "

Krazy_Joe said:
Also... i dont think the L2335 is ugly. Personally i think the light up letters are tacky on the sony but please keep this in mind:
"opinions are like assholes.... everyone has one and everyone thinks the other one's stink! :p "
The Sony display is very nice but I would have to agree with you there. Besides being a little tacky, wouldn't the lit-up logo also be distracting?

Can anybody tell me please how to turn off the sony logo on the lsc?? I know that is possible, just do not know how to do it.

Is there a fan in the power supply for this monitor?

I have an earlier 23 inch Sony P232W that has an annoying 40mm fan in it which is a bit noicy. I am going to replace it with a Papst three years from now when the guarantee has ended.

bonitacio,
Turning the Sony logo off is an option in the OSD. I can't remember what the setting is called right now but it is pretty obvious once you see it. Just go through your options and you will find it. I hope you enjoy your new monitor. Mine is still in negotiations with Amex and Monitorsdirect.

I found this Sony SDM-P234B on Dell's website for $1565!!! My decision on which 23"/24" LCD to buy just got a lot tougher!

24" is 25ms but have better colors, sony is 16ms but black and white is not perfect, i bought the sony because if you have no other lcd to compare colors, u get used to it :)

I like many others am considering buying the Sony SDM-P234B monitor but can someone clarify the HDTV compatibility issue for me. I have read through this thread and I see a few times that people have said it is NOT HDTV compatible. The equivelant HP / Apple / Viewsonic all are (and seem to have the same specs 1920x1200) so what make the Sony different. I understood that for something to be HDTV then it had to be able to display 720p or 1080i but does this not relate to the native resolution. As you may gather I am not really clued up about this :confused:

I don't see how this monitor differs from the Apple - same resolution and thus should be HDTV ready. I must say I bought under that assumption.

I have just acquired 2 of these and I am delighted with them - only one with DVI at the moment until the new rig arrives.

Hey I’ve been doing a bit of reading on the topic of HD compatibility and think I may have found the reason why the Sony SDM-P234B monitor may not be HD compatible. It has nothing to do with the resolution that the monitor can run at, it is to do with the DVI connection. In the future DVI and HDMI interfaces are going to become very popular due to there large bandwidths and pure digital video streams. Next generation DVD or Blu-Ray players as well as HD Sky and HD cable services are going to be outputting using DVI and HDMI, producing pure digital streams of video to provide the highest quality picture. However this poses a huge copyright issue, it would be to easy to copy this high quality pure digital stream and produce perfect copies. So to try and prevent this a form of encryption is added to the video stream, High-Definition Content Protection (HDCP) this prevents to stream being copied. So if the monitor is not capable of decrypting this stream then it will either not display the video or will display it at 480i resoultion.
However this encyption has already been cracked even before it has become main stream.
It is a requirement that all new HD tvs that have the logo “HD Ready” are compatable with HDCP so there should be no problem for normal TVs just PC monitor doubling up as TV’s however I personaly do not see this as being a big issue, yes it will be a pain in the ass but there will be filters that can be added to the connecion to strip out this encryption maybe even in a few years a software solution. You’ve seen it yourself DVD was ment to be uncopyable but now you can make a perfect copy in ten minuets, data encryption doesn’t work and there will always be a way around it. So I’ll still be buying my Sony SDM-P234B at the end of the month its to good a monitor.

Hi,

I've been reading this whole thread, and some others. It took some days, but i want to know everything there is to know before i lose 1400 euro's on some crap monitor.

I just want to add some stuff;

- There's a post in this thread from a user who does not like the Sony monitor because he dislikes the colors and viewing angle. I assume he didn't calibrate his screen like Jerry and other people in this thread did, otherwise he should of said that.
On the other hand, if you compare an S-IPS screen with an S-PVA, ofcourse the PVA will have better colors and a better viewing angle. But i aint buying it because of the input lag.

- HDReady: TV's are HD ready if they support the 720p lines! It's only vertical, not horizontal! So if you have a television with 3 pixels horizontal and 720p vertical, it's still legal to put a HD TV READY logo on it. :(
Also, i don't think its so easy to hack the encrypted HD stream. Ofcourse it is possible, everything is possible with zero's and one's (0101000111000), but i am not sure it even will be cracked ever. Look at all the new encryptions and security stuff like starforce, it took a long time to crack it and some games still aren't cracked.

As a good alternative, i think the ViewSonic vp231wb is a good one. It has the same S-IPS panel (also 16ms) and has a nicer feet (adjustable) plus you can pivot it. It also comes with a zero dead pixel warranty and has HDMI support. The only thing is, it doesn't comes good out of the Toms Hardware Guide test. :(

Back